Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Not really new - just new to the new site (Read 3627 times)
wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Not really new - just new to the new site
Reply #25 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:31am

Good news, Katie. Many of us find its the Red Bull in combo with O2 that turns the trick. You might want to slam one down and hit the O2 at the same time-or nearly the same time, anyway. And...don't give up on the O2 when the pain stops or lessens. We've learned through experience it's much more effective to continue on the O2 for 5-10 minutes after the attack. This tends to help eliminate bounce backs. Hyperventilating can be tricky but it's what you want. So start on the highest flow rate first and moderate down as the attack lessens. If you have any problems doing this let us know. God bless! lance

IP Logged

Katie C.
CH.com Junior

Northeast Ohio
Reply #26 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 6:58pm

Thanks for the O2 tip. I didn't use it today since I didn't want to do it at work the first time. I'll start it tonight or tomorrow, depending on my next attach, since I'll be at home.

I know that I read on another thread a couple of days ago that someone else had just gotten his and how to use it, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

I want to make sure that I'm doing it right since I've never used it before. Should I just take normal full breaths letting the bag empty and then fill back up as I exhale?

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
WWW Katie C.  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #27 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:44pm

Your provider gives you the the instructions when they deliver the tanks.

Potter

IP Logged

Katie C.
CH.com Junior

Northeast Ohio
Reply #28 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:53pm

He showed me how to use the tanks, mask, regulator etc. But as he is not a CH sufferer, I just figured that someone here could better help me with a breathing technique. I have read the O2 info on the left, but just want to make sure that I have a full understanding in the event that I get an attack in the middle of the night. I don't want to have to be trying to figure out how to breathe when I'm half asleep.

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
WWW Katie C.  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #29 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 9:28pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Read every word it's all there.

Potter

IP Logged

Katie C.
CH.com Junior

Northeast Ohio
Reply #30 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 9:49pm

I have read it. Boy, I really hope people were more helpful to you when you needed it than you are being.  These things are hard enough to deal with alone and now I have to do this by myself too.

I'm sorry.  I'm tired. Tired of being on pain. Tired of having no control. Tired of being a prisoner to the beast in my head. I'm pretty smart. Pretty tough. Pretty good at figuring things out. And pretty good at taking care of myself.

I want my life back. I want the pain gone.

WWW Katie C.  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #31 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 10:41pm

Katie C. wrote on Oct 29th, 2010 at 9:49pm:
I have read it. Boy, I really hope people were more helpful to you when you needed it than you are being.  These things are hard enough to deal with alone and now I have to do this by myself too.

I'm sorry.  I'm tired. Tired of being on pain. Tired of having no control. Tired of being a prisoner to the beast in my head. I'm pretty smart. Pretty tough. Pretty good at figuring things out. And pretty good at taking care of myself.

I want my life back. I want the pain gone.

You've been a member for 400 plus days and all of a sudden we're not helpful.  You have to help yourself.

potter

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #32 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 1:26am

Katie....it's really just as simple as making sure the mask has a good seal and breathing as much pure O2 as you can. Hyperventilation is a good thing in this case.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #33 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 2:18am

Katie, for lack of a better way to put it, there are people on this board who deliver advice with kindness, and people whose advice always seems abrasive. I'd encourage you to take the good where you find it.

The keys to 02:

Get on it right away, a delay of even 2-4 minutes for me can substantially increase my abort time. Your lungs must get ONLY oxygen, no exhaled air, no outside air. That's why the tight seal on the face is critical, and make sure the flow is high enough that the bag does not completely deflate. If you are completely deflating the bag with each breath, concentrate on slowing your breathing a little.

Best of luck, we're pulling for ya!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #34 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 2:27am

Katie C. wrote on Oct 29th, 2010 at 8:53pm:
I have read the O2 info on the left, but just want to make sure that I have a full understanding in the event that I get an attack in the middle of the night. I don't want to have to be trying to figure out how to breathe when I'm half asleep.

What works well for me is to start early, make sure I've a good seal and the regulator is set at 25lpm. Then I breath deep and fast for a few minutes. As soon as I notice that the pain is decreasing I drop the rate down to 15lmp, keep breathing at a rate that matches the air bag being filled. After a few more minutes I drop down to 10lpm and breath at a more normal rate.

Using this pattern I can normally kill a CH in 6-8 minutes, but I make sure I keep breathing the oxygen for about 5 minutes afterwards as otherwise I tend to get a rebound CH. If that happens I just go back to the higher rate for a few minutes.

I've not got an optimask with a 3 litre bag compared to my previous mask with a 1 litre bag, so I need to experiment to see how it works with the different bag size.

IP Logged

Katie C.
CH.com Junior

Northeast Ohio
Reply #35 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 7:48am

Thank you for your help. I tried it this morning. I think it could have gone better but at least it held the attack at bay.  Trying to breathe fast enough to deplete the bag is hard at 15lpm. It'll just take some practice. Thank you again.

WWW Katie C.  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!