Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I thought we were alone for 9 years!! Thank YOU!!! (Read 3933 times)
Sandy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

I thought we were alone for 9 years!! Thank YOU!!!
Oct 5th, 2010 at 1:57pm

Hi There! My name is Sandy Coleman. I'm a 35 year old happily married (15 years and counting),mother of two boys.

My husband was "diagnosed" with sinus headaches 9 years ago.  It seems like every Spring and Fall, the same thing.  Vicodin and anti-biotics.....No relief, but it seemed to go away around the same time that the anti-biotic would have started working. So, we never thought to question the doctor.

This time, it's really bad.  We are on our 6th week straight.  Yesterday he told me. "Thank God we dont have a gun, because I would have blew my head off last night."  How do I respond to that?  I feel helpless.
I decided to Google "migraines" to see what I could find.  It didn't seem to match him.  I got to the bottom of the page, and it had a link for "Other Headaches".  I went through a few with no luck.  And there it was....I clicked on "Cluster".  The very first line...."...also know as the "Suicide Headache"..."  Below that, were the signs and symptoms listed, word for word, of what my husband has been going through for the past 9 years.  Not just a couple, but EVERYTHING!!!!  I ran down the hall to tell my husband, (who was soaking his head in cold water in the bathroom sink).  As I read it, he nodded.  Episodic Clusters is what he has. We've finally found answers!!...And a "Support Group" tooo!!!

I wonder how many more have been misdiagnosed. That are suffering like this, and think they are alone as we did.

My husband has been my rock for as long as I care to remember.  He has always been strong willed, determined, confident, athletic, a fantastic father and husband.  I have never seen such a person, as him, be brought to his knees and beat down as much as these headaches do.

Right now, we are both layed off work and have no insurance.  So I am looking for "Home remidies".  We tried melatonin and naproxine last night.  He only got about 1 1/2 hours of sleep.  I think it was peaking around 2am.  That's when he woke me up because he was scared.  I rubbed his back and head while he cried and rocked back and forth.  He says, "I don't know how more of this I can take."  I feel helpless.  There is nothing I can do, but let him know that I'm here for him.  He is exhausted.  I wish I could take the pain on myself, if for nothing else than to just give him a break and some quality sleep before he goes completely insane.

I'm sorry that there are so many sufferers of this, but at the same time, I thank all of you for not letting us be alone.  At least now, there is some hope. 9 years has been a long time to not know what the heck is going on.

He's napping right now, so I better get some housework done.  He'll be up again shortly.  Gotta get prepared for what's coming tonight.  Cry

Thank for being here!!!

Sandy Coleman

<b>You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. ~Robin Williams<b/>

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Re: I thought we were alone for 9 years!! Thank YOU!!!
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 2:10pm

We are here for you- I know what a relief it is to not be alone with this! I too am a supporter, so we're here for you too. Be strong and let us know whatever you need!

Please search this site for the following: Melatonin, Welders Oxygen, and Red Bull. The regulars around here have FANTASTIC info- Marc, Joe, and others helped me get set up with an O2 set up for the husband that I could get without a prescription. I don't know how to forward the info Marc sent me in PM (not even sure exactly what that is) but if he doesn't chime in I'll try to figure it out.

Real quick, have him chug a Red Bull at the first sign of a headache or shadow, the Taurine in them helps. Amazing that a $1 drink could stave off such torture, but it's true.

Also, napping is kinda a no no, it's a trigger for many people here.

Never, never, never give up.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 2:32pm

Your druggist can give you leads on low/no cost abortives for CH. Others here will chime in, too.

My bias is to hit CH hard with the best abortives you can obtain since we have the best information on effectiveness, safety, etc. on them.

While I believe you will be able to obtain Imitrex injection (gold standard) at reduced cost ask about Zomig nasal spray prices. Good track record.

A third option is favored by a number of us because its per dose cost is very good compared to the triptan family and quite effective. Info.....

Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
=======
See the PDF file, below for your overall learning and guidance....
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2010 at 3:39pm by Bob Johnson »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (144 KB | 27 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Sandy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 2:54pm

Thank you so much!

Napping is a trigger for him too. But he is so exhausted, he just kindof passes out.

His dad is on O2, so I'm gonna see about borrowing one of his portables.  (I'm a paramedic, this stuff would be so much easier to come by if I was working.....)  Thanks for the Red Bull tip.  I'll be headed to the store here shortly.  If it works, I'll buy them all!!!

Even though we don't have insurance, I think I'll print all of this info I've found, and take it to his doctor.  I don't blame the Dr for not catching it.  From the way it looks, it's very uncommon, and we live in a small town in North Carolina.  His Doctor is the type that he will research it and be ready to help.  He knows my hubby isn't a "Drug Seeker", because other than these headaches, he has to be half dead with pneumonia or something before he will go. He had been prescribing vicodin 500mg and would give 50 at a time with 5 refils....lol.

I just figured this out yesterday, so I've been sitting at this computer, taking in all this new info.  I'm still in awe that there are others, and that there is an actual medical term.  Knowing is a relief, but knowing isn't going to make them stop, unfortunatly.

N-SAIDs seem to help some. (Ibuprofin, naproxine...etc.). But he has taken so many, that I worry about his liver.  Now we have other options, thank goodness!

He has said over the years that these things were gonna kill him.  His cousin died of a brain cancer 3 months ago at the same age he is. (40)  So when they came back this time, there was a whole new fear for him.....So on top of the headaches, he was having anxiety attacks too.

Good news honey!!!  It's not cancer!!!  So it looks like we might make it to "the sitting in rocking chairs on the front porch, watching the grandkids" age after all!!!

I wish they knew the cause.  A cure would be even better.

<b>You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. ~Robin Williams<b/>

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 3:11pm

Make sure you have a nonrebreathing mask for him and a good high flow rate 12lpm seems to be the minimum, most advocate 25lpm. My husband uses a welding regulator and welding o2 tank with an adapter to run the hose from the mask to that regulator. That regulator measures in psi, but that really doesn't matter- he just turns it up enough to keep his bag on the mask inflated. Also, 5 minutes of hyperventilating and then 10 minutes regular breathing seems to work for many, including my husband.

Again, we're newbies ourselves, but the experts here are a wealth of information!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 3:46pm

Print out the PDF file I sent you for your doc; also this one:

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[Easy to read; one of the better overview articles I've seen. Suggest printing the full length article--link, line above--if you are serious about keeping a good medical library on the subject.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed]
======
If he wants deeper material:

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $50 at Amazon.Com.  It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book....")

And give him this web site. One of  the better headache docs in the Chicago area.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Best wishes,

Bob
(ex-Rutherford Cty boy)
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2010 at 3:50pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 4:58pm

Here are a few other over the counter helpers:

4-Way Nasal spray or Dristan 12 Hour Nasal Spray helps with the annoying congestion.  ** Note ** Do not use this more than 3 days in a row!!  It can cause severe sinus problems.

Taurine and Caffeine drinks (RedBull if you like it) to help prevent a hit when you feel one starting.

Melatonin or an Allergy pill at night before bed to help avoid night time hits.

The herb Kudzu has helped a few as a prevent.   

Deep breathing through the milder hits can help too.

Hot/Cold Compresses Depending on your preference can help as well.

When you can check into your local county medical Access plans you both may qualify.  If you do and get on it make sure your hubby starts a headache journal (may be a good idea to start one now.)  Here is what you will need in it to show the Doctor :

Date:     
Time of Day of CH hit:   
On pain Scale 1-10: 10 being highest what is your pain at?
Duration of Headache:
Symptoms that come with your Headache:
What, if anything you tried to get rid of HA:

You can make up your own HA Journal and if you get more than one in a day use 1 piece of paper/page per day, or you can use MS Excel for this.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 7:02pm

hello Sandy

All of the above and definitely try the energy drinks if your hubby doesn't like red bull there are many others to try , I personally use red bull because it's the only one that's sparkling and not full on fizzy so I can drink it quicker ( quicker the better ) also most of the others have artificial sweeteners in , which really don't agree with me.

And just because no one has mentioned it yet have a look at cluster busters site ( link to the left <<<< ) thay are haveing some fantastic results with an alternative treatment (not entierly leagle cos the authoritys have deamed these drugs to be medicly non benificial , I think every one over at clusterbusters would strongly dissagree ) if you can go that way.

You have found the best place in the world for knolage and advice, the people here will help change the game for you and your husband and help get your lives back. Feel free to ask as many Questions as you like, come for a chat or even a rant if thats what you need and theres even a special borad for supporters to chat.

Good luck and God bless

Nigel

ps sorry if this is all mis-spelt , the spell cheker dosn't seem to be working and I can't spell to save my life.

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 9:47pm

Welcome to the board Sandy, like your lucky husband, my wife found this board for me many years ago, or I'd still be popping Fiorinal and going for 30 minute sprints!!

Nothing I can add to the excellent advice you've been given. Anything Johnson tells you to print out is gold, the latest and greatest on CH treatments. I will second the oxygen suggestion, 32 years of CH and NOTHING holds a candle for ease of use, no side effects, and rapid aborts.  Smiley for being a supporter, you guys keep us going.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Sandy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 12:04am

Thank you all so very much!!! 

It's almost midnight here.  Hubby says he can feel the little sucker just sitting there, right behind his right eye......Like it's waiting for him to close his eyes, so it can morph into the demon that wakes him up,by sinking its teeth into his brain.
Tonight, he has taken 5mg of melatonin and one aleve.  We have a Red Bull at the ready.....  And the coffee pot is ready. I have a question about the Red Bull though.  Does he chug now, since he can feel it, or does he wait to slam it when it wakes him up?  I'm guessing the latter.  Seems like that would make more sense. An aborter? (Trying to use the new terms I've learned. Wink)

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 8:10am

Hey Sandy, welcome, and keep up the good work. Our supporters are vital to our welfare and well being. When the pain hits so bad, we often are unable to act in our own best interests.

As to your question: a common mistake is assuming a "shadow" or "phantom" hit isn't a CH. It is. Treat it like a full blown hit and make it go away. Chug the drink as soon as the shadow comes or it can easily pick up steam and become something bigger. Blessings! lance

IP Logged

Sandy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 8:23am

I posted in another forum last night, while I stayed up all night to monitor our new found melatonin and Red Bull.

I'm proud to report, that after pinging at a 10 at 2am for the past 2 nights.......last night was AWESOME!!!!  My hubby is so happy!! He is layed out on the couch playing beautiful music for my ears....."Snoooooorrrrrreeee!"   By George, I think we're on to something here.

You GUYS FREAKIN ROCK!!!!!!!! Grin

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 9:21am

That's wonderful news. Hope it's the beginning of some pain free time for him!

Joe

IP Logged

Sandy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 10:23pm

Last night was great, but about 9am, 30 minutes after I posted, all hell broke loose.  That wonderful snoring I was hearing was a BIG NO-NO!!!  I've never seen him have one THAT intense in the day time before, and it was a scary one.  It went from "Shadow", to a full blow 10, in what seemed like seconds.  The whole thing may have lasted 30 minutes, but it seemed like an eternity.  (I need to keep a notebook around and start writing it all down.)  He was in full blown agony, (The "I could shoot myself right now, and not think twice" stage), for at least 10 minutes.
I'm trying to convence him to get on here and talk to all you wonderful people.  We don't have a diagnosis yet, but I'm sure (100%), that I have found the answers.

He described to me, the best he could, how it felt today.  He said that it's like, "A balloon with jagged edges, that starts to expand and push out.  Starting with the front.  It feels like it expands, and wants to push my right eye out of it socket.  My eye could explode at any time, and it would probably feel good.  While it is still strong and ripping and puching outward in the front, it expands to the back.  Like it wants to literally, break out of my skull.  Once it reaches the back....I know that it's almost over."
Dr has always said "Sinus Headache"..... It made sense.  His headaches always seemed to start at the same time my allergies flaired up. (Spring and fall)  He has a deviated septum from all the years of martial arts, and broken noses.  At one point they did an MRI and found black spots. They said that he had, (I forget the technical term), parisites. (Worms in the brain.....)  What they diagnosed, is even rarer than cluster headaches.  We found out (from his mother)that when he was 12, he was knocked out, and he had the spots then.
I think I always skipped the info about "Clusters", because, the name just didn't seem to fit.  Which SOUNDS worse "Cluster", or "Migraine"?....and "Migraine" didn't even begin to cover it.
There needs to be more "Awareness".  But then again.....you put it out there....then all the drug seekers start piling into the ER.  (Trust me, I'm a paramedic....I know..lol)  It would be worth it, to reach those that are suffering alone.
Thanks everyone.  I'm going to go get the ammo ready, he fell asleep about 30 minutes ago.

Knocking on wood!

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #14 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 11:26pm

Sandy wrote on Oct 5th, 2010 at 2:54pm:
His dad is on O2, so I'm gonna see about borrowing one of his portables. 

Please go see his day and try him on oxygen. Read the info on the left about how to use it. This has been something that has transformed for so many of us how we deal with CHs.

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #15 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 8:35am

Keep us posted, here's hoping you guys had a painfree night!

I am so with you on that- the words cluster and headache sound so benign, right? Calling it a headache is like calling getting shot in the gut a stomachache!

My husband tried 9mg of melatonin last night, our first attempt with it, and had a breakthrough kip4 2 hours after falling asleep. So have hope, I've heard it can take some tweaking the dosage to get it right.

I will really suggest getting O2 for him. Heck, I even have a brand new non rebreathing mask if you want me to UPS it. I got one from the site here, so I have 2 extras of the ones I was able to find at a medical supply place in town. They arn't the best compared to the one they sell here, but they DO get the job done with some tweaking.

Here is my cost breakdown on the welding O2 set up we got:

M tank rental- $50 (I had a tank available to us, thankfully, but I asked when we got it filled) Should get about 15-30 aborts outta that size (4' tall, 70lbs)

Regulator- $75 at welding store. You can buy them cheaper online, but I didn't want to wait.

Adapter for output line- $6. The Output line on my regulator was one for about a quarter inch size screw on hose- had to get the adapter to minimize the size and so it would fit the push on small hose for the mask.

Nonrebreathing mask- $2 for what they call "disposable" ones, $27 for the one from the site here. The Cadilac of non-rebreathing masks!

Refill on tank- $14.

$10 in chain and hooks to attach our O2 tank to the wall next to the bed. That sucker is HEAVY and we have 2 little ones. (youngest daughter's nickname is Destructor if that gives you an idea!)

We luckily have insurance right now, but when husband first got diagnosed we didn't- yeah doc, thanks for the $180 Imitrex perscription we couldn't fill! We can get it now- but O2 is MORE effective MORE of the time than the expensive perscription is. It has been a real lifesaver.

Also, and maybe Joe can weigh in on this- but I believe he said vigorous exercise used to work for him as a abort. Doesn't work that way for my husband, but maybe worth a try...

IP Logged

LadyLuv
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Champaign, IL
Reply #16 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 10:03am

Welcome to the Family Sandy... Some one is here 24-7 willing to listen and/or offer advise

Peace & Blessings
LadyLuv

Ruthie Harper Ruthie Harper  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #17 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 1:02pm

I AM Joe...and I approved this message! Grin

Yes, vigorous exercise...I mean an all out sprint until you're ready to throw up kind of run for 20 minutes would abort ar at least substantially reduce the intensity of my hits. With oxygen I am fatter...but suffer far less! Wink

Joe

IP Logged

mikstudie
CH.com Old Timer

Beastmaster

Westland Mi.
Reply #18 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 1:38pm

I know it's easy to say but napping is a big no no for most here,gotta try to stick to your normal sleep patterns. I found for me that if I start messing with my biological clock the hits are worse and longer.aka, alarm clock headaches.

This is what works for me, im a night hitter 99% of the time so when the beast come calling at 10:30pm I chug a 12oz Red Bull grab another 12oz Bull,grab two cigs and go for a walk in the fresh air breathing deeply. my doctor told me I shouldn't smoke BUT if it works for a bad hit he'll forgive me.The smoking he says will restrick your blood vessels and that helps when your under attack.Im not telling anyone to smoke but I'll smoke a whole pack if it kills the beast.Beware smoking for some is a trigger.Iam a light smoker only 3 or 4 a day.

After finding this family, some told me to try the Melatonin and after a few days of getting it in my system i have been PF for about 27 days now..
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2010 at 1:42pm by mikstudie »  

IT'S JUST A HEADACHE,TAKE TWO ASPRIN AND GO TO BED!!!

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #19 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 1:43pm

Sandy wrote on Oct 6th, 2010 at 10:23pm:
Last night was great, but about 9am, 30 minutes after I posted, all hell broke loose.  That wonderful snoring I was hearing was a BIG NO-NO!!!  I've never seen him have one THAT intense in the day time before, and it was a scary one.  It went from "Shadow", to a full blow 10, in what seemed like seconds.  The whole thing may have lasted 30 minutes, but it seemed like an eternity.  (I need to keep a notebook around and start writing it all down.)  He was in full blown agony, (The "I could shoot myself right now, and not think twice" stage), for at least 10 minutes.
I'm trying to convence him to get on here and talk to all you wonderful people.  We don't have a diagnosis yet, but I'm sure (100%), that I have found the answers.

He described to me, the best he could, how it felt today.  He said that it's like, "A balloon with jagged edges, that starts to expand and push out.  Starting with the front.  It feels like it expands, and wants to push my right eye out of it socket.  My eye could explode at any time, and it would probably feel good.  While it is still strong and ripping and puching outward in the front, it expands to the back.  Like it wants to literally, break out of my skull.  Once it reaches the back....I know that it's almost over."
Dr has always said "Sinus Headache"..... It made sense.  His headaches always seemed to start at the same time my allergies flaired up. (Spring and fall)  He has a deviated septum from all the years of martial arts, and broken noses.  At one point they did an MRI and found black spots. They said that he had, (I forget the technical term), parisites. (Worms in the brain.....)  What they diagnosed, is even rarer than cluster headaches.  We found out (from his mother)that when he was 12, he was knocked out, and he had the spots then.
I think I always skipped the info about "Clusters", because, the name just didn't seem to fit.  Which SOUNDS worse "Cluster", or "Migraine"?....and "Migraine" didn't even begin to cover it.
There needs to be more "Awareness".  But then again.....you put it out there....then all the drug seekers start piling into the ER.  (Trust me, I'm a paramedic....I know..lol)  It would be worth it, to reach those that are suffering alone.
Thanks everyone.  I'm going to go get the ammo ready, he fell asleep about 30 minutes ago.

Knocking on wood!

Does he still have the brain worms?

Potter

IP Logged

Lauren17
CH.com Sponsor

Texas
Reply #20 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 2:45pm

See, the exercise trick might be worth a try, it's worked for multiple folks! It doesn't work for my husband, but it stuck out it my mind because I recalled Joe saying on another thread to take an ID if you're going to go sprinting through the neighborhood at night- I can ONLY imagine there is a good story behind that one!

How's he doing today?

IP Logged

mikstudie
CH.com Old Timer

Beastmaster

Westland Mi.
Reply #21 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 3:34pm

Sandy, tell you husband to look around here,i felt better just venting and talking to others that understand me. Cheesy  Tell him we only bite during a cluster period.

IT'S JUST A HEADACHE,TAKE TWO ASPRIN AND GO TO BED!!!

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #22 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 9:12pm

Sandy,

I only heard 1 person metion Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
You need to really look harder at this, it has saved me.

Im not kidding, It is great to know he has someone like you helping him, but you will not be doing him or you any justice by not paying attetion to this right away!!!
I will try to keep an eye on your post, but if you have any questions you can e-mail or pm me.

Coach bill
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2010 at 9:17pm by coach_bill »  

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #23 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 9:37am

Sandy,

I am also a Sandy, and I also live in a small town in North Carolina - Jamestown, between Greensboro and High Point.  Your last name begins with C, so does mine, Cullen.  What a nice coincidence. 

Hi neighbor!  Let's get together for some coffee and a chat. 

Welcome home.  You have found a new family here.  I found this family in 1999 and they have given me so much more information on CH than any doctor in the world could give.

Keep in mind though, we are all slightly crazy, but what family isn't Roll Eyes

We will do all we can to give you what we have learned over the years.  We are not doctors, but we certainly have a combined wealth of knowledge and experience that we are willing to share with you if it will help.

I am also sending you a PM.

I hope we live close - I would love to meet you.

Sandy

PS - we gotta work on our signatures together so everyone else will know which Sandy they are talking to  Grin

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

Sandy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #24 - Oct 9th, 2010 at 12:20pm

The past two days have been good.  Not PF but, much, much better, thanks to the meletonin, and Red Bull.  Still not sleeping good, but better than he was.
(I was too tired to get on here yesterday, after being up til 4am, then going on a field trip to the zoo with a bunch of 7th graders....I would have given my right arm for a xanax....but that's another story....lol.)
He found out the hard way, last night, that alcohol is a trigger.  I told him not to do it, but nobody ever listens to mama!!!  By the time he finished one drink, there it was.  It wasn't as intense, but lasted twice as long as usual.

What is the highest meletonin dose that anyone has used? I'm thinking that maybe uping him to 15mg would be more helpful.

Potter,
I'm pretty sure that the worms were a misdianosis, since the same spots were there 30 years ago.

Coach Bill,
I have been over to clusterbusters.com, and poked around a little.  Trying to go with the, easier to obtain stuff for now.  I've mentioned it to him, and he says it's not an option for him. (He wasn't as much of an experimental teenager as I was...lol)  But, during some of these attacks, I could tell him that a piece of dog crap would help and he'd eat it without thinking twice.  So, I may have to call some old friends eventually.  Thanks for the tip.

Sandy Cullen,
That is so cool!  I live in Mocksville, so middle ground for us would probably be somewhere in Winston-Salem.  I'll send you a pm also, I haven't got to my messages yet.

You guys are all so wonderful!  So glad I found you!

Sandy Coleman Cool

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!