Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cheeeeeeese! (Read 4641 times)
Kim D
CH.com Junior

Nashville, TN
Cheeeeeeese!
Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:04am

I've been searching around for quite awhile now ... and I'm really interested in what triggers headaches, why they come so randomly but oddly around the same times daily, etc.

I'm wondering if specific foods, i.e. chocolate, cheese, milk, etc. are really triggers. I suppose from all the reports alochol is definitely a trigger... but cheese and ice cream? I love cheese... Sad And what about smells, like perfumes and smoke? Stress? Excitement?

Anyways, what have you found from your own personal experience? What do you avoid when in/out of cycle?

Kim

Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1.
kdyer89  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: Cheeeeeeese!
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:15am

Kim D wrote on Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:04am:
I've been searching around for quite awhile now ... and I'm really interested in what triggers headaches, why they come so randomly but oddly around the same times daily, etc.

I'm wondering if specific foods, i.e. chocolate, cheese, milk, etc. are really triggers. I suppose from all the reports alochol is definitely a trigger... but cheese and ice cream? I love cheese... Sad And what about smells, like perfumes and smoke? Stress? Excitement?

Anyways, what have you found from your own personal experience? What do you avoid when in/out of cycle?

Kim

If all you got is a headache I would suggest avoiding all of the above.

Potter

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:18am

Hi Kim,

From what I've seen here, as a general rule, food triggers for migraine are rather common.  For CH, not so much...although nothing is universal.

I've never been able to isolate any food or odor triggers.  In my personal experience, stress has never had any effect on my attacks, good or bad.  I will say that reacting to an individual attack with fear and panic can make an attack seem much worse. 

When in cycle, alcohol is an inevitable trigger for me.  All it takes is a swallow.  I won't touch it. 

Hope this helps.  You're liable to get responses that are all over the board, I'm afraid.  Lots of individual differences here.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:32am

For my husband alcohol (especially red wine) and stress are triggers. Even my aunt's spaghetti sauce with red wine in it was a trigger, so maybe's it's the tannins from that since the alcohol should have cooked out by that point. Or maybe just bad cooking as a trigger explains it...

Never, never, never give up.

IP Logged

mikstudie
CH.com Old Timer

Beastmaster

Westland Mi.
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:51am

I have found for myself no foods that trigger CH. The (in my case beer) just one will trigger a CH ,some times worse than others. But I have found if I mix the beer with a bottled water the headache is very light. Example: One beer,one water,one beer,one water,ect... OH AND PEE A LOT. Amazing what we will do to have a couple beers and play cards with the boys on a Sat. night.

DAMM BEAST!!!!!!!!!

IT'S JUST A HEADACHE,TAKE TWO ASPRIN AND GO TO BED!!!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 3:33pm

It's another good reason to start a headache diary and try to chart your triggers. The only triggers I have been able to pin down are alcohol, sleep cycle disruptions, getting really, really hungry and sustained stress.

Others have posted that petroleum odors, strong perfumes, and certain "migrain list" foods were triggers for them. It's a trial and error kinda thing! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 4:35pm

Hi Kim!

I go back and forth with this whole food trigger thing.  During a really active cycle I tend to think everything is a trigger! LOL!  For me, I will get hit whether I eat particular things or not.  Things like alcohol or MSG during a cycle pretty much ensure a hit and will make it worse.   Stress is also a trigger for me but not like you'd think.  It's when I relax after being stressed or when I stop exercising that I get hit.  Oh and sleep triggers it too! 

George is right.... It's a bit different for all of us.

PF wishes,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:32pm

Kim,

As was suggested, keep a diary.  Note the times you get hit, and the circumstances surrounding it.  One or two times can be coincidental, but if you get hit every time you eat a certain food stay away from  it "just in case".  It may or may not be a trigger, but why temp it?

For me any cured meats, which I love, and too much of hot dogs or cold cuts will get me.  Bacon or ham and I will get hit 20 mins. later. Cry  For a while I tried eating them under the idea that chronics can often drink without getting hit and thought I was getting by with it until about the third big helping of bacon.  I'm back on the bacon wagon.

Perfumes or fragrances are instant triggers for me.  I was driving a bus load of guys from our school soccer team last Fri following the State tourney (third place) and one of the guys in the back of the bus sprayed on some Axe.  I slammed the window open, turned the fan on my face, and slammed a 5hr energy, but it was still touch and go if I would be able to continue driving.  I hadn't any more than smelled it and my right eye closed and it hit.

We all vary on what triggers us.  I think oxygen mixed with other molecules gets me. Cheesy  Just life is all the trigger I need.  Stress keeps them away, but when I relax later. . .

Keep a diary.  Learn what is your weakness, and avoid it as much as is possible.  Finally, NEVER leave home without an abortive and if possible a secondary with you.  THAT is the biggest trigger out there.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:18am

Finally, NEVER leave home without an abortive and if possible a secondary with you.  THAT is the biggest trigger out there.

Jerry

Isn't that the gospel truth???? Grin

Joe

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:44am

Triggers aren't food related for me-unless one considers beer and essential food group, and maybe it is-but things like chewing...anything...can kick one off. So can playing with my beard or moustache. You goota have one to know what I'm talking about. Even brushing my teeth on the effected side or lying down with pressure on that side. That kind of silly crap. I hate the beast. Not a nice guy at all doncha know? lance

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:31am

I stay away from hot dogs and cured meats.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Kim D
CH.com Junior

Nashville, TN
Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 11:09am

Callico wrote on Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:32pm:
Kim,

As was suggested, keep a diary.  

Finally, NEVER leave home without an abortive and if possible a secondary with you.  THAT is the biggest trigger out there.

Jerry

Dear Diary... today I ate ...  Tongue
But seirously, that is a good idea. Thanks!

And you're exactly right... it knows when you don't have an abortive!

Thanks for all the great advice. You guys are aahhmazing!

P.S. hotdogs are gross and pretty bad for you. Perhaps CH does have perks? Smiley

Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1.
kdyer89  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 12:44pm

Quote:
P.S. hotdogs are gross and pretty bad for you.

Which is why they're so freakin' delicious, esp. with mustard and sauerkraut.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 12:47pm

Brew wrote on Oct 29th, 2010 at 12:44pm:
Quote:
P.S. hotdogs are gross and pretty bad for you.

Which is why they're so freakin' delicious, esp. with mustard and sauerkraut.

You forgot the onions, brother!  Yes they are good, especially if they are from a local butcher shop or sausage maker!
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010 at 12:48pm by Agostino Leyre »  

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 3:28pm

My faves are from Usinger's, but I don't even mind going kosher:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #15 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 4:08am

Brew, why is that? It's not just hot dogs. It's everything that we really like to eat. Sweet grease and salty grease. Fat, sugar and salt. Regardless of how much we may know, or think we know, about nutrition, what we truly crave are the things that are the worst for us. Is it a matter of our not having psycho/physically evolved in time with our ability to satisfy our energy needs or is it something else? Ron

Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps.
  -Blake

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #16 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 8:31am

Who says those things are "bad" for us? Our bodies need protein, salt, sugar (or things that will break down into sugars), etc. Mankind has figured out ways to alter the basic food requirements so that they taste good, but even if we were cavemen, our bodies would still crave those things because we need them to live.

Hot dogs have additives that we don't need, and more salt than we require, but we still need protein and salt.

I try not to get too hung up about what I eat. As long as it's delicious and I don't overdo it (something which I'm prone to), I'm almost always good.

In my experience, it's obsessing with ANYTHING that will do the human body and psyche harm. In other words, it's not the object being obsessed over, it's the obsession itself that proves harmful. Health nuts, exercise nuts, food nuts, it all leads to the same place: OCD disorders. Not good.

In other words, don't worry - be happy. Hakuna matata.

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #17 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 8:59am

Quote:
Hakuna matata.

I didn't know you were from Hawaii. Wink

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 9:18am

Jimi wrote on Oct 31st, 2010 at 8:59am:
Quote:
Hakuna matata.

I didn't know you were from Hawaii. Wink

It's Africa silly! Wink

Joe

IP Logged

his wife
CH.com Old Timer

The sweetest sound is
my children's laughter

Reply #19 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 2:25pm

Hakuna matata...there are no worries...I knew watching the Lion King with my kids a hundred times would come in handy someday...ok everybody sing...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Also, very appropriate that's it's sung by the "lion faced"
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2010 at 2:51pm by his wife »  

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #20 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 2:36pm

"In all things moderation."  I would attribute the quote if I could remember who it was that said it. 

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #21 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 3:43pm

Callico wrote on Oct 31st, 2010 at 2:36pm:
"In all things moderation."  I would attribute the quote if I could remember who it was that said it. 

Jerry

INCLUDING moderation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin

Joe

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #22 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 7:27pm

Callico wrote on Oct 31st, 2010 at 2:36pm:

Jerry

I've seen it attributed to Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates, but I could've sworn that they told us in school it was Epicurus.

Here's one for Joe:
"Be moderate in everything, including moderation."
Horace Porter

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #23 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 10:22pm

Thanks Jim.  It's been a long time since I was in school, but now that you mention it, I do think it was Epicurus that told us that. Cheesy

Jerry

Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

primetime
CH.com Junior

Still standing....barely

Baltimore, MD
Reply #24 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 11:53am

My local grocery store carries uncured versions of both hot dogs and bacon (MMMMM, bacon). Allegedly it's the nitrates/nitrites used in the curing process that could be triggers, so look for the uncured ones at your local grocer.

The alcohol I have the biggest issue with is wine, particularly white wine. If a sip of white wine crosses my lips, game over.

My currecnt cycle (started in early August) I can trace back to a Yankee candle, Sun and Sand scent. I had been PF since April and then wham.

The crappy part of it is I'm an eposidic with Spring an Fall cycles, right at the vernal and autumnal equinox, but the freakin candle cycle bled right into my fall cycle.  Angry

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!