Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Just say NO to psychedelics (Read 9024 times)
bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Just say NO to psychedelics
Oct 26th, 2010 at 7:10pm

Hi,

I've gotten the impression lately that the majority of this site's members would prefer that any discussion of the use of psychedelics in the treatment of CH be restricted to the sister site, clusterbusters.com. Rather than engage questioners in discussion about psychedelics, those of us who champion their use should instead direct them to the clusterbuster site and not discuss them here. Is my impression correct?

Ron

Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps.
  -Blake

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Re: Just say NO to psychedelics
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 7:18pm

Please point me to where you read something that would give you reason to think this. 

I'm not trying to be flippant, just that I haven't read anything like that myself.

DJ has always allowed and even encouraged open discussion here about these alternative treatments. 

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 7:25pm

IM is good.

Potter

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 7:54pm

Several board members have posted rather "pointed" responses to people who have attempted to discuss any of the "alternative" treatments on this board. There is no such restriction that I as a member, or a moderator, have been made aware of.

That being said, if I start advertising a business on this board to grow and sell illegal mushrooms, there are going to be issues. If I in general terms explain that mushrooms possess a compound capable of halting cycles completely, and encourage them to view the studies posted on clusterbusters.com     I don't see a problem.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 8:47pm

Okay. Maybe I was a little hasty. Even paranoid... but... just the same.

Redd, my impressions were formed after reading the thread "Lots of questions" in "Medications, Treatments, Therapies." It seemed that no one was willing to provide Kim D with any information other than directing her to the ClusterBuster website. Joe, no offense, but you told her that "You'll really need to register on the clusterbusters site. For a number of reasons, we don't deal with that subject outside of the referrals we give." Potter, I don't know what "IM" refers to. Marc, I am now and will forever be grateful for the support given me by the members of this website. Had I not found it, my son might well be dead. I love you guys; you're family. I don't mean to be critical. I just don't want to step on anybody's toes by posting unwanted comments. I thought perhaps some unwritten rules had been changed that I hadn't been made aware of.

Ron
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2010 at 8:50pm by bonkers »  

-Blake

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 9:03pm

bonkers wrote on Oct 26th, 2010 at 8:47pm:
Okay. Maybe I was a little hasty. Even paranoid... but... just the same.

Redd, my impressions were formed after reading the thread "Lots of questions" in "Medications, Treatments, Therapies." It seemed that no one was willing to provide Kim D with any information other than directing her to the ClusterBuster website. Joe, no offense, but you told her that "You'll really need to register on the clusterbusters site. For a number of reasons, we don't deal with that subject outside of the referrals we give." Potter, I don't know what "IM" refers to. Marc, I am now and will forever be grateful for the support given me by the members of this website. Had I not found it, my son might well be dead. I love you guys; you're family. I don't mean to be critical. I just don't want to step on anybody's toes by posting unwanted comments. I thought perhaps some unwritten rules had been changed that I hadn't been made aware of.

Ron

Instant Message.

Potter

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 9:17pm

Ron,

I'm one who has referred people to clusterbusters primarily because I have no firsthand experience with them and can't advise properly.  I am NOT against their use, and if my circumstances were to change I would be right in there. 

I also know that some who bust are also very cognizant of issues if it were known that they do.  They can be very careful about recommendations as to procedures, etc., or even saying to try them.  They may have livelyhoods that can be effected.  I posted to Kim in support of a couple of them. 

Please don't get the idea that alternatives should never be discussed here.  Personally, although I cannot use them, I would never tell another not to, nor would I do anything to discourage it. I've seen first-hand the good that they do.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 10:31pm

A usual I didn't make myself clear! Wink I suggested she register at clusterbusters, in the hope one of the many well versed people there would take her by the hand and give her a better run down then I could with my very limited knowledge.

Joe

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 10:39pm

Damn! Looks like I jumped the gun (as usual). I misinterpreted a few comments and shoved my foot directly into my open mouth (again, as usual). I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I'll try to be more cautious and next time I'll look a little more closely before I leap.

Ron

-Blake

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 10:56pm

I personally choose not to share anything that could come back to bite me or my career. I have people who depend on me.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 11:39pm

Maybe I'm a little more adventurous (foolhardy?) now that I'm retired. But I feel it's critical that this information be disseminated as widely as possible, as quickly as possible. These substances flat out work against cluster headaches. For most sufferers, not only their current HA but their future HAs are eliminated. NOTHING works that well. Nothing's even close. Maybe I'm too open, too enthusiastic in championing these drugs, but if we don't speak out and let everybody we can know about this, nothing's gonna happen. These drugs will stay illegal and those who choose to break the law and use them anyway, because nothing else works anywhere near as well, will continue to be criminals. No research will be conducted and these magic substances will stay in the shadows. I personally don't intend to stop until these drugs are readily available, with a prescription, to every clusterhead in the world.

-Blake

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #11 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 1:32am

Well, I think it is good to air this out so we all understand each other.  Over the last couple of years I have come to believe that both websites are essential for us clusterheads.  This site seems to get a lot of the brand new people or the people who have suffered for a long time and finally found a support group. 

I definitely think it is important for the newbies to learn that the psychoactive medicines exist if they want to use them. 

For the real details of their use, the busters website is more detailed.  I would send people there to get a 'how-to' tutorial to use the medicine effectively.  And to meet a bunch of great folks (just like here), in fact many of us overlap. 

**opinion alert**  It is my opinion, in the end we will all get away from the harsh pharmaceuticals and get onto something more like the Bromo-LSD when it gets FDA approved.  From my psilocybe experiences and the stories of the Bromo researchers it just sounds like a better solution to the cluster pain than anything else. (opinion over, please throw your ripe tomatoes now).  Cheesy
Anywho, keep up the good work everyone! Wink

--The Shaggy Smiley

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #12 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 7:09am

Quote:
psychoactive medicines

correction.psychoactive drugs.

if the purpose is a research to be done on this don't upgrade them just yet.There is a major difference between drug and medicine.The second has been tested over and over while the first has come directly from nature if it's not chemical.
Moreover i don't really understand how a pressure for others to use them can lead to a research(could someone explain the..plan?!).
And bonkers it is pressure cause you just didn't even bother to ask kim what treatments has already done and what not, as there are chronic who are resistant to treatments and episodics who might get relief from the same as it seems that there are major differences between clusterheads(medical literature)

Finally at the other topic here -75% stand up- i only see updates of how succesful it is and pf makes while i ve never read anything here not even for a slight side effect while on clusterbusters has been mentioned(trip).

two articles for whoever wants to read.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; *

Quote:
Psilocin mainly interacts with 5-HT1A, 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptor subtypes: it is a mixed receptor agonist. In contrast to LSD, psilocin does not have an effect on the dopamine receptor. Tryptamines and phenethylamine hallucinogens both have a relatively high affinity for serotonin 5-HT2 receptors, but they differ in their affinity for other subtypes of serotonin receptors. The correlation between the relative affinity of hallucinogens for 5-HT2-receptors and their potency as hallucinogens in human beings suggest that an important component of the mechanism of action of these substances is through stimulation of brain 5-HT2-receptors. A primary role for the 5-HT2-receptor in the mechanism of hallucinations is further suggested by the observation that antagonists of the 5-HT2-receptor are effective in blocking the behavioural and electrophysiological effects of hallucinogenic drugs in animals and in man. Although 5HT2-receptors are certainly involved, at present, it is not possible to attribute the psychedelic effects to any single 5-HT receptor subtype.

Behavioural effects are dependent on dose and the individual reaction and sensitivity to psilocybin, previous experiences and the setting. The major effects are related to the central nervous system, but there are also some sympathomimetic effects. The subjective effects, however, may vary greatly between individuals and from one episode of use to the next within the same person. The effects range from mild feelings of relaxation, giddiness, euphoria, visual enhancement (seeing colours brighter), visual disturbances (moving surfaces, waves), to delusions, altered perception of real events, images and faces, or real hallucinations. The sensory distortions may be coupled with restlessness, incoordination, feelings of anxiety, impaired judgement of time or distance, sense of unreality or even depersonalisation. These effects may be termed 'bad trips' by users and can also involve panic reactions and psychosis-like states.

In general, the physiological effects are not significant, but may include dizziness, nausea, weakness, muscle aching, shivering, abdominal pain, dilation of pupils (mydriasis), mild-to-moderate increase in heart rate (tachycardia) and breathing (tachypnea) and elevation of blood pressure. Generally, body temperature remains normal. However, pronounced physical symptoms such as severe stomach pain, persistent vomiting, diarrhoea etc. have been recorded

ever question why are illegal?

* Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2010 at 7:16am by black »  

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #13 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 8:11am

Quote:
These substances flat out work against cluster headaches.
Only if you do it correctly, a skill I have yet to master! Wink

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #14 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 11:59am

Ron, I think it's a good question and one you needn't apologize for. I didn't think you were aggressive or offensive in any way. I, for one, am grateful for you and others who helped me see an alternative approach. Just wondering, though. Why and when was clusterbusters put up as a site? I get its mission, and I applaud it, but there must have been at least a felt need that a dedicated site was more appropriate than occasional mention on a site such as this one. lance

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #15 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 1:09pm

It seems that, by default or otherwise, both sites serve different and in themselves highly relevant purposes.

Across both platforms we should advocate sufferers' education in alts, ultimately allowing them to make an informed decision whether to use them or not.

Notwithstanding, it strikes me as sensible to maintain one forum more focused on the more conventional treatments, which should be the first port of call for newcomers, often confused about their condition and its treatment.

I am living proof that alts can be the treatment of choice, but that doesnt mean that they are or necessarily should be for someone who has a 3-week cycles every couple of years and who effectively deals with them with Verapamil and red bull.

Additionally, the entire topic of alts navigates a very narrow path and one in which tolerances on many levels are minimal. Consequently, a public forum that serves a large number of newcomers may not be the best place for the subject (does not mean we deny its existence).

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with moving to level 2 only after having completed level 1.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #16 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 4:01pm

bonkers wrote on Oct 26th, 2010 at 7:10pm:
I've gotten the impression lately that ...

Is my impression correct?

Ron,

I was wondering if a change to a different thread title would be considered as more of a question, such as, "psychedelics ok?" in order to reflect the views posted here as well as your own,

bonkers wrote on Oct 26th, 2010 at 11:39pm:
I feel it's critical that this information be disseminated as widely as possible, as quickly as possible. These substances flat out work against cluster headaches. For most sufferers, not only their current HA but their future HAs are eliminated.

instead of any negative impression of consensus.   

Smiley

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #17 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 4:23pm

Oxygen and energy drinks are the only things CH'ers use that are less innocuous than psychedelics when those psychedelics are used at recommended dosage levels. Most sufferers only need a fraction of what recreational users take to bust their HAs - sub-hallucinogenic or less than what is required to produce hallucinations is what is typically taken.

Black, where do you read of anyone applying pressure on others to take these substances? All I read is of the enthusiasm of those who have successfully used psychedelics to treat their CH. Who wouldn't want to spread the word if they had suffered for many years with this scourge and finally found something that made them instantly disappear - with NO side effects?

I don't mean to suggest that psychedelics be the first-line option for anyone diagnosed with CH. I do feel that ALL sufferers and ALL members of the medical community who treat them should be made aware of their existence and given the option, as informed adults, of using them as adjuncts to their treatment, if they so choose, without fear of legal repercussions.

-Blake

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 5:25pm

I will save space by not retyping it....but Neuropath's response is spot on...in my humble opinion!!! (go back 2 posts) Smiley

Joe

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #19 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 5:39pm

I agree, Joe, that neuropath's response is spot on. (Your wife pointed it out to you though, huh?).

Neuropath, I'm sorry but I don't understand your sentence: "Additionally, the entire topic of alts navigates a very narrow path and one in which tolerances on many levels are minimal."

Ron

-Blake

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #20 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 5:47pm

Additionally, the entire topic of alts navigates a very narrow path and one in which tolerances on many levels are minimal

Oh I can take a stab at that answer  for you Bonkers!

Abortion
Racism
The designated hitter
Medical marijuana
Medical use of mushrooms!

I dare say starting a conversation on ANY of those topics risks starting a sh%$storm that will leave the initial good intentions of the topic left in the dust!!! Wink

Just Joe's educated guess as to what he meant
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2010 at 5:48pm by Guiseppi »  

IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #21 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 9:47pm

I believe you're right, Joe; I was thinking of drug tolerances. You're for sure right about initial good intentions being left in the dust. Along that line, I'd like to apologize for starting this topic. It's taken up far too much of all you folk's good time (mine too), hasn't accomplished anything and hasn't helped anyone. I think helping others is what this site's all about and when we're not doing that we're wasting our time.

I'm going to continue advocating for the use of psychedelic drugs in the treatment of CH on the "Time for the 75-80% to stand up... " topic until I'm asked to stop but will refrain from doing so and will confine my comments to traditional (legal) treatments on the others. I'll not make any more comments here on this topic and I urge others to do the same. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Ron

-Blake

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #22 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 9:59pm

Ron,

I think you're missing the point. There are INDIVIDUALS, like myself, who cannot or will not comment specifically for reasons of personal risk. If you feel as though your commenting on the topic does not put you at risk, have at it, man. I encourage you to do so ON WHATEVER THREAD YOU THINK IS APPROPRIATE.

I can't. I know you understand.

Edited to add: I'll even go one step further and say that folks in my shoes depend on guys like you to get the word out. God bless you for doing so.
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2010 at 7:29am by Brew »  

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #23 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:34pm

black wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 7:09am:
[quote]psychoactive medicines. There is a major difference between drug and medicine.

Wow, quite active today everyone.  I use the word "medicine" more as the traditional use, not the modern pharmaceutical style.  Since the psilocybes are a traditional medicine I believe it fits.  Lots of things can be "good medicine" that you wouldn't get at the pharmacy.  The words tend to interchange a lot.  Don't know if that was what you were getting at??

--Shaggy Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:35pm by shaggyparasol »  

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #24 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 12:33am

Quote:

"psychoactive medicines"

"correction.psychoactive drugs.

if the purpose is a research to be done on this don't upgrade them just yet.There is a major difference between drug and medicine.The second has been tested over and over while the first has come directly from nature if it's not chemical."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first (nature) are the chemicals where all medicinal drugs are derived from.
The second (manufactured drugs) is an attempt to synthesize nature and put a price on it.
Both are good to an extent but in the process sometimes a superiority lies in nature. As may be the case with tryptans vs tryptamines

"ORTHODOX MEDICINE which sees mind and body as separate entities, is based on Pasteur’s ‘germ theory’ which has resulted in the multi-billion $ pharmaceutical industry which funds, educates and controls modern medicine.
(In short, we are the random victims of external microbes and are dependent upon healing via external intervention (drugs, invasive techniques, surgery, etc.)

ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE describes treatments which are not orthodox (mainstream medicine) - treatments which are an alternative to orthodox. In general, therapies are based on Bechamp’s ‘polymorphism and terrain theory’ which acknowledges and works with the body’s own in-built healing mechanisms.
(In short, we are responsible [please note - not the same as to blame] for our state of health which determines whether we are vulnerable to states which are defensive in nature but labelled inflammatory, infective or degenerative - a cause and effect relationship.)"

Basically ClusterBusters attempts to address the cause while traditional drugs attempt to address the symptoms.

CB "medicines" were once all the rage of the medical communities before silly trippy people helped big pharma and our side funded politicians to get them sent away through misinformation campaigns.
Pre 1970s research showed extreme potential for benefits in many ways. That research is renewed and back again.

I am a strong believer in the clusterbuster medicines and I live the results of being pain free after 34 years not.
I hope these discussions continue allways here, there and everywhere in an open and unbiased or biased way. Just as long as there is a discussion.

An interesting read we can all find fault in if we want but also more truths. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2010 at 12:36am by MJ »  

MJ

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!