Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Magnesium (Read 1784 times)
bradish
CH.com Junior

Florida
Magnesium
Oct 17th, 2010 at 11:14pm

When I was diagnosed with CH my neuro told me to take magnesium.  I haven't used it in a few years and don't remember if it worked for me or if I didn't take it.  I am guessing that if I did take it it didn't work or I would remember!  I am in a cluster now and take Verapamil.  I was good after I started taking the Verapamil for about a week.  Three nights ago the headaches came back but switched sides on me for two nights and last night went back to my left side.  This has never happened to me before.  Also, two years ago I was in a cluster for nine months everyday/night.  I just don't want this to get that bad again.  I apoligize for all my rambling but after a few weeks of no sleep its starting top catch up to me.  I am sure you all know what I am talking about!!!   Cheesy

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Magnesium
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 12:23am

Several on the board take a magnesium supplement, I'm one of them. Does not cure CH, but does seem to reduce the frequency and intensity of the attacks.

Lately we've taken it a step further with what we're calling the Batch "PH Diet". The idea is to alter your arterial PH to make you less succeptible to CH attacks.

Magnesium, Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D and Zinc, washed down with lemonade, up to 4X daily. Cheap and certainly worth a try. Not a cure by any means, but did help me through a crappy high point in my last cycle.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 7:58am

What dosage on the verapamil? I started at 80mgs and at first (23 years ago) that worked. Since April I've been on 400mgs and that has gone a long way to eliminating the cycle. lance

IP Logged

bradish
CH.com Junior

Florida
Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 8:49am

I will try the magnesium.  I always take a vitiamin supplement and am going to try melatonin also.  I just don't know why the Verapamil worked for a week or so and now its not.  I probably is knocking some out but I get at least on a night.  I take 240mg of Verapamil.  When i was in the 9 month cluster the doc up it  to 300some.  Can't remember the dosage.  I only did that for a day.  My blood pressure went to low and was so dizzy I had to leave work early.  I was then put on Depakote along with the Verapamil and that seemed to work.  Thanks for your support.  I am so glad I found you on here!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 9:16am

If the verapamil doesn't remain effective, speak to your doctor about Lithium. At 1200 mg a day it blocks 60-70% of my hits. Unlike the Hollywood steretype of a mouth breathing zombie!!! Cheesy.....if I didn't tell you I was taking Lithium you'd never know it. Some get slight hand tremors while on it, it does cause a little lethargy, but nothing a cup of coffee doesn't eliminate. Has been an effective tool for many.

Joe

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 3:22pm

Joe,

That's cause you breathed through your mouth before you started!  LOL!

Bradish,

Lithium works for many.  I had probs with it, but then I had probs with Depakote, Dopeymax, Verap, . . .  .  I started using Kudzu a few years ago and got the results of Verap and Lithium without the side effects.  If you don't get relief with the meds look into Kudzu.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Chris H
CH.com Sponsor

CH with CH

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 7:39pm

Joe, What was your starting dose of lithium? Curious if you had any relief at 600mg (which I'm on and not feeling the love). -Chris

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 2:22am

20 years or so ago I started at 900 mg a day. At that dose it was blocking about 80-90% of my attacks. 5-7?? years ago we had to up it to 1200 mg a day, and it only blocks 60-70% of my attacks. Sadly it's typical of the beasts ability to morph!

Talk to your doc before adjusting your dosing up as it requires a little blood work to avoid the whole toxicity issue. 600 does seem a bit low.........

Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!