Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CH precursors? (Read 8968 times)
wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
CH precursors?
Feb 4th, 2011 at 7:34am

I was interested in the discussion on a previous thread about CHs and auras. I don't get visual auras, but there are definite precursors to my getting a hit. For me, it starts with something I can only describe as a kind of buzzing in my nose on the affected side, like there's a hive of bees up there. If I don't act to abort quickly, it progresses to a buildup of pressure on the affected side, and then turns into a CH hit. Does anyone else have identifiable events prior to a hit?  Are all auras visual by definition? Just curious. lance

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: CH precursors?
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 8:46am

This is one of two citations in the last 15-years!
========
Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2001 Feb;5(1):55-9. 

Premonitory symptoms in cluster headache.

Raimondi E.

Catedra de Neurologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, 9 de Julio 3826, Rosario 2002 PKP, Argentina. raimondi@cablenet.com.ar

Cluster headache is one of the most excruciating headaches affecting human beings--especially the male sex. Most of the cluster headache cases are of episodic nature, with active cluster periods lasting generally between a few weeks and 2 or 3 months. A still undetermined percentage of patients report nonpainful sensations preceding the onset of the pain attack for a variable period of time. If occurring only a few minutes or a few hours before the onset of pain, such symptoms are called prodromal. When occurring for several days, weeks, or months before the pain, they are termed premonitory symptoms. The author believes that premonitory symptoms have not been properly diagnosed and emphasizes the need to investigate their presence, because by knowing them advances can be made in the understanding of the physiopathology of this particular cephalalgia. Furthermore, it can also allow the physician to be ahead, by giving preventive treatment and stopping or diminishing the intensity and duration of the pain attacks.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 11252138 

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 8:59am

Not an aura, a feeling almost of doom. (I've heard the same description used by people in the early stages of a heart attack) Before there are any physical sensations, I start feeling terrified, when I'll turn to Christ in an almost panic and say I'm in trouble!

Within a minute or two, the pressure will start in my right ear, the eye starts drooping, the tension starts up the neck, and he's baaaack!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 8:16pm

My other half always seems to know when I'll get one. She notices that I'll sometimes repeat words when I'm talking, almost as if stuttering, or notice that I'm on edge. For myself, I just feel a bit irritable, audio-phobic and just not quite right. Sometimes those feelings just fade away after a few minutes but normally in a minute or three I'll suddenly get hit by a CH.

Then it's a case of getting to my oxygen and telling the beast where to go.

IP Logged

37-41withrestrictions
CH.com Veteran

NOT SO PF AT THE MOMENT

Chester UK
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 6:53am

Usually about an hour before I get a hit my nose starts dripping (only on the right side - my hit side) its as if I have left the tap on!
I also repeat myself and feel very very anxious like you describe Joe a feeling of impending doom.

So when I reach for a hankie, repeat and pace I know I'm about to get a visit from an unwanted guest!  Angry
Sue

If you see something you want.. reach out and grab it with both hands.....just watch out you dont get a smack in the chops for grabbing the wrong thing!!!
suzieq6343  
IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 10:14am

Ask your partner/SO if they've noticed any particular *quirks* before a headache starts.

I know with Jimbo, he tends to put pressure on a particular spot (in fact, that spot is permanently dented now).  Some people are hair pullers, some people get a jumpy leg, etc.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Samiam
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Philadelphia PA
Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 12:59pm

I also get that ill feeling that I'm about to get hit.  I also get a weird feeling in my stomach.  Like the sympathetic par sympathetic nervous systems is being stimulated. 

During a cycle my whole personality changes.  I tend to be more on edge and very irritable.  I tend to be withdrawn.  I also get the pressure behind my left eye that it starts at a 1 and grows.

I think we all get some kind of warning that we all know just what's about to come.  I think for some of us it's really hard to describe we just know.

Sami

"A smart man learns from his mistakes......A wise man learns from the mistakes of others"

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:43pm

I get a "funny Feeling" (no, not THAT funny feeling).

I can't really put it into words.....just that "something" that tells me hell is fixin' to come calling....get to an O2 tank...like NOW!

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

jonhughes
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 7:58pm

My normal fun loving self disappears, I become irritable, nervous...I know its coming....it's weird....right eye becomes teary, red...others have noticed and asked if I'm okay...only if they knew that in about 30 minutes I'll be on my hands and knees....

IP Logged

Melby29
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:32pm

Even though the pain of my attacks is worst at the back of my head, I usually get precursor pain in the form of stabbing above my right eye, or sinus pain on the right side, or both. Then I know that within the next few hours, I'll get hit with a whammy. Sometimes the same pain comes back for the duration of the attack, sometimes not.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 7:29am

Hmmm...more similarities than I would have thought. I'd like others to jump in here, too. Perhaps it's something that Dr Goadsby could address? Bob, only two citations in 15 years. Would the fact that we do have precursors aid in research do you think? But more to the point for us, do you find paying attention to the precursor and slamming your favorite abortives at all helpful?  I know I tend to wait a bit to see if it's real, and really coming. I'm stupid. The precursors are 100% in predicting the onset of a hit. It's me that wants it to turn out differently every time. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

erk
CH.com Junior

bunker hill , west virginia
Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2011 at 5:42pm

Since I suffer mainly nightime hits, I just wakeup at about kip 6 or 7. But for daytime hits, it starts by gettting coming and going orbital pain and a burning sensation in the nostril on the side of my attacks and within 10 min.s ...its on.

IP Logged

Glassman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Ohio
Reply #12 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 12:15am

I don't get premonitions that the cycle is coming on but....
When in cycle and they wake me out of dead sleep, I have heard in my ear that's on the same side as the pain, a barely perceptible "tingk....tueeeeeeeeeeeeee!" that rises in pitch until I can't hear it any more and then the pain starts.

During this most recent cycle, I had a couple of  strange dreams that I was being stalked. Once, by a water snake that morphed into a spiky, muscular, fanged, gaping jawed prehistoric cat.

Maine Coon Cat Crazy

IP Logged

Glassman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Ohio
Reply #13 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 12:22am

I wish there was a way to edit these posts after posting them! I accidentally hit post instead of preview...
I wanted to add that when the prehistoric cat with the steel trap jaws turned and stared at me I ran like the dickens and escaped down a flight of stairs to a secret basement where it couldn't get me. 
At that moment I awoke with the pain just beginning to build and I ran downstairs which is where I keep my O2 and got rid of the beast!

Maine Coon Cat Crazy

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #14 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 8:20am

How absolutely Jungian of you. Get archetypal dreams often?lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #15 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 10:09am

Glassman wrote on Feb 11th, 2011 at 12:22am:
I wish there was a way to edit these posts after posting them! I accidentally hit post instead of preview...
I wanted to add that when the prehistoric cat with the steel trap jaws turned and stared at me I ran like the dickens and escaped down a flight of stairs to a secret basement where it couldn't get me. 
At that moment I awoke with the pain just beginning to build and I ran downstairs which is where I keep my O2 and got rid of the beast!

Hit the "modify" button in the top right corner of your post. You can then modify your post. It's considered "Internet polite" to add a ps for your edit..such as

edited for spelling...to add something...etc.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #16 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 10:27am

No, no premonitory symptoms. 

I almost always get hit at night during REM sleep.  By the time I'm awake, it's just me and the thing coming on like a freight train.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Glassman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Ohio
Reply #17 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 10:47am

Much obliged, Joe!
P.S. I did it!
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2011 at 10:48am by Glassman »  

Maine Coon Cat Crazy

IP Logged

Glassman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Ohio
Reply #18 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 10:50am

I do get my fair share, Lance. But that one was a doozy!

Maine Coon Cat Crazy

IP Logged

chewbaccamonkeylunch
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Weatherford, TX
Reply #19 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 2:38pm

yup, whenever the lights start irritating me...might be the kitchen light or the bathroom light or the hallway light, but one of them will just be TOO bright Smiley ...then I know I'm about 25 min away from a hit. BTW I think all lights are too bright all of the time, but I know it's just me...they normally don't irritate me.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #20 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 4:16pm

Days before a cycle starts I am like a bloodhound.  I can smell everything.   It's not fun, let me tell you Undecided

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #21 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 5:46pm

I'm real "edgy" about a week before it starts.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #22 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:18am

Normally a few weeks before a cycle starts I'll get a slight burning sensation on the temple (rhs) or a kind of mini hit that lasts a minute or two.  I'm getting those now so I guess another is on the way.  Oh the joys  Roll Eyes

During a cycle I usually get hit in the night so just bam and its a happening thing.  Although last cycle I did get some day hits and that was tricky - felt like it was comming on all day and sometimes never eventuated - frustrating!  Rather just wake with it and deal with it!!

IP Logged

primetime
CH.com Junior

Still standing....barely

Baltimore, MD
Reply #23 - Feb 14th, 2011 at 3:20pm

The best way I can describe the prelude to a hit is pressure. My right eye and right side of my head feel heavy, my eye feels like it's bulging. Then, the watery eye starts, to go with the stuffy right nostril

Sometimes, it never gets further along then that. I get a lot of daytime hits that are along the lines of Kip 4-5ish. I guess they're almost really bad shadows? Not sure how else to describe it.

This leads me to a sort of related questions......does anyone have cycles that are different? In other words does the time of day, frequency of hits, duration of hits and severity of hits remain consistent from one cycle to the next? Or does it vary?

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

Martin
CH.com Veteran

Ready for anything this
world can dish!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #24 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 2:33pm

primetime wrote on Feb 14th, 2011 at 3:20pm:
The best way I can describe the prelude to a hit is pressure. My right eye and right side of my head feel heavy, my eye feels like it's bulging. Then, the watery eye starts, to go with the stuffy right nostril

Sometimes, it never gets further along then that. [...] This leads me to a sort of related questions......does anyone have cycles that are different?

I'm in cycle, and have shadows pop up and I'm never sure when they'll turn into a full blow cluster attack.  Mostly I feel fine, but will have very short bursts of pain, lots of pressure behind the eye, even watering and runny nose but goes away within 5 minutes.  Its annoying, as I sit on edge waiting for one of these shadows to blow up into an attack..

My cycle is worse than ever; and its different than the last time (except 930am is pretty consistent time) but all through afternoon evening night i get hits anytime and they are sometimes very bad kip 10 and sometimes only 4-5s.  always keeping me on my toes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!