Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oxygen Tanks (Read 4067 times)
Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Oxygen Tanks
Oct 13th, 2010 at 3:28pm

Been thinking on and off about folks who can't find O2 without a prescription. Maybe it's just Texas, but I have two welding stores within 5 minutes of our house that I was just able to waltz into and buy a tank, so I had no problem. And considering the relief it brought my husband it seems criminal to deny anyone the right to get the same if they have weighed the risks and make the decision to do so. (I am agreeing to disagree with Bob Johnson on that count- though I hold him in the highest esteem)

SO- maybe welding stores won't sell a tank, it got me thinking: who would? And I focused on urban settings. SO after some brainstorming I hit on 2 possible sources. Aquarium and pond supply places: people take aquarium fish VERY seriously, and there are pure O2 systems for backup aeration and other applications. And second- serious anglers use pure O2 tanks to aerate bait tanks on boats. Bingo- doing a google search on that one and I found one that listed local sources all over the US and the world (looks like E, D, and something smaller with the CGA 540 valves) range in price from $109 to $129.

I am hazarding a guess on this, but from what I read on that site, this site, and personal experience once you OWN a tank the welding places will probably refill it for you without much hassle.

I'm also guessing it's easier to pass yourself off as a serious fisherman than a welder. Dig?

Now, I'm not saying DO it, I'm just saying... um, yeah, I'm saying do it.

I looked and looked, and I couldn't find anything saying I couldn't say where I had found those oxygen tanks, but I don't want to get myself in trouble either. If I get an OK from a moderator I'll do so. But really, I just Googled Pure O2 Fishing Bait and spent 5 minutes digging around.

Never, never, never give up.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Oxygen Tanks
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 3:32pm

I've kept buckets of minnows alive for days bubbling pure O2 in their H2O at 0.5 lpm.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 3:45pm

Just regular old Montana air with a minnow pump works just fine.
   I recommend LEASING the oxygen tank.  If the tank needs anything it's on their dime.

Potter

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 3:53pm

Like lures for freshwater myself, but an aerator for the shrimp bucket works nicely for us for saltwater. Ah, sitting on jetty with the hubby, fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other...I wonder if it's fishing I like so much or the excuse to drink in different and scenic locales...

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 4:14pm

Oh and Potter, I agree, renting is the way to go if you can do it. I was just thinking about the person who couldn't get a tank from various welder supplies in (I believe) New York City and then started to try to find a way around the problem.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 4:17pm

There's a reason they call it "fishing" and not "catching."

Of course, the wench then goes out and proves me wrong last week. 22" bass:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 4:32pm

Brew:

I bass all the time.

Wifey:

but I actually catch'em

Wink

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 6:36pm

Wifey? WIFEY?

Kevin, I think you better start headin' for the hills right now. Before the wench gets wind of this (it's akin to "the wife," and too much like a mere possession, like "the car," "the lamp," "the dog.")

I'm just tryin' to look out for your best interests, brutha. Go NOW. Grin

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 6:36pm

Oh, and like I told some friends the other day, I'm the bass player, she's the bass slayer.

IP Logged

his wife
CH.com Old Timer

The sweetest sound is
my children's laughter

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 8:09pm

Brew wrote on Oct 13th, 2010 at 4:17pm:
Of course, the wench then goes out and proves me wrong last week. 22" bass:

Ahh, a girl after my own heart...love it when we kill the men fishing!   Tongue  Actually hubby thinks it's pretty cool too.

Oh and btw, Kevin, don't sweat the "wifey" remark.  You'll notice what my screen name is.  I'm proud to call myself "his wife"   Wink   ALTHOUGH  , Brew would know better than me.
Beats the heck outta "his ole lady"  Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2010 at 8:20pm by his wife »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 9:15pm

"My wife" vs. "the wife."

BIG
difference.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #11 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 9:35pm

his wife wrote on Oct 13th, 2010 at 8:09pm:
Ahh, a girl after my own heart...love it when we kill the men fishing!   Tongue  Actually hubby thinks it's pretty cool too.

Just like my better half. Once when out fishing I put my rod down and she decided to try it out and within minutes had caught a huge snapper on it.

And another time she was catching them that fast that I hardly got chance to fish myself as I was busy taking the fish off her hook and rebaiting it.

IP Logged

his wife
CH.com Old Timer

The sweetest sound is
my children's laughter

Reply #12 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 10:06pm

Brew wrote on Oct 13th, 2010 at 9:15pm:

BIG
difference.

hmmmm....good point lol

Mike...sounds like you got a "keeper"   Wink

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 11:20pm

his wife wrote on Oct 13th, 2010 at 10:06pm:
Brew wrote on Oct 13th, 2010 at 9:15pm:

BIG
difference.

hmmmm....good point lol

Mike...sounds like you got a "keeper"   Wink

I certainly do!  Smiley

Anyway, I'm outvoted by the two cats who also think she is a keeper too, lol.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 11:47pm

Quote:
WIFEY?

Gotcha. 

I've used, "the girl" here, but only get away with it because she's not going to see it, otherwise I'd begin the entity "purseholder boy."  Um, yes, different from "my guy."

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #15 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 6:56am

And of course, with no malicious intent, and all in good fun.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #16 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 7:56am

Certainly, love the smile of that spunky kick getting one over, the jughead.    Wink

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #17 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 9:02am

You guys sure took that and ran with it, huh? to funny.

I started thinking of alternative sources for O2 from a post I read, now that I think of it it MIGHT have been on CB, but it was about someone, I believe in New York City, who had called around and couldn't get a tank. Wow, how do you like that? "believe I read it, not sure by who, not sure where, pretty sure as to the content..." Hell, with a nebulous source like that maybe I'm making it up- not saying it didn't happen!

But also, I guess, from all the folks who wait and fight for a prescription for O2, I guess I was just assuming they couldn't get welder's O2. To us, it was SO easy and fast (within 4 HOURS of my original post I'd printed out Marc's info on regulators, gone to a welding supply place, and had a tank ready for Lucas's next hit), I just don't want to think of anyone who really needed O2 and couldn't get it.

(disclaimer:notthatI'msayingdoitoranything)

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #18 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 10:21am

I bought a big tank and a small one this year.  When they are empty, I take 'em in and they give me full one's at 30.00 a pop.  Lemon peazee.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #19 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 12:51pm

Don't know why people are timid about it, but I'm sure you're right. Seems the risks would make it pretty clear:

Risk from Contaminated Medical O2- hmmm, that smells funny, better stop...

Risk from Contaminated Welding O2- KERBLAM!

So Welding O2 HAS to be pure- they mix it and light it on fire for goodness sake! No room for error there!

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #20 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 1:36pm

Actually, inferior welds would be the most likely byproduct of contaminated welding O2.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #21 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 1:58pm

I won't push it anymore. Not saying to do it. Just putting it out there.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #22 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 4:36pm

Personally speaking, short on thread-pertaining innovative know-how and pretty assured of dependence on those that are, important ideas can keep informatively on track.  So ...

Lauren17 wrote on Oct 14th, 2010 at 9:02am:
You guys sure took that and ran with it, huh?

an instance of account relating somewhat off-handed to another important matter:

In late 1942, on the day before the Allied invasion of North Africa, Churchill revealed with barely suppressed excitement to his daughter Sarah, "At this very moment, sliding stealthily through the Straights of Gibralter under cover of darkness, go 542 ships for a landing in North Africa.

Not exactly, said Sarah, "It's 543."

Churchill, pausing stone-faced, stared and asked, "How do you know?"

"I've only been working on it for three months."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I believe there is such a thing as security."

Ahem, her Dad, Prime Minister and Defense Minister, three months.

Kinda proudly, yes, he can chuckle.  Dinner that night at Chequers, he enjoyed telling the story with relish of her one-upmanship.

Wink

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2010 at 4:49pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #23 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 4:56pm

Hmmm, that sounds like a breach of security to me, there...

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #24 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 5:35pm

No secret to his dinner guests by that time. The French were notified before arrival -- a question of pre-landing combat.

Sarah was an analyst of reconnaissance photos in Berkshire, a top secret post, very good at it, although Winston was too busy for details of her trusted job duties, which she made sure was accurately provided at top level meetings.  Info he relied on came from there.  Shared info from Dad was of no surprise to either, her leadership there was, though.

She was long intimate with FDR's extreme trustee in London and a visiting Eleanor's most confidently trusted, ambasssador John Gilbert Winant.  Questioning a breach by Sarah would be a red herring on a pink elephant.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2010 at 5:47pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!