Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
For others new to this (Read 584 times)
SteveinVT
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

For others new to this
Oct 24th, 2010 at 11:14pm

Hi,
I've had CH for 15 years now. Every time I'm in cycle I read the forums here. I decided to register and place this post in order to give a word of encouragement to those who have just started to be effected by this terrible condition.

Treatments have never done much for me. That's the bad news. The good news is that as the years have gone by the severity of my condition has progressively eased. Ten years ago I'd have 2 episodes each year that lasted around 8 weeks. A terrible headache every day (night) lasting 1 1/2 hours or more. Some were so bad that tears would squirt from my left eye and that area would always be sore as if I'd been punched in the eye. The pain made me frantic.

For the past 6 years I go 18-24 months between episodes. They last 4-6 weeks.  I have some PF days. Most headaches are 3/4 of an hour or less. More importantly, I have significantly fewer monster attacks.

Twelve years ago I thought my life was ruined. Now I'm reasonably happy. When I'm in-cycle I just kinda lie low for a month. One last thing...don't expect anyone except those you're VERY close with to understand. Before my first CH I could not have fathomed pain this acute. Things are better for me now.
Steve

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: For others new to this
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 11:42pm

SteveinVT wrote on Oct 24th, 2010 at 11:14pm:
Hi,
I've had CH for 15 years now. Every time I'm in cycle I read the forums here. I decided to register and place this post in order to give a word of encouragement to those who have just started to be effected by this terrible condition.

Treatments have never done much for me. That's the bad news. The good news is that as the years have gone by the severity of my condition has progressively eased. Ten years ago I'd have 2 episodes each year that lasted around 8 weeks. A terrible headache every day (night) lasting 1 1/2 hours or more. Some were so bad that tears would squirt from my left eye and that area would always be sore as if I'd been punched in the eye. The pain made me frantic.

For the past 6 years I go 18-24 months between episodes. They last 4-6 weeks.  I have some PF days. Most headaches are 3/4 of an hour or less. More importantly, I have significantly fewer monster attacks.

Twelve years ago I thought my life was ruined. Now I'm reasonably happy. When I'm in-cycle I just kinda lie low for a month. One last thing...don't expect anyone except those you're VERY close with to understand. Before my first CH I could not have fathomed pain this acute. Things are better for me now.
Steve

Not much to go on Steve.

Potter

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 8:04am

SteveinVT wrote on Oct 24th, 2010 at 11:14pm:
Treatments have never done much for me. That's the bad news. The good news is that as the years have gone by the severity of my condition has progressively eased.

Well, if what you say is true, that is good news for you! And many do experience a remission just as rapid as is the onset of CHs. But not everyone. And you still have them, you're just "handling" the pain. We want to manage the attacks better than that which is why we encourage the use of good abortives and preventatives. Just curious...what have you tried that hasn't worked? Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 10:02am

What they just said! Wink

Like you, as I've gotten older, the intensity of the beast has seemed to lessen. Although I'm not sure if that's because the pain is less, I am better at handling it, or my treatment regimen has just made it easier to handle! The reason we perk up when people mention that traditional meds don't work, is we've read so many horror stories about how badly the meds were prescribed:

02 at too low a flow rate, using re breather masks or even worse, nasal canulas. Verapamil used at pathetically low doses, imtrex given in its oral form, and the list goes on!! Cheesy

Then there are the non traditional treatments found on Clusterbusters.com which have given life and hope back to many!

All that being said, really glad you've joined the board! Hope the beast loses your address permanently.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!