Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Melatonin (Read 937 times)
Just another dad
CH.com Newbie

Alberta, Canada
Melatonin
Oct 15th, 2010 at 2:18pm

Picked some up along with some Red Bull. Has anyone had side effects from the melatonin. Do you's take it as a preventative even when not in a cycle? Should I start taking it right away? Is it going to kick start something? Advice Please.

Clusterheadaches.com and OUCH have been a blessing to me. Thank you everyone for helping me find a neuro whose name I was able to find as a result of these two sites.

IP Logged

mikstudie
CH.com Old Timer

Beastmaster

Westland Mi.
Re: Melatonin
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2010 at 2:33pm

I took Melatonin for the first time in my life(thanks to this family) 10mg 1 hour before bed about 35 days ago and have not had a headache in 33 days (not a bad headache) The only thing it did was the first couple weeks gave me some wild vivid dreams (and that was not all bad Cheesy) I take it everynite and will probably for the rest of my life or at least till it stops working.

For light hits I chug a 12oz Red Bull and walk around the neighborhood,also chain smoke a couple cigs. By the time I smoke my second cig WHAM no more headache.Im not telling you to smoke but try the Bull.I get maybe a couple light hits per week and can now enjoy a few beers with the boys a couple times a week. Oh give the Melatonin a few days or so to start working.

Seratonin and Melatonin are chemicals our brains release at different times of day. A lack of Melatonin (as best as I understand) is a trigger for CH"s. I was a night hitter but after the Melatonin im a no hitter.I have had NO side effects..
Good Luck!!

PS: After my Bull I sometimes drink a couple cups of coffee while walking in the fresh air.
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2010 at 2:41pm by mikstudie »  

IT'S JUST A HEADACHE,TAKE TWO ASPRIN AND GO TO BED!!!

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2010 at 4:04pm

Take it before bed, you may have to play with the doseage to get it right, but if it works for you, you won't have nearly as many night hits or none at all.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 1:39am

I'm one of the weird ones that can't use it.  I couldn't wake up the next day, just groggy all day long.  I don't get REM hits though, so I just stay up till I know I'm done with them for the night. 

Definitely give it a try.  It works well for many here.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 7:21am

Check out Joe's thread for ideas about amount and side effects. lance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!