Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need Advise (Read 1269 times)
Bud
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

New Lowell, Ontario, Canada
Need Advise
Oct 5th, 2010 at 5:37pm

Hi All

New cycle started 2 weeks ago. Thought I had a few weeks to prepare but attacks are getting more frequent and mostly at night. Shadowing most of the day. Still using a small 3 LPM O2 system but it works great. Don’t know if it’s because I’m just starting a new cycle and they are still weak. Not taking any chances, I use Otrivin nasal spray to clear any nasal congestion I may have before I put the nose prongs in. At the first sign of an attack this works and the beast runs away. (The first time it worked I extended my 2 middle fingers to him on my way back to bed). I have a system (as per the Oxygen info here) on the way but don’t know if I should change. Does the current system work because they are not full fledged yet and is the change in systems going to work? I know from experience they are gong to get more frequent and last longer but I can’t tell at this point what is happening, because I can abort with the O2. Don’t want to stop the O2 to find out. So my question is this, if a low flow rate is working and I switch to a high flow rate will the results change? If I don’t change and the attacks are weak now and get stronger will I suffer? I was told by ProResp that if you use a high flow regulator you can’t lower the flow less than 10 LPM and won’t be able to use the nose prongs. I am thinking that the new system should be better in any case and it can only work better. But I also always say don’t fix something that is not broke.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.
Bud
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2010 at 7:02pm by Bud »  

The Beast takes advantage of us when we are vulnerable, picks on the unprepared. But when you fight back, he runs away with his tail between his legs. He truly is a coward.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: Need Advise
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 7:02pm

Buy a mask.

Potter

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 8:38pm

I think it would be a really good idea to have a high flow/non rebreather system there on standby, ready in case you need it.

For the first week of my more recent episodes I have gotten away with weaker aborting methods such as lower flow O2, but as things intensify I find myself having to huff at 45 LPM to get relief.

I did have an episode or two in the early years (like 25 years ago) where 10 LPM actually consistently worked for me.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 9:42pm

My guess is if I ever used a regulator I'd get away with a 10 LPM flow rate. I exhale completely, inhale as full as I can on the 02, and hold it for 30 seconds to a minute, then repeat. I use a demand valve so I don't know what that would equate to on a flow rate, but suspect based on total volume it would be low.

So you can stay with a low flow rate for now if it works, but as potter mentioned, get a Non re breather mask rather then the canulas so you know your lungs are just getting 02. And better to score a high flow set up and have it on hand, then to get slammed with a high K and have no relief.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 12:19am

Bud wrote on Oct 5th, 2010 at 5:37pm:
I was told by ProResp that if you use a high flow regulator you can’t lower the flow less than 10 LPM and won’t be able to use the nose prongs.

This will very much depend on the regulator. I've got one that will go up to 25lpm and I can select lower rates from 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 15, 25.

This is a regulator from BOC here in NZ, but I suspect they are just using a standard one with their own branding on it.

And I'd skip using the nose prongs and grab a non-rebreather mask as the others have said.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 8:03am

I'm the kinda guy who likes to have options and fallbacks. So even if the canula and low flow rate are working now, it wouldn't hurt to have another option. You've been given great advice, I suggest you arm yourself with some new stuff. And that thing about the regulator-was he saying it starts at 10lpm? Why wouldn't it go lower? I've not seen one like that myself, but....anyway, best wishes and prayers for pf days and nights! lance

IP Logged

Bud
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

New Lowell, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 9:06am

Thanks all for the good advise, the Royal ProResp person is coming tonight, so I'l just see what she has for me and go from there, your advise will help me in my decision.

Hey Potter, I am retired Military myself, I take orders very well, going to get the mask. READY AYE READY

Thanks again
Bud

The Beast takes advantage of us when we are vulnerable, picks on the unprepared. But when you fight back, he runs away with his tail between his legs. He truly is a coward.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!