Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello from a chronic sufferer in the UK. (Read 1742 times)
topiramates
CH.com Newbie

Another day, another bruise!

England (south coast)
Hello from a chronic sufferer in the UK.
Nov 2nd, 2010 at 10:23pm

Hello,

My name is Guy. I live in the south of England, and I've been a chronic sufferer now for 5 years. I haven't had one 'day off' for all that time and it's now really testing me. I belong to OUCH.UK who are wonderful, and a couple of other smaller sites. I thought I'd give this site a go as it looks very well maintained and presented.
I have my attacks in the early hours, not long to go infact. I can never sleep before them, and have never been able to. I sit and things happen as they would if I was sound asleep. I've tried dozens of drugs over the years but nothing really seems to help. I've even been fortunate enough to have had the ONSI op, but even that hasn't made a huge difference. I was told however, that it can take time to function properly. But it's been just over 12 months since the op, how long do I have to wait. I really am at my wits end and I'm struggling to keep my head together. I've done so well over the years, always try and smile and get on with things, but now I'm finding it harder and harder to deal with. The pain just gets worse, I've constantly got a bruised forehead and would do anything just to sleep well for several hours at once.
I have had attacks during the day as well, but these are not always regular. I take my Imigran injections, all my meds, oxygen and of course use my remote for my internal system. You'd think with all that something would give just to make life a little easier.
I have no life at all, I can't work and don't socialize. Believe me, if I could I would. I don't receive any benefits because the system here is a joke. It's not recognized! As soon as you mention the word 'headache', people seem to think you get a little bit of pain like a hangover or something. I always use the medical terms (the long words) that seems to help.
I don't drink or smoke and eat healthly. There is nothing more I can do to try and slow things down or reduce the pain but nothing is working.
I think the main reason I've posted this on the forum is really to try one last attemp and see if anybody out there has any ideas as to what I can do, without doing the almost inevitable. I've lost three friends during my time as a sufferer who were also sufferers and I've seen first hand what it does to their families etc... but sometimes I also think just how lucky (you know what I mean) they are because they are not suffering every single day non stop, year after year.
I have some wonderful people helping me in terms of neurosurgeons etc.. but sometimes it's just not enough.
I'm coming up to my 6th year as a chronic sufferer, that's over 2,000 days. 2,000 days without a break. How am I meant to go on?
I'm sorry my first post here is so negative, but I just get see any relief ahead and I'm scared as to what I might do. I've never felt this depressed before, even after all these years, but now it's really getting to me.
If anybody here has any suggestions I'd be so grateful. And if anybody from the UK reads this, then perhaps we could meet up if you're near the south coast?
Thank you for letting me air my problems, and lets hope that one day we all get better.

Regards  Guy.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Re: Hello from a chronic sufferer in the UK.
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 11:47pm

Well we've seen several chronic sufferers really turn the corner, many of them becoming pain free for significant amounts of time, by taking the non toxic but potentially very effective clusterbusters.com approach.

We're talking people who had tried every drug and some surgeries to no avail, who like you were at their wits end.

Guy, PLEASE read this article (from Newsweek, a very mainstream US news magazine):
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

And watch this video talk by one of our (former) sufferers:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2010 at 11:48pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 11:53pm

Also, just to be sure, have you tried the power user approach to oxygen for aborting attacks, where you hyperventilate 100% O2 at a high flow rate, such as 25 LPM or above as outlined in the oxygen info link to the left?

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
IP Logged

mindset
CH.com Newbie

NE
Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 12:33am

Hi Guy!

Being Chronic sucks - I am too.  I was episodic for years but turned chronic 8 years ago. 
I started using 02 about 11 years ago.  Have you tried it?   
I've been getting slammed since 2 am in the morning. It's been one long hellish day!

"The world is not respectable; it is mortal, tormented, confused, deluded forever; but it is shot through with beauty, with love, with glints of courage and laughter; and in these, the spirit blooms."

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 6:42am

Hi Guy I'm sorry you have been having such a rough time, being chronic SUCKS I know.

Since CH is not recognized by the benefits health community there a more publicized approach may help if you are up to it.  Call or write to any local TV or Radio station that has a talk show, this would give you something to do and could possibly benefit yourself and others. Contact your local news/tv station and see if you can speak to a reporter about CH and what you go through and the fact that it is not covered under the benefits.  Offer (here's where the "If you are up to it" part comes in) to let them follow you around your day or week filled with CH Hell!  With enough publicity you may be able to make a change with the benefits for yourself and others who suffer.  Contact any Gov. officials you can, write them letters and explain what CH is really like and how debilitating it can be and has been for you.

I know not much of what I've said is helpful right now but if you use your PF time (what little of it there is) working towards making things better for yourself and others, it will give you something to keep going for aside from just looking forward to the next battle with the CH Beast.

Make sure you check out Clusterbusters as bejeeber said, there maybe something there that will help.
It really is a shame when you think about it that we CH sufferers have to go as far as these methods to get relief.  Hopefully one day soon this will all change for the better.

Sending PF Vibes your way!!

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 7:32am

Hi Guy,

I don't get the headaches. I take care of my son Michael, who does. I, of course, have no idea what the horror you're experiencing really feels like but I'm sure he does. He's 26 and started getting hit when he was 12. They tried all the drugs. Some (Imitrex injections) helped more than others but they all lost effectiveness over time. When he was 19, he got into an MVA that should have killed him. It didn't but afterwards he was chronic and his life stopped. No more girls, no more school, no more work, no more friends, no more sports, no more social life. Nothing but the pain and the trips to the ER. And the narcotics. Huge doses that barely touched it. The pain would build and build till he'd clench his jaw, look at me, point to it and black out. Over and Over. Sometimes several times an hour. One time he blacked out 8 times on the way to the ER. Another time in the ER, he was thrashing and screaming so violently that they drug-induced him into a coma, put him into restraints and left him like that for a week while they tried to figure out what to do. Eventually, they just let him wake up. I vividly remember him waking up, noticing that he was in restraints, looking at me and asking why I let them do that to him. I don't remember what I said but it still hurts.

And that's how it's been until about a year ago. Sometime early '09, Michael decided that if things didn't look like they were improving by early '10, he wasn't going to do it any more. I didn't tell him but I was planning to help him. Then I read an article in the journal Neurology which told of a group of clusterheads who had been very effectively using small, sub-hallucinogenic doses of psychedelic drugs and becoming completely pain-free, sometimes for months and even years at a time. I was a hippie during the '60s so I wasn't too concerned about any danger, particularly when compared to the possibility that they might help my son. The hunt was on. It took about 6 months but about a year ago we were given a single dose of LSD. Michael took half of it as soon as I got home. He noticed few if any effects from the drug and several hours later went to bed. About 6:00 in the morning he woke me running up the stairs and screaming "My headache's gone! My headache's gone!" It was gone, completely. And it stayed gone completely for 5 full days! And then it came back. He took the half that was left but it didn't work and our source had disappeared. Soon after that I found this website and began posting in the "Medications, Treatments, Therapies" board topic "Time for the 75-80% to stand up and be counted." I learned a lot. I've never met a more supportive, caring group of people in my life. Soon after this I found another website, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. Many of the people here are also members there. That website is devoted to the use of alternative and sometimes illegal medications (the psychedelics). A very good introduction is the video that bejeeber suggests to you at the bottom of his first post.

This horrible monster stole a big chunk of my son's life. But we're beating him now. Michael has a part-time job and is going back to school. There's a very good chance that you can find your way out too. Please stick around. There're a lot of very knowledgeable and supportive folks on both this site and the other. Give us a chance and see if we might be able to help. Good luck.

Ron

Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps.
  -Blake

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 8:07am

You've been given great advice, Guy. I notice you don't list the preventatives you've tried, or their doses. And you may not have had time yet to respond concernig the O2 link. I can only encourage you to make a list of everything we have tried here and share with others. Often we find those who have neuros not in the know concerning CHs that they are not taking high enough doses for relief. Or dread the verapamil/lithium combo that has worked so well for some. There is hope. We need a little more info though. If you care to share, that is. In the meantime, you are in my prayers as are all sufferers in this fellowship of pain. Pax and blessings! lance

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 9:46am

Welcome Guy.

Let us and our lovely sister site work as hard as we can for you- we are here to help. I know you're exhausted, and I also know that you have probably posted this information on multiple other sites, but can you give us a rundown of your doses and medications, past and present? Give us the ball and let us run with it- we WILL work to help you, that I promise.

I am a supporter, and the following quote (that I reference in my tagline) helped me in the desperate, tooth and nail fight to find my husband relief. It perfectly summed up how I felt during those desperate times:

"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."

Seems presumptious for a Yank to be quoted Churchill to you, not gonna lie, but it helped me so I thought I'd put it out there.

And help came. And relief came, both physical and mental. New research is going on all the time, here, on this site. There is a PH diet and formula that has helped the effectiveness of other medications. Specific techniques on oxygen usage, and our sister site's techniques. Kudzu, Melatonin, etc. There is so much out there left for you to try, and new things to try popping up every day, would be a shame to miss out on something that can help because you made a final decision.

I'm so very glad you reached out to us, hang on, and let us fight for you and with you.

Lauren

Bonkers, that might be one of the most powerful posts I've read. You are a good father, my friend.

Never, never, never give up.

IP Logged

Lee_Ann
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Texas
Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 10:24am

Hi Guy,

I am the wife of a 7 year Chronic Cluster Sufferer.  He has tried every drug available for CH.  He had the ONSi in April this year.  That was HIS last hope.  It didn't work.  I had been reading about Clusterbusters for years.  After the ONSi failed, he was ready to check out for good.  I persuaded him to try the Clusterbuster approach.  It is the only thing that has provided him with sustained relief and no side effects.  O2 is also a MUST try.

There are lots of other things to try too as mentioned.  Don't give up.  There is hope. Smiley 

Lee Ann

IP Logged

topiramates
CH.com Newbie

Another day, another bruise!

England (south coast)
Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 11:08am

I don't know what to say to you all. Thank you so much for the lovely welcome and caring thoughts. It does make such a difference knowing there are people out there who suffer the same as myself, it's a shame, but it's good to know.
I am on O2 and have been for a few years, using the maximum amount of 15.lpm. I have a couple of big cylinders at home and always carry a portable with me. I have also tried verap, lithium, melatonin, steroids, topiramate, amitriptyline, sodium valproate, and many many more, most of which I can't even remember. I know that I've been on 960mg of verap, but I'm afraid I would be making doses up if I tried to think back. I'm sure I could get that info from my neuro. I've also done the mixing of drugs. The verap and lithium did me no favours at all and apparently I was like a zombie possessed.
I know that you are all trying to help and I really appreciate it very much. It just seems that I'm being so negative all the time, but how can't I be?
I am a very strong person mentally and have always had the fight in me to try and beat this thing, but it's only lately that things are just becoming too much.
Only when I read your posts does it hit home how we all suffer from this. Some of you are carers, parents with suffering children, and people like myself. I think that we are all so strong to deal with this demon and should all get a pat on the back for dealing with such an illness the way we do.
With regards to the benefits etc, I have been in local press and I've even been to the House Of Commons. I've nagged my MP for the last couple of years (and still do to this day) but even doing all that, and more, nothing.
Maybe one day.
Bejeeber, mindset, Ginger S, Bonkers, Wimsey 1, Lauren 17 and Lee Ann, thank you. And if anybody else should be kind enough to reply, thank you as well.
I'll take everything you've said on board, and will no doubt be in touch again.

Guy.

IP Logged

mindset
CH.com Newbie

NE
Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 11:17am

Just thinking about you and hoping things are better for you today.  I hope you received my PM from earlier. 

You're desperation is hauntingly familiar.  You are so  right, this isn't just about the physical pain, its also about the depression, the anxiety, and the frustration.  I was also completely hopeless - multiple meds I've tried throughout the years would sometimes taper the pain, but CH's always came back with a vengeance.  It seemed like I never slept.  I was getting 12+ CH's daily from Kip 8-10.  The time I had in between hits were plagued by chronic migraines and tension headaches.  I felt like I was going crazy. I couldn't think, I couldn't even function.  I lost my employment.  I have such guilt over the time and events I've missed out on throughout my children's life.  There was a time period last year when I literally didn't leave my house for 3 weeks.  Thoughts of a permenant end became more and more frequent.
But, fortunately, someone reached out to me with information from clusterbusters.  Initially, it was a scary road, but I'm now using alternative treatments and having marked successes.  I have hope now.  Yesterday happened to be a bad day for me, but sometimes I now have 2 -3 PF days a week.  Unbelievable!  My migraines have dramatically lessened, too. 
I'm in a much, much better spot mentally.  If you decide alternative treatment is something you need to try, you will find much support and inspiration from others who have walked in our same desperate path. 

Take care.

"The world is not respectable; it is mortal, tormented, confused, deluded forever; but it is shot through with beauty, with love, with glints of courage and laughter; and in these, the spirit blooms."

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 11:26am

Have you tried Melatonin? It made a world of difference for my husband. (Time to get down to specifics, my friend!)

Let's go through these options one by one! As to the regulator- can you get a welding regulator? Flow rates are higher with those- that is what my husband uses, 15 is considered a minimum, more success has been had with higher. Also, are you using a non rebreathing mask?

And taurine- have you tried taking an energy drink with taurine (Red Bull, Rock Star, 5 hour Energy, etc) at the FIRST twinge of a headache? Some even combine this with the start of oxygen theraphy with good results (huff huff, sip sip, huff huff kind of thing...)

Don't worry about your first post being negative- all of our first posts were, I dare say! We came in pain, fear, and desperation and stay to learn and help.

Never, never, never give up.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 12:20pm

Hi Guy, if you find that the 15 LPM isn't always working for you, well many, many of us find that 15 LPM just isn't enough. It certainly isn't for me - at my last peak cycle I was hyperventilating at 45 LPM (!) with a non rebreather mask with large reservoir bag (and that worked). There are hi flow regulators available for purchase online, and that's how I got mine.

A demand valve system could simplify the whole thing and could be worth looking into. There's an O2 guru (and chronic CH'er) here by the name of Batch who, (last time I checked) with the help of PH optimization and hyperventilation, is known to knock down all of his hits in minutes this way, and appears to have a life that is minimally impacted by CH. I imagine that at 15 LPM he would be royally screwed.

If the hi flow 100% O2 used as an abortive would be more effective for you and could allow you to detox off some or all of the meds, that could in turn help optimize the effectiveness of clusterbusting as a preventative. I'm sure we'd all love to see you join the ranks of the former chronics who can now go a pain free week or even much longer without having to touch a medicine, herb, or even O2.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!