Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Horseradish! (Read 5078 times)
dan1974
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Horseradish!
Oct 28th, 2010 at 1:02am

I havent been on in about 2 years, but have been suffering from cluster headaches for about 7 years. Had to reregister with a new account cause I forgot my password, but felt it was worth it and was important to rely my results to anyone who suffers and doesnt have the proper means to deal with them ( like me).I'm been getting my headaches  again for about a month, and get even worse when I drink alcohol (of course). I watched something on the history channel about spices and horseradish came up and how it effects the sinuses and the brain so I figured I would try and see if it would help my headache and purposely drank. As soon as I felt one coming, I took a spoonful of hot horseradish (not a creamy type, but plain) and it stopped the one side of my head from getting stuffed up like usual and gettin a headache. All in all, I ended up takin about 5 spoonfuls of it while I felt one coming and occassionally inhaling the aroma. After about a half an hour, the sense of a headache coming went away and DID NOT HAVE ANY PAIN!!! Not a very pleasent taste or aroma, but so much better than pacing the house for an hour. Might be worth a try as a safe, natural remedy.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2010 at 3:40pm by dan1974 »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Horseraish!
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 7:52am

I had a horseraish once. A good topical corticosteroid cleared it right up.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 8:26am

Brew wrote on Oct 28th, 2010 at 7:52am:

Grin  Nice. And as you once told me, TMI dude. Seriously, there might be something to this. Dan, if you keep trying this and it continues to work, let us know. There's been some correlation between sinus clearing and pain relief, but whether or not it's a good abortive? I guess time will tell. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Lieutenant2
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 8:51am

I'd snort wasabi if I thought it would stop an attack. Just sayin'.

Before I knew what these things were, and when my doc thought I just had a sinus infection, I tried a capsicum-based nasal spray (Sinusol, or something?) Similar idea, I guess. The pain from shooting hot pepper juice up my nose probably made me forget about the CH for a while, but no substantial relief. I also tried eating insanely hot food, hoping the endorphins would help. Moderate relief there.

Good luck with the horseradish experiment! Keep eating it, don't snort it.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:18am

Brew wrote on Oct 28th, 2010 at 7:52am:

Not me.   With this damn CH I've never been able to drink one purty. 

Potter

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:52pm

Dan,

I can see the possibility of some relief from horseradish, but there are other remedies out there that I think are more viable. 

One time does not make a trend.  Keep a journal of your attacks and the effectiveness of the horseradish over a whole episode and you will get a lot better response to your idea.  I will be interested in your results.  I love horseradish, but not quite in those dosages.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 7:21am

This treatment will require me to have fresh, rare roast beef on hand at all times.

What a shame. Wink

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:48am

Brew wrote on Oct 29th, 2010 at 7:21am:
This treatment will require me to have fresh, rare roast beef on hand at all times. What a shame. Wink

Brew, you are in a rare good mood! Funny, and thanks for the laugh! And I was thinking the exact same thing. I could go for a big rb sandwich right now; or maybe some extra hot cocktail sauce and shrimp.

I love hr too, but don't want to snort it. Still....to each his own. Blessings! lance

IP Logged

Jangly Mark
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2010 at 10:08pm

I've not tried this, but, on a similar topic, I do find that a hot curry (a Jalfrezi [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jalfrezi] or a Naga) gives moderate relief for a while (as long as it's not too severe to prevent me from actually aeating), particularly when I'm eating it, although, a couple of hours later any relief is gone...

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 4:20pm

Brew wrote on Oct 29th, 2010 at 7:21am:
This treatment will require me to have fresh, rare roast beef on hand at all times.

What a shame. Wink

Man after my own heart!!!!
Grin

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Re: Horseradish!
Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 11:39am

Horseradish, hot pepper, ginger ... these all interact with the Substance P receptors and TRPV receptors. These receptors play a part in the transmission of pain, the release of CGRP, and the flow of blood ... all of which might affect cluster activity. There was some research a while back that involved applying capsaicin or similar compounds inside the nose, and it resulted in partial relief for some people.

I have given up on the hot stuff for clusterheadaches, although I think some people might benefit more from it than I do.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 12:05pm

But you have to agree that there's a certain allure to a treatment that might be BOTH effective AND delicious! LOL

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #12 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 12:18pm

Brew wrote on Nov 8th, 2010 at 12:05pm:
But you have to agree that there's a certain allure to a treatment that might be BOTH effective AND delicious! LOL

That's why I'm experimenting with chocolate, sea food and single malts.  Wink

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 12:19am

I had a financial consultant take me to lunch the other day.  (Did he ever pick the wrong prospect! Cheesy)  He recommended the Prime Rib French Dip sandwich.  It was wonderful!  They served it with fresh ground horseradish (ground fresh for each order).  I used a large quantity of it on the sandwich.  It tasted so good I don't remember if I got hit or not! Grin

Seriously, I'm not mocking the concept.  I'm only having fun with it.  It may have some benefits to it with CH, but I doubt seriously that we can eat enough to make much of a difference.  I'm not against trying to though.  I love good horseradish.  Maybe those of you who like to drink might try the Russian method of a spoonful of horseradish on a bite of black bread washed down with a jigger of Vodka.  Not for the faint of heart, but maybe the horseradish would counteract the alcohol and prevent the hit. Cheesy

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Horseradish! Hey Dan...
Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 7:52am

So has it continued to work for you?

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #15 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 10:06am

Brew wrote on Nov 8th, 2010 at 12:05pm:

Sure. This week I am testing the hypothesis that mangoes are good for episodics who are not in cycle!

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #16 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 10:25am

And my latest experiment involves pork ribs and sauerkraut with spaetzle. My hypothesis includes, but is not limited to, feeding the soul through the stomach.

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #17 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 11:27am

Well, I feel I must join the experiment. I will let you know if my eating raw oysters with copious amounts of horseradish and lemon prevent my husband from having any out of cycle hits. This will take thorough and intensive study, but I am committed to finding the answer!

All kidding aside, horseradish is awesome stuff with many benefits. It has been shown that the oil released from it has antibacterial properties, so has been shown to be up there with cranberries in preventing UTIs and other bacterial infections. I would suggest AGAINST slapping it directly on a cut though, that just sounds like a bad plan to me...

Never, never, never give up.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #18 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 7:45am

Our old friend Paco used to put Tobasco under his tongue when he felt an attack starting.  He even handed out small, single shot, bottles of Tobasco at the Atlanta OUCH convention.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #19 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 2:26pm

I'm hungry.....

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #20 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 7:00pm

Me too... and roger the allure Brew.

I've downed nearly a quart of Omega 3 Fish Oil and vitamin D3 gelcaps eating only salmon, chicken, veggies and fruit over the last month and now you've got my taste buds craving a big rare slab of prime rib smothered in horse radish... 

Screw being pain free all that time, I'll trade a few hits for a meal like that any day as long as the O2 is at the ready...
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2010 at 7:02pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!