Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First pred taper-no HA also no sleep (Read 1553 times)
retrovertigo
CH.com Junior

If I'm here I'm likely
in cycle

x0|storrs|USA||0|0|CT,Connecticut
First pred taper-no HA also no sleep
Oct 7th, 2010 at 8:17am

Hi all. Not new to this board but it's been awhile. 2.5 years since my last cycle. Not bad. Living a healthier lifestyle and trying to do prevent busting. But again, when the cycle comes back the time off seems irrelevant. Had good results with nasal spray to start, but they let me down when things really ramped up. Also ran out and the ins. co. decided I'd had enough without going back to the doctor. So this time he wants me to try a quick 60-40-20 pred taper.

Last night was the first night and I didn't get my usual bedtime HA, but I could not sleep at all. My thought train was racing. At this point I almost need sleep more than I need to get rid of the HA. Since the typical bedtime HAs have reduced me to a couple hours of sleep at best for over two weeks now. Even if I can abort the monster,I am left with sleep disturbing shadows and a very upset stomach from the triptans. Also, I now vomit every time it gets bad. I think it might be psychosomatic, but it happens now consistently.

So now I feel like a zombie. I can't take any more time off from work since I have already fallen way behind. And if I don't keep myself busy during the day I will nap and be guaranteed to get another HA. But the quality of my work is really suffering as i trudge through every day feeling like I have the worst hangover of my life. Then I can't sleep because I'm so stressed about trying to get caught up on work.

Does anyone else feel that prednisone adversely effects their sleep?

Why?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: First pred taper-no HA also no sleep
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 8:30am

Prednisone at levels as high as 80 mg a day made me edgy, but never prevented me from sleeping. Have you tried any of the more popular prevents? Lithium at 1200 mg a day will block about 60% of my attacks. For years it'd block 70-80% but the beast has worn it down a bit. Verapamil is a common first line prevent and Topomax has a loyal following.

Have you tried oxygen yet? It's almost eliminated my use of imitrex. I can abort in as little as 6-8 minutes, with no side effects. And it's cheap too!

Hoping the pred taper busts the cycle for you. If it doesn't, please read the oxygen info link on the left and consider giving it a shot.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

retrovertigo
CH.com Junior

If I'm here I'm likely
in cycle

x0|storrs|USA||0|0|CT,Connecticut
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 6:31pm

I'd definitely like to try O2, but doc says ins. co. makes it very difficult to prescribe. So i'd be on my own and I have been my own worst enemy in that department. I am not proactive enough when out of cycle. I didn't stock up and horde the imitrex nasal, I didn't line up an o2 supply. I fool myself into feeling like preparing for the next cycle will guarantee I'll get one. And that not preparing is somehow akin to keeping a positive attitude that maybe I can kick this for good.

Did I read somewhere on this board that you (Joe) are an avid mountain biker? How's the riding in san diego? Most people have no idea that connecticut has a bunch of world class mountain biking areas.

Why?

IP Logged

dkfreese
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 12:22am

The last two pred bursts I did the neuro prescribed sleeping pills (Ambien I believe) and another scrip (Prevacid maybe) to protect the stomach.  It worked well for me.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2010 at 8:41am

Quote:
I fool myself into feeling like preparing for the next cycle will guarantee I'll get one. And that not preparing is somehow akin to keeping a positive attitude that maybe I can kick this for good.

Have you stopped "fooling yourself?" Being prepared always is the best line of defense. And I don't mean to be callous, but if you have insurance, but your doc doesn't want to prescribe O2, get another doc. Or get welding O2 as has been suggested. BUT....read the O2 link on the proper use and equipment. God bless! lance

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2010 at 10:42pm

What Wimsey said about getting welding O2 if necessary.

Also imitrex injections are the most effective form, and this tip helps mightily with stretching the doses: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Prednisone. Dangerous, risky stuff to be sure. Someone close to me who is biploar was given prednisone and didn't sleep for a long while afterwards.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2010 at 11:54pm

Far too many Doctors will make these type comments when they lack the knowledge of how to, never have, or have some misunderstanding about O2 use for CH. You can either educate this Doctor or ask to see someone who will Rx O2. Please read the following link about O2 use for CH.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Best of luck,   Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!