Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rx expiration (Read 927 times)
Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Rx expiration
Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:13pm

I picked up on this in one of the other threads and want to warn everyone to be a little careful about it:

"Keep trying your old Imitrex. Unless it has been storted in bad conditions , the expiration dates on meds are not of any merit."

In fact, drug expiration is a key element in its efficacy and safety profile. I've worked in pharma for years and have dealt with the destruction of product that is nearing expiration. In fact, the general rule is not to ship product that doesn't have a remaining shelf life well beyond the market demand.

In most cases, expiration is based on reduced efficacy, but in other cases, tablet coatings break down or the effective ingredient becomes unstable. If you've ever had a pill that disintegrates in your mouth but is not supposed to, watch out. That means either the compression or the coating has failed. That pill is compressed and coated for a reason - your mouth, esophagus and stomach can't handle the primary ingredient. Additionally, the route of administration may be changed from that which was evaluated for safety. If the drug company could just give you a powder, believe me, they would. It would be a lot cheaper.

As far as injectables go, you can assume that the expiration is meaningful. It''s not cheap for a pharma to have to return and destroy product that's made its way from manufacture to distribution to pharmacy. There's a lot of pharmacies out there.

I'd walk cautiously with expired prescription meds.

-Chris

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Rx expiration
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 8:42am

The quote sounds like something I would have typed--but I agree with, in any case.

I'm not in a position to get into the science of the question but I've had two wheels in the industry tell me that the expiration date is required by the Feds but that the mfg. are ambivalent about the validity of the requirement.

I just searched PubMed on the issue and was struck by two issues: A. how very few abstracts popped up, B. how dated most were, C. how many hits give a citation but didn't allow one to get an abstract. (I try to avoid conspiratorial thinking but this is curious!)

But this is the only hit which is broadly useful, in my judgment:

J Pharm Sci. 2006 Jul;95(7):1549-60.

Stability profiles of drug products extended beyond labeled expiration dates.
Lyon RC, Taylor JS, Porter DA, Prasanna HR, Hussain AS.

Division of Product Quality Research, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, HFD-941, White Oak, Life Sciences Building 64, 10903 New Hampshire Avenue, Silver Spring, Maryland 20993-0002, USA. robbe.lyon@fda.hhs.gov

Abstract
The American Medical Association has questioned whether expiration dating markedly underestimates the actual shelf life of drug products. Results from the shelf life extension program (SLEP) have been evaluated to provide extensive data to address this issue. The SLEP has been administered by the Food and Drug Administration for the United States Department of Defense (DOD) for 20 years. This program probably contains the most extensive source of pharmaceutical stability data extant. This report summarizes extended stability profiles for 122 different drug products (3,005 different lots). The drug products were categorized into five groups based on incidence of initial extension failures and termination failures (extended lot eventually failed upon re-testing). Based on testing and stability assessment, 88% of the lots were extended at least 1 year beyond their original expiration date for an average extension of 66 months, but the additional stability period was highly variable. The SLEP data supports the assertion that many drug products, if properly stored, can be extended past the expiration date. Due to the lot-to-lot variability, the stability and quality of extended drug products can only be assured by periodic testing and systematic evaluation of each lot.

PMID: 16721796 [PubMed
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2010 at 8:45am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 8:54am

The expiration dates are set by the manufacturer, not by the FDA. The last thing a drug maker wants is for a bunch of adverse event reports to start rolling into the FDA on a drug they've spent millions to get to market. That, plus they really do care about patient safety.

One more thing... temperature and humidity ARE a major factor in how drugs are stored. I recall one case where the shipper left a few pallets of drug on the tarmac at the airport for a few hours and the entire shipment had to be destroyed because it failed QC sampling on the other end. Sitting in the sun destroyed it.

-Chris

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 10:24pm

"Keep trying your old Imitrex. Unless it has been storted in bad conditions , the expiration dates on meds are not of any merit."

Many many of us - from personal experience - have actually found the above quote to be very true regarding imitrex injectible.

Chris H wrote on Oct 30th, 2010 at 8:54am:
The expiration dates are set by the manufacturer...

Yes, the manufacturer....who profits from people throwing away their exhorbitantly priced, still effective meds and shelling out yet more huge bucks to replace them.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2010 at 1:25am by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 11:20am

Actually the last thing the manufacturers want is to have to pull drug off the shelves due to expiration. They'd rather have the longest expiration date possible. They're not worried about you throwing it away so you can buy more. Your prescription determines that. They ARE worried about adverse events occurring.

Think of the business end of this. The individual patient throwing out drug at expiration has very little impact on their bottom line. The patient will receive as much drug as their prescription allows and that their insurance will pay for (generally). So, the longer the expiration period, the longer the manufacturer has to sell the drug... and they sell only to distributors who then sell to pharmacies. Some of the larger chain pharmacies deal direct in large bulk. If drug is nearing expiration, they have to destroy it, by law. That's a huge business loss.

Think of it this way too. If expiration was not a factor, they could run straight manufacturing of very high quantities, which is much lower cost than running a couple of batches at a time. Everytime they run the production line, they have startup and shutdown costs, ingredient loss, etc. This is true of any manufacturing operation. Same is true for food...expirations drive smaller quantity production.

The reason for the expiration date is based on extensive stability studies conducted on the drug. As the drug begins to destabilize, its safety and efficacy are no longer guaranteed. Every single batch of drug is stability tested. Manufacters who seek to extend their expiration dates must do so with hard facts... stability testing data.

My guess is that Imitrex, because it's a solution, simply loses potency, but I don't really know.

-Chris
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2010 at 11:22am by Chris H »  

IP Logged

bradish
CH.com Junior

Florida
Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:17pm

My Imitrex injectiables are expired.  I am only allowed a cetain amount each month so I stock up when I am not in a cluster.  I don't over due it, I just get what I think I need for next cluster.  I asked my pharmacist if I can use these after the expiration date.  He said they are good 3-6 months after the expiration date.  Anyone else ask their pharmacist what they think?

~Becky

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:47pm

Pharmacists are in the business of selling prescription drugs. What do you think they'll say?

Many here use imitrex that is several years beyond its expiration with no unusual side effects other than that it may have lost a little bit of its effectiveness.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 11:09pm

Brew, Do you really think the pharmacist is answering important questions like this based on the business he or she works for selling more drugs? They're likely to give you an answer that's on the safe side to protect themselves, granted, but in general, I think the pharmacist is answering based on what they know to be safe. These are individuals, just like you and me and not part of some big conspiracy to get rich from the needy. -Chris

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 11:13pm

It's a CYA world, Chris. In this case, CYA moves more product. I guess it depends on your perspective.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 11:34pm

I definitely agree with you there about it being a CYA world. Anyone in the drug business is going to give you the "safe" answer, at least anyone who can be sued if they're wrong. There are enough lawsuits out there where people did have adverse events even when they used drug off label or after expiration. Generally the label and expiration protect them in court, not the patient.

About 10 years ago I worked in the regulatory area at Merck that was responsible for adverse event reporting to the FDA. You wouldn't believe some of the problems that are reported. The FDA is fairly quick to attach a causal relationship when someone dies or is seriously injured. They have nothing to gain from that other than patient safety, and not being embarrassed with another Phen-Phen.

Holding onto drugs for years after expiration, in my humble opinion, having been in the industry for over 20 years, is taking a lot of unnecessary risk. If you're using the SLEP study that was conducted by the military as a guideline, don't. Those were highly stable drugs in a highly controlled environment. They are not representative of the lion's share of drug on the market or any that is kept in your bathroom.

-Chris

IP Logged

bradish
CH.com Junior

Florida
Reply #10 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 7:21am

Brew wrote on Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:47pm:
Pharmacists are in the business of selling prescription drugs. What do you think they'll say?

Many here use imitrex that is several years beyond its expiration with no unusual side effects other than that it may have lost a little bit of its effectiveness.

Good point!  The pharmacist is my neighbor and my son's best friend so I don't think he is out to make money on us.  He knows our situation and my son is type 1.  The meds he needs to survive on a daily basis is crazy!  We figured it out and it costs about $950.00 a month for him to have them meds and supplies he needs to survive.  So I think he is being honest... Smiley

~Becky

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 9:44am

There are certain meds - and I'm sure Chris could expound on this - that are FAR more sensitive to environmental upheaval. Insulin is one of them. I inject myself once a week with a biologic called Enbrel, and that stuff will "go bad" in a matter of hours if it's not kept refrigerated.

Imitrex doesn't fall into that category - many here have used it literally YEARS beyond it's expiration, with a few reporting no change in effectiveness and a few reporting that it didn't work quite as well.

IP Logged

Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Reply #12 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 10:47am

That doesn't really surprise me, Brew. Some drugs just lose their strength over time. Do me a favor though and at least shake the hell out of any older dose. -Chris

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!