Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trigeminal Nerve Block (Read 3254 times)
dsw
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Boston Area
Trigeminal Nerve Block
Nov 6th, 2010 at 10:20am

Hey gang, diane here, wife of Bob who is in the middle of a Bad Crisis time. I sent my thanks to you all last Thnksgiving when we were "at the edge of a cliff" with the CH. He has had some relief this year, however is back into full blown hurt. His Neuro has put him in for a Trigeminal Nerve Block this monday. Always the optimist I'm praying for his relief. Anyone out there received this block? Info as to procedure and prayers that it works for him would be greatly appreciated. Hugs to you all.
di

♬and in the end the love you take
is equal to the love you make ♬

IP Logged

Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Re: Trigeminal Nerve Block
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 10:42am

If I understand what they're sending him for correctly, it's nothing more than some shots of lidocaine, maybe some steroid in the side of the head and over the eye. They inject several times and it's not pleasant but is bearable. I'v had this done several times and it help to relieve pain almost immediately. For me it lasts only about a week, but for others it can last up to a couple of months. Also, it doesn't stop my major attacks, only the ongoing pain and shadows. -Chris
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2010 at 10:43am by Chris H »  

IP Logged

Katie C.
CH.com Junior

Northeast Ohio
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 7:03am

My understanding about nerve blocks is that they are a "bridge" therapy, meaning that they don't last very long, but can provide relief until long-term preventatives kick in. I have only received an occipital nerve block, but would imagine that the trigeminal nerve block would be a similar treatment.

Is he on anything other preventatives or abortives?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

We all know how horrific these attacks are and wish you the best.

Good luck.

~ Katie

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
WWW Katie C.  
IP Logged

dsw
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Boston Area
Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 7:45am

Thanks Katie.
Yes, he is on the preventative train of Verapamil, tried Indomethycine (worked great but severly affected his stomach so he had to stop), & Amytriptaline. Did the medrol 7 day steroid 3 weeks ago (has worked great in past but relief for only 2 weeks). We have Imitrex shots, Zomig sprays and tablets and o2. Our Neuro is great, from the John R. Graham Headache center here in Boston. Still trying to find the right fix. Stay tuned...we're only 24 hours away from the injection, will let you know how he fairs. Again, hopping for a long term fix. Best,
diane

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 8:21am

Has he considered the buster route?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

No more preventatives, no more abortives. I keep an O2 tank or two around, just for good measure.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 10:22am

Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2010 Jul 27.

Blocking the Greater Occipital Nerve: Utility in Headache Management.

Young WB.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center, Thomas Jefferson University,
111 South Eleventh Street, Gibbon Building, Suite #8130, Philadelphia, PA, 19107,
USA, William.B.Young@jefferson.edu.

Occipital nerve block has been part of headache medicine for more than HALF A
CENTURY, with injection techniques and solutions varying greatly. Most studies
have been case series and many show benefit for patients with migraine, cluster
headache, and postconcussive headache. A double-blind, controlled trial of
cluster headache has demonstrated that injectable steroids with local anesthetics
benefit cluster headache patients. A double-blind, controlled trial of nerve
blocks in occipital neuralgia, which may have actually been chronic migraine, was
positive.

PMID: 20661785 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

dsw
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Boston Area
Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 8:02pm

Brew: thanks for the suggestion, O2 is part of his therapy but doesn't work as well for him as it does for others. Have tried many homeopathic options and others on CB site.

Bob: I was asking about Trigeminal nerve block, not Occipital nerve block...different location, different nerve, different procedure.

Procedure is done so we're now more knowledgeable so will be able to answer someone elses questions regarding what to expect w/ this nerve block procedure.

Again, thx all. Hoping we're one step closer to a break in his cycle.
diane

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 7:43am

Well, another MA sufferer, I see. There are several of us around. I see Dr R at the Graham headache clinic and he is very informed. Also wasn't shocked when I asked about the clusterbuster route. Harvard has done some research in this area, and he teaches at the Medical School. I pray your husband's cycle is broken with this. And I don't mean to be at all condescending, since O2 doesn't work completely for everyone, but...you're sure you have a high enough flow rate and he is acheiving hyperoxia? I only bring it up because until Batch straightened me out I was pretty much using it ineffectively. Best of luck, and God bless! lance

IP Logged

dsw
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Boston Area
Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 9:33pm

Hey Lance, yes wife of MA sufferer, have chatted w/ a few of us around, Donna Mae is one town over from us. We too see Dr. R at Graham clinic (turned Donna Mae onto him) Found him March 09, saw him finally June 09 after persuing the appt. I cried when I heard him say it was atypical CH (atypical because Bob retches terribly w/ the pain, cried because the relief was palpable and knew I was right all along, long dealings w/ Neuro associated w/ BI). Dr. R is the one who prescribed the o2 and I believed that the regulator is the correct one and being used right.  Regulator is 15L/M max. Perhaps I should buy/order a new one. Would love to know more to make 100% sure or fix it so we can really know. Who is Batch? I'm also interested to hear Dr R open to discussing break thru w/ clusterbuster route. I so want Bob to get off the meds (abortives first). We didn't choose to get on this roller coaster ride (who of any of us sufferers or supporters do) and we wish we could get off. Nerve Block caused him 24 hours of distress major soreness in cheekbone, jaw couldn't open to eat and constant pain. However after that the next 24 hours were ok. He had a few twinges tonight and extremely irritable because he too like me was hoping for the silver bullet. I read him the newsweek article from a link from CB.com site. About Bob Wold and his discoveries. My Bob listens, and I believe heard a little more this time I discussed. Wish we could get him into a clinical study w/ the work their doing w/ this stuff. I am one that believes Mother Nature put all plants on this earth for a reason. And I believe in the power of positive thinking and never giving up the fight. So here I am reading and researching on the site after a crappy day at work. More info please on who to discuss air flow rate w/.
Thanks so much for your post. Opened two new doors for me! blessings to you too and hope to speak w/ you soon.
diane

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!