Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
testing the o2 concetrator (Read 2448 times)
black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
testing the o2 concetrator
Oct 17th, 2010 at 1:48pm

i have it since last friday.rent.
up to 5 lpm with nasal cannula.It's too early to be sure as i ve tested only about 15-20 times till now but i have some pretty good hopes at least till now.
average time of headache is 40-50 min and the pressure in the face subsides constantly even though there are some peeks in pain for some min now and then that are pretty damn but i guess i ve been much worser than this.

now it could be ch morphing again and of course it doesn't abort in ways the oxygen works for most of you as in the info advises but it's something.
i ll update this in two months or even more if it is necessary just to be sure about what i am saying(i am thinking to rent it till christmas and then decide if it's worth buying one.)
ordered a non reabreather mask from the o2 supplier which must be on it's way for better results maybe.

we ll see how this goes

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: testing the o2 concetrator
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 2:24pm

Since your CHs are still 40-50 minutes I'd really consider changing to using the standard high flow rate oxygen set up as you'll probably see the duration drop to under 10 minutes.

There is no way I'd want to change my oxygen cylinder / 25lmp regulator / non-rebreather mask for a concentrator now I'm used to what it can do.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 3:00pm

After using 25 lpm I'm looking to increase not decrease the flow.  You couldn't pay me enough to go to a concentrator.  Good luck to you.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 3:07pm

Quote:
Since your CHs are still 40-50 minutes I'd really consider changing to using the standard high flow rate oxygen set up as you'll probably see the duration drop to under 10 minutes.

i would consider a breaking news if what i said already proves right in the passage of time as the concentrator has already been dismissed as not helping at all.
Of course i ll have to wait much longer as i said to see what are the precise results.
if you read my post i already know what is suggested.
i am just posting this with caution myself as comparison between no O2 at all and the concentrator and not of course what you are using(o2 is not cheap at all.it is just cheaper than imitrex and we don't all have welders where we live.)
so i am doing this for myself of course and for others who might be in the same situation with being as much accurate as possible

Quote:
There is no way I'd want to change my oxygen cylinder / 25lmp regulator / non-rebreather mask for a concentrator now I'm used to what it can do.

message sent was not necessarily a message received.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2010 at 3:27pm by black »  

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 3:15pm

Quote:
After using 25 lpm I'm looking to increase not decrease the flow.  You couldn't pay me enough to go to a concentrator.  Good luck to you.

Jerry

i couldn't pay you enough to go to concetrator?!.....didn't you think at all that this topic might not be for you? Tongue

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 3:58pm

I get the feeling that a language/culture gap may be affecting the dialogue here...?

Black, it appears to me that the responders are just hoping you could get the fast effective results like they are with their high LPM systems, and they probably (like me) haven't been keeping track of what's available or affordable for you where you live.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 4:19pm

Quote:
get the feeling that a language/culture gap may be affecting the dialogue here...?

Black, it appears to me that the responders are just hoping you could get the fast effective results like they are with their high LPM systems, and they probably (like me) haven't been keeping track of what's available or affordable for you where you live.

no language/culture gap here.
just mass spamming doesn't leave room for anything else to breath and moreover not everything being written on the site means it concerns everyone.
we are different on ch but also different people too.
we all try to make our way up but that doesn't mean we are at the same spot

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 9:42pm

2 months renting a concentrator last cycle ended up costing us $900 sine our insurance wouldn't cover it. Helped a little ( kept ha to 7s) but never aborted them. ( prescribed by doctor even, that was a tough pill to swallow!)

I really wished it had worked; empty o2 tank at night isn't fun. Let us know how the experiment works, i'm curious if the right mask will up the success rate.

Never, never, never give up.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2010 at 11:15pm

black wrote on Oct 17th, 2010 at 3:15pm:
Quote:

Jerry

i couldn't pay you enough to go to concetrator?!.....didn't you think at all that this topic might not be for you? Tongue

I bow out.  You have your mind made up.  I'll keep that in mind in the future when you are asking opinions.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 7:55am

black wrote on Oct 17th, 2010 at 1:48pm:
ordered a non reabreather mask from the o2 supplier which must be on it's way for better results maybe. we ll see how this goes

Black, I'm confused. You are "just now" ordering a non-rebreather mask, and yet that is a key component of effective O2 treatment. Does this mean you have not really been able to implement high flow rate O2 (15lpm or higher) using a non-rebreather mask as the O2 tip suggests? And if not, why try something else instead of the full gear we have found so effective?

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #10 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 11:33am

Now that I have a full keyboard I can type a little easier- hate those smart phones.

I should ammend my post to say they TRIED to charge us $900, ended up only having to pay $450 since they couldn't prove the dates they rented it to us. (I keep EXCELLENT records of everything medical and insurance related- got back $400 from my doctor they overcharged us for the birth of our 2nd daughter because of it) Seemed like a really shadey medical rental place so maybe it was just them.

Anyway, Lucas also did not use a nonrebreathing mask, so that might have been the difference. (for the record, he was also rented 2 E tanks at the same time and they were equally ineffective, same mask as the concentrator so that probably played a big role) Because of that we thought oxygen only helped the tiniest bit until we found the different technique to try from this website.

Just thought I'd add our experience with a concentrator- I'm really interested to see what the correct mask difference will make- keep us all posted.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #11 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 12:44pm

Well, it's your head.

Let us know how it goes.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 3:07pm

thanks birds.you are nice.

Lauren i have almost the same results with you.a kip from 5-6 with with some peeks of 7.hope it's not the beast but rather that the machine helps some.
it's something at least in addition to previous friday of kip 10 and continuous hours with nothing.
i ll update this in time.till then cross your fingers it's not
the beast but it really helps even not as high flow tanks do but better than nothing.kept also lithium+verap in same low dosage for other reasons but also so a third factor won't confuse me with this even more.
i rent it 100 euros per month while a tank goes up to
20 euros each(no state insurance here -different system-since i am out of job and i have a limited other regular income in which i have to manage things with).
also i have a question for you.what did your husband understand from the concentrator,the max kip 7 was finally the ch morph or the machine helping so?
till now optimistic and ...smile!
Smiley

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 8:38am

Lets see, we had the concentrator from March to May 2008, so we had it almost his entire cycle. He'd have to stay on it for the duration of his headache and like I said before it only kept them to around a 7, but we all know that is a BIG difference from a 10! It worked like that through the entire cycle, so I don't think it just his cycle morphing. He'd get hit really badly when he was away from it.

It was exhausting though, he'd be up 3 times a night with them during the peak and have to ride the whole ha out. Given the choice we'd go with the welding oxygen and melatonin, but if it was all that was available I'd do the concentrator again. Even the slightest relief from these things is worth it!

I'm so sorry about what you're going through, we can all sympathize with tough times. (Hell, as 2 poor college kids my husband and I lived off of beans for a week! Also so poor we couldn't buy dogfood- so the dog ate beans as well. Yeah, I slept on the couch that week- I let those 2 have the bed to themselves!)

It's always been a comfort to me that everything changes- bad times don't stay bad forever, and good times are to be enjoyed more because of it! Hang in there. Yup, got all deep on ya 1 sentence after joking about dog farts! Well, that's who I am, I guess!

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 5:07pm

thanks lauren

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #15 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 9:17am

You're welcome! Hope this keeps your headaches manageable for you, fingers crossed!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!