Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oxygen Details & Suggestions? (Read 1462 times)
lori_p
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Napa, CA, USA
Oxygen Details & Suggestions?
Feb 25th, 2011 at 1:30am

Hi there,

I've been searching around the board for a few tweaks to my current oxygen regimen, but my cycle decided to start going a bit crazy today (8 CH so far, mostly 4-5s and aborted with oxygen but the last one a 9 that nothing, not even Zomig helped), and it's making it hard to look at a screen for too long.  So I know this is answered somewhere, but I'd be so grateful if someone could redirect me, or weigh in.  Smiley

As background, I've had CHs on and off for about 17 years, and thanks to this board discovered oxygen therapy when I got hit with a cycle during my pregnancy with my oldest daughter (about 10 yrs ago).  I range in remission from 1-3 years, with this last one being 3.5 years.  But alas, they've returned.  Cry  I typically use oxygen as much as possible to abort, then Zomig or Imitrex if it isn't working.  I don't like Imitrex though - makes me feel like my chest is collapsing inward - very scary!  So this time around I've stuck with Zomig.  I usually go on Verapamil, but I hate the way it makes me feel so tired and low, so I've avoided starting it.  I've also tried Lithium many, many years ago - it worked but the risks worried me.  The last cycle I used Prednisone, which did help for a bit then they came back, but finished soon after.  Again, I'd like to avoid the side effects.  I'm going to try the D2 and Omega3 regimen and see how that works...

But my question is really about the oxygen, which isn't working that well... or at least not as well as I think or remember it working in the past.

I've basically been on and off oxygen all day today, almost hourly, finally taking some Zomig (disintegrating 5.0) with my last CH which didn't actually help until about 45 minutes later, and the oxygen didn't touch it (this was the 9).  Now it's just a dull shadow (about a 2, for the past hour or so).

I think a big part of my problem is that I was supplied with a oxygen concentrator vs. tanks for this round.  This particular concentrator goes to 10 lpm.  I realized as the CHs got worse in the cycle that I needed more lpm, so earlier this week they changed it to 2 concentrators, daisy chained together (one 10 lpm and one 8 lpm), and they also gave me a re-breather mask (they originally gave me a cannula).  But even together, I think that it's not 100% oxygen is the problem.  I'm getting relief, but it's slow and doesn't seem to fully leave it, so it's back within 1-1.5 hours.

So, my questions are... until I can convince the med supplier to switch to tanks & a 15lpm regulator, any suggestions on getting the most out of the system I do have?

Also, I keep seeing folks mention different breathing techniques they use as they breathe their oxygen... is there a thread with more details on that?  Or feel free to reply here with any pointers. 

Thanks so much - sorry for writing a book!
Lori
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2011 at 1:31am by lori_p »  

IP Logged

Batty
CH.com Veteran

I thought it was CH...but
my helmet is too tight!

E'Port Cheshire UK
Re: Oxygen Details & Suggestions?
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 1:37am

Hi Lori!
I'm sure Batch will be along soon to answer your questions!
Not familiar with the concentrator but you may be told to forget it!

Most O2 users here find 25lpm is the Minimum flow rate to achieve quick relief!

Regards

Gary

PS Write as much as you want to, the more info you give us, the more able we are to help!
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2011 at 4:41pm by Batty »  

"An old Wolf may lose his teeth, but never his nature.."
paskahomma  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 7:56am

Hi Lori, and Gary nailed it. O2 concentrators have been tried before, and very few (actually only 1 person I remember) reported anywhere near good results. O2 is best used at high flows (minimum, bare minimum of 15lpm; better at 25+lpm) and a non-rebreather mask is critical. The deal is, you want to completely oxygenate your lungs and all those little lung things (alveoli and other capillaries) by purging the extra room air gases with O2. So...when you start, deep breathe rapidly, and exhale completely even to the point of coughing or wheezing, and sustain this for a couple of minutes. Then, breathe only O2 and maybe even remove your mask for exhalation so as not to contaminate your lungs with room air, rapidly and deeply. Once you begin to feel somewhat lightheaded cuz of hyperventilation (it's what you want) the pain should begin to subside, you can cut the flow a bit, and go with slow and deep chest breaths. Hard to remember all that stuff when it hurts so bad, but really, all you're trying to do is switch your lungs over from room air to pure O2. We also have found chugging a Red Bull, Monster or 5Hr Energy drink (any drink with a combo of taurine 1000mgs and caffeine 85mgs) helps abort times a lot. Get the real stuff, high flow regulators and non-rebreather mask. You'll be glad you did. God bless. lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 8:35am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Read this link, print out the supporting data. Take it to your doctor, have him write you a prescription for 100% high flow oxygen therapy at 25 LPM.

The 2 critical keys to making oxygen work are 100% oxygen to the lungs, started immediately upon feeling the beast starting to attack. The 02 concentrators fail you on BOTH points. They have a warm up period while they crank up to close to 100% 02. If I delay my 02 even a few minutes it substantially increases my abort times.

As to the come back attacks. I have found that drinking an energy drink while I abort with oxygen seems to speed the abort time, and delays the come backer attacks. For taste I prefer sugar free red bull.

I get really pissed when these arrogant pricks who work for medical supply companies, feel they know best what a medical patient needs. I had a freaking warehouse foreman at my old oxygen supply company, tell me that high flow oxygen wasn't the best way to treat CH. A freaking warehouse foreman! (No slight to any warehouse foreman on the board, I just don't rely on you for my medical advice! Grin)

Become an aggressive advocate for your care, tell the idiots at your current company they are fired, find someone that will listen to what the medical community says! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Glassman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Ohio
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 9:10am

My wife (Kathy) is a lampworker (she makes glass beads at a torch  Smiley). She got a medical oxygen generator.  The filters inside the generator (or whatever they are) that collect the O2 will clog over time and become much less efficient producing much less O2 than when new.  To replace them is pricey.  They sell commercial oxygen generators that produce a better rate of O2 but they cost an arm and a leg and a half and they still will over time produce less O2 requiring replacement of costly filters.  Best to stick with the bottled O2. Batch is the local "go to" man for the info on that. You may need to get an O2 tank lease set up with a local welding gas supplier if you're having trouble with the medical supply company -that's what I'm currently doing is getting my own set up so I don't have to rely on having to get a prescription - during this past cycle, I eventually got the basics of what I needed but my Doc wasn't all that knowledgable of O2, didn't prescribe a high enough flow rate, and the medical O2 was expensive since my insurance refused to cover it  Angry.  There's great information on this site...here's hoping you get some quick relief!
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2011 at 9:20am by Glassman »  

Maine Coon Cat Crazy

IP Logged

lori_p
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Napa, CA, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 4:10pm

Thanks so much everyone - I really appreciate your quick and very helpful replies!!!  I know it's been said many, many times already, but what a gift this board is & what a wealth of information and experience!  I've been back here every episode since 2000, and each time I learn something new and incredibly helpful.  It's very inspiring to see how folks can get together to help one another, even in their most challenged moments.  Thank you.

As an update, I've called the medical supply company, who have been incredibly helpful (it's more me trying to figure it out, then waiting for the changes to take effect).  They are a smaller operation than my last supplier, and they have been responsive & caring about finding a solution, and I think a bit curious.  I don't think they've ever dealt with a CH sufferer before.  Being smaller though, also means they have recently moved to smaller tanks across their supply (most of their clients want/need small amounts that are more portable).  Their looking though for a 15 or 25 LPM regulator and will supply multiple tanks - so I'm crossing my fingers for a better solution to arrive later today.

If it's helpful for other CHers, the oxygen concentrators were helpful to me during the first 2 weeks of this cycle, when my headaches tend to be milder (4-6 with an occasional 7/8).  But as I started peaking, and they all seem to be 7-9s now, and much more frequent, and the oxygen concentrators seem to not be fully booting them out, or not working at all.

I'll also try the breathing techniques & Red Bull.  I haven't had much luck with the energy drinks on their own, but maybe as a starter to an oxygen abort they may work better.

For those who use energy drinks, do they seem to affect your sleep if used in the middle of the night (when I get my worst attacks)?

Thank you all again!
Lori

IP Logged

Batty
CH.com Veteran

I thought it was CH...but
my helmet is too tight!

E'Port Cheshire UK
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 5:04pm

wimsey1 wrote on Feb 25th, 2011 at 7:56am:
O2 is best used at high flows (minimum, bare minimum of 15lpm; better at 25+lpm) and a non-rebreather mask is critical. The deal is, you want to completely oxygenate your lungs and all those little lung things (alveoli and other capillaries) by purging the extra room air gases with O2. So...when you start, deep breathe rapidly, and exhale completely even to the point of coughing or wheezing, and sustain this for a couple of minutes. Then, breathe only O2 and maybe even remove your mask for exhalation so as not to contaminate your lungs with room air, rapidly and deeply. Once you begin to feel somewhat lightheaded cuz of hyperventilation (it's what you want) the pain should begin to subside, you can cut the flow a bit, and go with slow and deep chest breaths. Hard to remember all that stuff when it hurts so bad, but really, all you're trying to do is switch your lungs over from room air to pure O2. We also have found chugging a Red Bull, Monster or 5Hr Energy drink (any drink with a combo of taurine 1000mgs and caffeine 85mgs) helps abort times a lot. Get the real stuff, high flow regulators and non-rebreather mask. You'll be glad you did. God bless. lance

Hi Lance, IMO, this needs pinning next to Chuck's 'OXYGEN terms explained'...
And IS a crash course, simply explained, in what to do when you actually get your O2 home!

Respect

Gary

"An old Wolf may lose his teeth, but never his nature.."
paskahomma  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 7:24pm

The energy drinks by themselves did not work for me. I use them now with the oxygen, They seem to speed the abort and help push back the vome backer attacks.

If I drink one in the wee hours after a wake up attack, I'm done sleeping for the night. I'm fortunate in that I rarely get multiple nite time hits. usually it's one and done, hit it with the 02 and I'm good for the night.

joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!