Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Just say NO to psychedelics (Read 9027 times)
black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Re: Just say NO to psychedelics
Reply #25 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 12:53pm

Quote:
Basically ClusterBusters attempts to address the cause while traditional drugs attempt to address the symptoms

i can hardly understand what this means.Doesn't busting every few days attempts to to adress the symptoms?what's the difference?

as for the article

Quote:
the responsibility for your own health is yours, whether you take that responsibility or not

i beg to differ.especially in this part.
i wouldn't like to ever to go for a heart operation for example with a ''traditional doc'' who would say me such thing.
So i ll stick better with the hippocratic oath they give
and rights & obligations in the relationship of doc/patient.
Also i never saw any alternative health practicioner
send anyone for MRI and what technology provides nowdays so the whole thing is a bit ackward as the alternative don't separate mind and body and believes in Bechamp’s ‘polymorphism and terrain theory’ which acknowledges and works with the body’s own in-built healing mechanisms but i can see how this falls like paper tower in case for example of a tumor.
human nature is artificial but nature in a wider sense out of us itself proceeds and both a health and a sick person are considered physical by her.Nature is indiferrent
a case of gagraina and alternative medicine is a joke.

Also the knowledge of triptamines comes from traditional medicine as it seems necessary to separate mind and body to have this wonderful board.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
How else can we talk about neurotrasmitters and hippothalamus etc which technology brings in the surface with such a narrow thing as Bechamp’s ‘polymorphism and terrain theory’?

i am not denying that in my mind medicine is one and whatever helps without doing other bad at the same is good.I also don't deny that the succesful stories here from bustin have made me wonder about the nature of what i suffer,ch.

But at the end the question remains

Quote:
but if we don't speak out and let everybody we can know about this, nothing's gonna happen. These drugs will stay illegal and those who choose to break the law and use them anyway, because nothing else works anywhere near as well, will continue to be criminals

&

Quote:
I don't mean to suggest that psychedelics be the first-line option for anyone diagnosed with CH. I do feel that ALL sufferers and ALL members of the medical community who treat them should be made aware of their existence and given the option, as informed adults, of using them as adjuncts to their treatment, if they so choose, without fear of legal repercussions.

what's the plan?
if by breaking the law using them(and i am giving a two way meaning here.Problems with the law-two years for possesion or use easily here- and second possible problems-my fear- with health by using them which law tries to prevent.) i ll still continue to be criminal and add another one in the list.that's the idea?
the more we become the better?
we all have to become pioneers(with anything good and bad this includes) with the hope someone sees/hear us and cares to research for a med legal and without any side effects ad by that time we ll sit here and have ridiculous conversations about which medicine is better the orthodox or the alternative?

Don't get me wrong i am not fighting anyone here except the reason and in a way everyone here makes sense about his thoughts,fears and hopes(sometimes reading behind the words) but still this isn't enough.

I don't even understand how the world really acts with so many different studies i ve read about ch reasons and so many different half outcomes and yet i don't understand at all how if busting could lead to a reasearch(?)

isn't any other way to try move things?
a petition maybe with signs for research(i would gladly sign it especially since i am not using them easily  but send it where?) as this pain is too much and something better must be done according to our own demands?

otherwise we ll be here chatting why anyone didn't recommend alternative and if it's good to hold this side for traditional and the other for alternative??!

hope these make some sense.

p.s.i do believe too discussion is good anyway so let's keep it any time.

« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2010 at 1:07pm by black »  

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #26 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:45pm

Black,

Petitions, requests, etc for research have been made.  The issue is though that psychoactive drugs have been ruled "medically useless" by the government without doing a full study of them.  Therefore, requests for further study are categorically denied because there is no documentation of any effective medical use.  What the folks at Clusterbusters are doing is providing their own research anecdotally (and they are doing a great job of it!) in order to establish a baseline that will validate further study.  That is how the Bromo-LSD trial came about.  The effectiveness of psychoactive agents is shown, but the cost of doing full scale trials so far has been out of our reach.  Pharmacological companies have shown no interest in a remedy they cannot patent.  I can understand why, although I would like to see them be a bit more altruistic.  The cost of doing full scale studies that will pass FDA muster AFTER they have gotten enough anecdotal evidence from those willing to go outside the law for relief is staggering.  Without a patent on the ensuing drug they will never recoup their investment.

I've seen with my own eyes the difference in the lives of good friends who have been able to take advantage of psychoactive agents.  I would be one of them if I were in a slightly different circumstance.  Frankly, I envy them.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #27 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 1:57pm

Quote:
The issue is though that psychoactive drugs have been ruled "medically useless" by the government without doing a full study of them.  Therefore, requests for further study are categorically denied because there is no documentation of any effective medical use

By saying further study you mean there is a half official study already  which suggests that there is no effective medical use?
Also i don't realize how you say clusterbusters are doing a great job  providing their own research anecdotally in order to establish a baseline that will validate further study..Isn't necessary an objective well around accepted co-ordinator to gather information under a standard accepted procedure of study?
who is that co-ordinator?
how could anecdotal evidence convince anybody?
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010 at 1:59pm by black »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #28 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 2:34pm

Quote:
who is that co-ordinator?

The name that keeps popping up in one study after another is Dr. John Halpern.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #29 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 2:36pm

brew provide some links pls if possible

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #30 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 2:52pm

Is your googler broken?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #31 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 3:19pm

Quote:
Also i don't realize how you say clusterbusters are doing a great job  providing their own research anecdotally in order to establish a baseline that will validate further study..Isn't necessary an objective well around accepted co-ordinator to gather information under a standard accepted procedure of study?

Why don't you ask them?

Here is another link for you....

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #32 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 3:28pm

it's like googling a watch while i am asking for current time.

note to myself>rephrase questions better.some people answer only literally.

so let me google

-which study after study after study

oh well i ll do it myself even if i am currently bored too only not in bad mood

nice watch!

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #33 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 3:37pm

Quote:
Why don't you ask them?

Here is another link for you....

it was a question towards callico jimi not clusterbusters site....
thanks for pointing the link..was it there a long time ?
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010 at 3:38pm by black »  

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #34 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 11:26pm

Back in the 70's there was a big push to ban opiates, in particular heroin, and some in Congress used that as a smoke screen to try to distract the populace from what was going on in Viet Nam.  During the hearings in Congress a lot of non-factual information was put out there demonizing recreational drug use and abuse.  While there was a problem with abuse and misuse some of the grandstanding dragged in LSD, and along with it Psylocybin, which were being actually used for some medical/psychiatric purposes.  I'll not go in to whether they were really effective for all they were used for, and they WERE being abused by those in the drug culture, there were some promising studies being done. 

A couple of Senators are the ones who labeled them "of no medical use", not the medical community, and they were banned in the law that was passed banning opiates.  They are not opiate, but were banned as such.  It worked though.  The Senators got re-elected by harping against drug abuse rather than by dealing with real problems we were having.

Mind you, I am NOT in favor of drug abuse or misuse.  I will very rarely take any pain medication stronger than Ibuprofen even though prescribed because I have seen first hand the danger of dependence and/or addiction.  What I do have a problem with is grandstanding politicians messing with other peoples lives just to stay in power when they don't know what they are talking about.  I've never wished CH on anyone, but there are some of them that definitely deserve it.  ONE K10 and you would find some serious study being done RIGHT NOW!

There is some study being done, primarily in Europe because we cannot get the FDA to allow testing in the US, and it is because of the "anecdotal evidence" provided by a number of folks involved with Clusterbuster who have kept very detailed and accurate records of their trials.  It is they, not the pharmaceutical companies who have done the real leg work to try to get what appears to be our best hope legitimized. 

I cannot participate, as much as I believe in what they are doing, because of personal circumstances.  I have family involved in law enforcement and I will not compromise their integrity.  Therefore, I've been chronic for over 8 years after over 20 years episodic.  Most of that was without any medication after becoming dependent on prescribed narcotics (some would say addicted).  I took myself off, and the withdrawal was not something I ever want to do again.  While I've been chronic I've watched good friends who were also chronic go as much as 6 months PF on ONE dose of shrooms that wasn't enough to get as much of a buzz as one beer.  One of those friends had lost his last job in a series of decreasingly worthwhile jobs, had lost his wife and family, his home and almost everything he had.  He now has a very good job, his life back in the good, and is doing well just for dosing once every 6 months.

We would love to do a "standard accepted procedure of study" just as soon as you can convince our wise and all knowing corrupted government officials to allow it, and as soon as you can come up with the funding for said study.  In the mean time the folks at Clusterbusters are keeping our hopes alive.

If you choose not to participate that is entirely your perogative, but for you to sit there and demean what they are doing when you know nothing about it is wrong.  If you want serious discussion of the subject or if you have real questions you would like answered I will be happy to do all I can to help.  However, the tone I am getting from you is diametrically opposed to that.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #35 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 11:41pm

Excellent post, Jerry.  Very thoughtful, and very thought-provoking.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #36 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 1:08am

I wonder what an answer is to a not real question of a not serious discussion according to your opinion..

sorry but you just demean it yourself and i didn't do anything really to help along the way except saying openly my own thoughts and questions which i find sincere.

so i ll just shut it up here if thats the will according to the general mood of the last posts i read and wish truly the anecdotal evidence to lead to a legal med in the end we can buy worldwide from the pharms some day.
If it is meant to happen,it will happen anyway without me asking or not questions...and that's my tone.

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #37 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 3:40am

Black I appreciate your thoughts and think I understand much of them
It is difficult to show much more than anecdotal data. Most of it initiated on this site.

There are allways the legalities to be aware of with LSD and Psylocibin but there is quality of life that we are more aware of.
I use only the LSA seeds (not illegal where I live) and dont think anyone cares if I feel a little lethargic every few months when I crush a few tiny seeds. I care because I live a vastly better life now with only occasional breakthroughs of CH.

This article by Andrew Sewel an interested researcher and ally in the medical/academic field helps to explain that.

Calico nice post,

Noone is forced to participate in the CB ways, And I dont think Black is trying to demean anything, just better understand as we all are.
Most past and current research into hallucinogenics is directed to more phsyciatric and functional brain operational characteristics regarding serotonin etc... receptors, synapses, frequencies and alterations inside the mind vs the body whole.
The research papers are plentifull. Most of what we know comes from pouring over many multiples of inputs and arriving at something that allmost makes sense. The science isnt there yet to say this is why it works. But pretty good theories are coming out. I am allways amazed at the way little ideas grow into serious science. I dont think aspirin can be explained yet either nor can oxygen to my satisfaction, but it helps many. Google scholar is a good search platform for more info.

An interesting aside; the discovery of LSD and Serotonin (2 near identical chemical structures, one natural and one synthetic.) occured at allmost the exact same time. Serotonin likely being the suspect chemical for most of our woes.
Its late not sure any of this made sense.

MJ

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #38 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 7:38am

Black, I'm not certain what you have against anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal is simply the collective experience of a group. When that experience is scrutinized under test conditions it becomes anecdotal plus test validated. That's why prescriptions carry the anecdotal experience of a test group as: some may experience headache, nause, nose bleeds, euphoria, sudden death...and then give the percentage of those who report such things. Nothing wrong with anecdotal. It's the beginning of research. lance

IP Logged

Lee_Ann
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Texas
Reply #39 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 11:31am

I am not a scientist, data collector, survey taker, etc.  I have no idea how any of that works or what it takes to prove a theory or get a drug passed.

I am simply the wife of someone who suffers Chronic Cluster Headaches.  After trying all man made drugs used to treat CH and 3 surgeries, including the Occipital Nerve Stimulator trial, his neurologist diagnosed him Chronic Refractory.  The only thing that has provided him sustained relief without side effects is Clusterbusters.

No one ever pressured him to try it, except me.  In fact, he had never been on the message board here or CB.com until he experienced many pain free days.

"My Goal is BOL"  How do we get there?  I don't know. The only thing I have contributed to that goal is my husband's success story.

If you choose not to try the Clusterbuster method, I understand.  There are many reasons not to.  But there are other ways to contribute to this goal, if that is your goal too.  For example, if your concern is how the study is being conducted, get involved with the study.  Learn about it.  Help collect data.  Interview people. Attend CH conventions.  Maybe you can contribute in ways that no one has ever thought of.

Wishing you all success in dealing with CH, in whatever manner you choose.

Lee Ann

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #40 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 11:39am

Quote:
There are many reasons not to.

No, there's really only one. Fear. Once I got past that, a pain-free world awaited.

All I'm saying is that people need to deeply examine the root of their fear. Then ask yourself "What's the worst that could happen?"

The worst almost always exists only in our minds.

I don't normally extol the virtues of this treatment because of one thing - fear. Fear of losing my livelihood. But that fear is also highly unfounded. Nobody could prove anything even if they tried. So as I get over my fear and become more public about it, my hope is that others will work past their fears as well.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #41 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 11:46am

Twenty two hundred days ago,  before I ever heard of shrooms being beneficial I ate a jag purely for recreational purposes.  I've been PF since.  Am I in remission or was it the shrooms?  I don't know nor do I care.  I would bust in a second If it came back.

Potter

IP Logged

Lee_Ann
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Texas
Reply #42 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 1:06pm

Yay Brew and Potter Cheesy

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear."
--- H.P. Lovecraft

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #43 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 4:45pm

Brew wrote on Oct 30th, 2010 at 11:39am:
Quote:
There are many reasons not to.

No, there's really only one. Fear. Once I got past that, a pain-free world awaited.

All I'm saying is that people need to deeply examine the root of their fear. Then ask yourself "What's the worst that could happen?"

The worst almost always exists only in our minds.

I don't normally extol the virtues of this treatment because of one thing - fear. Fear of losing my livelihood. But that fear is also highly unfounded. Nobody could prove anything even if they tried. So as I get over my fear and become more public about it, my hope is that others will work past their fears as well.

WOW! What a great post...I finally understand what has been puzzling me for years. My own reluctance....

I am a child of the 60's. Have no moral, ethical, or theological objections to "psychedelics". As a young man had no qualms with "using" illicit drugs...with one exception. For whatever reason, I fully bought into the demonization of this one class of "substances"...the psychedelics.

It was...it is...the "fear". I suppose, reflecting, it was the fear of losing at least some form of control while under the influence, and perhaps messing with the perceived tenuous grasp of mental health I had (and still have). Yes, I KNOW we can use sub hallucinogenic doses...but still there's...

Fear? Oh yeah. A deep, DEEP seated fear that I now know is illogical and limiting.... but dammit, all too real.

Trying to drop a phobia, an addiction, a long held belief, is incredibly hard...and not something I've ever been very successful at. This one is my next challenge...but thanks to you Brew...at least I understand what I'm facing. That's a start...

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #44 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 6:06pm

Hi guys and gals,

I said I wasn't going to post to this thread any longer since I believed that nothing good was coming out of it. I think that's changed. I applaud the last few contributors, especially you, Brew - you're my new hero!

Ron

Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps.
  -Blake

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #45 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 8:13pm

There are those who may not want to try busting due to stringent drug testing at their places of employment.  There are also those who have reasons that we may not understand or agree with, but they are *their* reasons and noone has a right to dipute that or disagree with them (ask Clusterchuck why he won't bust).

As to the illegality of psychodelics, LSD was actually legal in the late 1950s'.  The US Army did experiments on soldiers at Menlo Park Veterans Hospital using different psychoactive drugs (LSD, psilocibin, mescaline and amphetamine IT-290).  Back in college, I did a paper on the author of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.  The subject of the paper was Ken Kesey, the author, and the impact psychodelics had on his writing.  Ken Kesey was one of those that was in the govt. program.  Thus was the beginning of the Merry Pranksters and the advent of the psychodelic scene.

LSD was made illegal first in California and then the Federal Government made it illegal.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #46 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 8:42pm

Fear comes in many colors. Like I said, the whole subject still generates fears in me.

Fear is also one of the greatest motivators known to the animal world.

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #47 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 1:49am

Pinkfloyd introduced a new company this evening on Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. I don't want to steal his thunder any more than to provide the link. I think you'll find that it directly pertains to the discussion here: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps.
  -Blake

IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
CH.com Hall of Famer

comfortably numb

x0||USA||||IL,Illinois
Reply #48 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 8:05pm

Thanks Bonkers.
I never care where the thunder comes from as long as everyone hears it.

I'll post more info in its own thread.

Thanks for the good discussion in this thread.

Bob

"those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
- C.S. Lewis
WWW psiloscribe pinkshroomrat  
IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #49 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 1:55pm

Brew:

Your the Man!  I hear and understand your concerns.

CH's alone can end a career!

At the moment My great fear is this head of pain!

Next cycle I'll tell you all about my adventures and results.   Wink

Peace to all,

Boski

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!