Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Info - Pieter (Read 1155 times)
Pieter
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

My Info - Pieter
Oct 31st, 2010 at 6:01am

Hi  I am 59 year old male - had triple bypass in 2006
accountant in private practice - live in Boksburg South Africa
My lifestyle is hectic - smoke cigars and drink beer
Stop the beer during a cycle
Started my CH about 1986 and have had them every 4/6 years for about 3 months - today 2 months down the line
yesterday 4 am to noon -4 monsters 7-10
on Cafergot 3 pd/ Tripiline 25mg 1 pd with Imigran Injection
Started yesterday with 12 Panafcourt 2 pd and Arthrexin 3pd and have not had an attack since - I know it is early days but a day without is worth gold
In 2004 in my second month of hell - having had all the drugs - used oxygen to abort but no relief otherwise - decided out of desperation to have an opertation offered by the Headache Clinic in Johannesburg , they warned me that it may not work - had relief for about 3 days after the op
and then it carried on to complete the cycle of about 3 months
I have found temp relief not sure if it is only in my mind
If I wake up at 1am with my 1st one I have A headache
powder called "Grandpa" with a teaspoon of ground ginger
disolved in hot water within 1st 2 minutes and then proceed to the kitchen and eat ice cold watermelon in big chunks and possibly end up with an ice-cream headache but at that stage I do not care and start my pacing and grunting - have been lucky in some cases to abort or reduce the pain withih 15mins - not always though.I then get my 2nd 2-3 hours later and then have the injection - then I am at the mercy for the next one - not able to do much about it - lasts about 1-2 hours
I would like to hear from other CH slaves

Regards

Pieter
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2010 at 6:44am by Pieter »  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: My Info - Pieter
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 9:17am

Welcome to the board Pieter! I don't recognize some of the medications listed, are any of them used as a prevent to reduce the number and/or intensity of your headaches? Verapamil, Lithium and Topomax are 3 popular prevents. I use 1200 mg a day of Lithium when I am on cycle, reduces about 60-70% of my hits.

Oxygen has been showing a lot more success of late, as we've been tweaking with HOW people use it. Please take a second and read the oxygen info tab on the left. I can abort an attack in 6-8 minutes using oxygen, it has all but eliminated my use of the imitrex injections.

A few other people have posted that Ginger helps them as an abortive, glad it's giving you some relief.

Glad you found us, hope we can give you some info to take back to your doc, give you a little pain free time!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 10:54am

Panafcourt has prednisone in it.  Arthrexin has the active ingredient indomethacin.   Tripiline is a member of the amitriptyline family.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 12:45pm

Pieter wrote on Oct 31st, 2010 at 6:01am:
I then get my 2nd 2-3 hours later and then have the injection - then I am at the mercy for the next one - not able to do much about it - lasts about 1-2 hours

HATE it when that happens!  Angry

BUT the imitrex tip has been a lifesaver for me and others, as following it allows a CH'er to get abort 2 or 3 hits with just one injection's worth of imitrex. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Since cold can help you to abort an attack sometimes, it might be worth trying the old "put your nose up to the blasting car air conditioner vent and breathe the freezng air deeply" trick, maybe even with some ice cubes in your mouth. Works for some of us some of the time.

And what Joe said about the newer method of O2 use - it's a big improvement over the old way that the medical profession still ignorantly adheres to.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 2:52pm

Also try drinking a red bull or similar energy drink which contains caffeine and taurine at the start of a CH. Many people, myself included, have found that it helps to reduce the intensity and duration of a CH.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 2:55pm

bejeeber wrote on Oct 31st, 2010 at 12:45pm:
Pieter wrote on Oct 31st, 2010 at 6:01am:
I then get my 2nd 2-3 hours later and then have the injection - then I am at the mercy for the next one - not able to do much about it - lasts about 1-2 hours

HATE it when that happens!  Angry

BUT the imitrex tip has been a lifesaver for me and others, as following it allows a CH'er to get abort 2 or 3 hits with just one injection's worth of imitrex. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Since cold can help you to abort an attack sometimes, it might be worth trying the old "put your nose up to the blasting car air conditioner vent and breathe the freezng air deeply" trick, maybe even with some ice cubes in your mouth. Works for some of us some of the time.

And what Joe said about the newer method of O2 use - it's a big improvement over the old way that the medical profession still ignorantly adheres to.

What he said.

Potter

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 11:57pm

Modern O2 use rocks. First you need a mask (that includes a mouthpiece) that is made just for CH. One of the best available is here on the CH.com store for around $28 US. I have 3 of them.

The next thing is higher flow regulators. Many of us need at least 25LPM and higher. Believe it or not, it IS one of the best abortives for CH.
Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Pieter
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 7:39pm

Hi Guys  thanks for the response
I am currenty now  2 days free - went to work today not sure if it the Cafergot/panafcort is working or if the cycle is on its way out

About energy drinks like red bull , I have been warned not to drink it after I had the bypass in 2006 - not sure
Thanks again

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 9:12pm

...then high-flow O2 would be right up your alley.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!