Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cheeeeeeese! (Read 4665 times)
jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Re: Cheeeeeeese!
Reply #25 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 8:46pm

primetime wrote on Nov 2nd, 2010 at 11:53am:
My local grocery store carries uncured versions of both hot dogs and bacon (MMMMM, bacon). Allegedly it's the nitrates/nitrites used in the curing process that could be triggers, so look for the uncured ones at your local grocer.

This hurts to say...I have been involved in the food processing industry for 33 years...but it pisses me off when WE are involved in a fraud.....

"Uncured" means no "artificial" added nitrites/nitrates....the celery juice you see listed are "natural" additives...which "happen" to contain nitrates...which serve the same purpose. If you are sensitive to same...beware....green leafy vegetables are loaded with it.

Reminds me of the products containing "lemon juice" which "happen" to contain sulfites..and NOT required to declare same....

I am not sensitive to either...so don't tend to worry about...but if you are, again, beware....

Not enough energy to post the links...just google...it's all there....sigh....

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #26 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 10:55pm

Now I've got that stupid Lion King song in my head.....   

♪♫♪ Hakuna Matata ♪♫  ...What a wonderful phrase...♪♫ ♫

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #27 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 8:10am

jon019 wrote on Nov 2nd, 2010 at 8:46pm:
My local grocery store carries uncured versions of both hot dogs and bacon (MMMMM, bacon). Allegedly it's the nitrates/nitrites used in the curing process that could be triggers, so look for the uncured ones at your local grocer.

This hurts to say...I have been involved in the food processing industry for 33 years...but it pisses me off when WE are involved in a fraud.....

"Uncured" means no "artificial" added nitrites/nitrates....the celery juice you see listed are "natural" additives...which "happen" to contain nitrates...which serve the same purpose. If you are sensitive to same...beware....green leafy vegetables are loaded with it.

Reminds me of the products containing "lemon juice" which "happen" to contain sulfites..and NOT required to declare same....

I am not sensitive to either...so don't tend to worry about...but if you are, again, beware....

Not enough energy to post the links...just google...it's all there....sigh....Best, Jon

Thanks for the info, Jon, it's good to know. My wife is intolerant of both nitrates and sulfites. I'll let her know. lance

IP Logged

primetime
CH.com Junior

Still standing....barely

Baltimore, MD
Reply #28 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 10:52am

jon019 wrote on Nov 2nd, 2010 at 8:46pm:

Not enough energy to post the links...just google...it's all there....sigh....

Best,

Jon

Good info....I noticed on the package of new Oscar Meyer all beef franks that the curing process is done with celery juice.

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

Kim D
CH.com Junior

Nashville, TN
Reply #29 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 1:13pm

I watched a show on the discovery channel about the actual hot dog-making-process. That's why I don't eat them. Smiley

Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1.
kdyer89  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!