Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sudafed/Congestion/O2 Questions (Read 792 times)
lori_p
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Napa, CA, USA
Sudafed/Congestion/O2 Questions
Feb 23rd, 2011 at 11:51pm

Hi there,

So glad this site is here, although I have to say, it makes me sad each time I have to return...

So, I've had CHs on and off for the past 17 years (I'm 38), and I'm always hopeful when a cycle ends that perhaps it will be my last... sigh.  I actually went 3.5 years before this new cycle started a few weeks ago.  It seemed to be triggered this time by an ear infection/head cold...

I keep hoping that once the congestion leaves, this cycle will calm down.  But only time will tell.

But the congestion leads me to a few questions - I'm hoping someone may weigh in...

Is there any reason I should avoid taking Sudafed?  My nasal passages are so clogged I worry that my O2 treatments aren't working as well.  Also, there was no 12 hour at the pharmacy, just the 24 hour. Not sure that matters.

Is it possible the oxygen is causing my congestion?  I don't feel bad otherwise, no cold aches or fever.  But what started as an ear ache a few weeks ago, seems to have moved to my chest & nose.  It may just be a yucky virus.  It just that seems to be worse in the mornings after I've been woken 3-6 times with headaches (mostly aborted with 02), and I wonder if the oxygen is causing/worsening the congestion.

Other than that, I'm taking Zomig when the 02 doesn't work, or when I'm just tired of waking up 6 times and I know it will knock me out. 

Any new meds/treatments that have cropped up in the past few years that I should also check out? 

Many thanks!
Lori

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Sudafed/Congestion/O2 Questions
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 8:28am

Antihistamines can actually help in the early stages of CHs. And I don't think the O2 is the cause of your congestion. Congestion makes it hard to breathe in the O2 through your nose, and the attack is often accompanied by a runny nose. Some of us use 4Way Nasal spray, or something similar. It, too, seems to be of some value in helping to abort a hit. As to new stuff, you should check the links here and pay special attention to the stuff you haven't yet tried: melatonin, kudzu, ph diets, high levels of O2 and verpamil and lithium...that kind of stuff. Not all is new but stuff like the energy drinks (Red Bull, Monster, etc) is promising. Good luck and God bless. lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Sudafed/Congestion/O2 Questions
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2011 at 10:28am

I'm a so-cal boy myself, San Diego. If you have the same virus that ran thru here a couple months ago, it started as a head cold and settled HEAVILY in the chest for many weeks. Was a bear to get rid of. Been a couple months and my lungs still aren't completely clear.

You speak of being woke up several times a nite. Lot's of success on the board avoiding nite time hits using an OTC sleep aid, melatonin. Start with 9 mg. about 30 minutes before you go to bed. May have to adjust that dosing up or down a whisker, some had success at lower levels, some went as high as 15 mg. Give it a couple of days to work. One board member takes half his dose in standard release form, half his dose in extended release. Says it gets him thru the whole night.

You didn't mention a prevent med in your arsenal, a med you take daily to lessen intensity and or frequency of hits. Verapamil is a common first line prevent, I use Lithium on cycle, blocks 60-70% of my attacks. Worth talking to the doc about.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Then have a look see here, alternative means of treating CH. A lot of people sharing some pretty amazing success stories over there.

Joe

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!