Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cushing's Syndrome (Read 782 times)
his wife
CH.com Old Timer

The sweetest sound is
my children's laughter

Cushing's Syndrome
Oct 24th, 2010 at 9:45am

Has anybody ever got Cushing's Syndrome (other than the puffy face) from taking Prednisone?  Didn't see any results when I searched it.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Re: Cushing's Syndrome
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 10:28am

1) I haven't taken high dose steroids, and haven't take any steroids for more than 2 days, so no, I haven't.

2) I do recall some people here talking about side effects from taking too much cortisone for too long a time - bone issues like osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis) have been mentioned more than once. 

3) Too much prednisone causes the same symptoms as cushings disease, but cushing's disease is a term that generally refers to a tumor in the pituitary gland that causes the body to produce too much corticosteroids ... the puffiness, bloating, etc come without taking any medicine.

4) Hyperadrenocorticism or hypercorticism are generic terms for too much cortisone (regardless of the source).
`
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2010 at 10:31am by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

clavers
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Cushing's Syndrome
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 9:49am

My wife had cushings.  First, they removed most of her pituitary gland, but enough of the tumor was left to still cause the adrenals to produce way too much cortisol.  Next they zapped her remaining pituitary with a photon knife.  Didn't work.  Finally they just removed her adrenal glands.  Now she must take supplements to stay alive.  The disease and treatment caused some chronic complications but she is still around and kicking after 15 years.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!