Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lyrica, has anybody tried this??? (Read 1761 times)
chiefmurph
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Lyrica, has anybody tried this???
Sep 29th, 2010 at 7:45pm

Just had my docs office give me some samples of this. Has anybody tried this. If so, can you tell me how you made out?
Thanks folks.
chiefmurph

IP Logged

his wife
CH.com Old Timer

The sweetest sound is
my children's laughter

Re: Lyrica, has anybody tried this???
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2010 at 8:34pm

From what I've read it's an anticonvulsant.  It would be in the same family of medicine as Depakote, which some docs have prescribed for CH.  Depakote did not work for my CH husband.  Hope this works for you.  In the meantime, check out O2 therapy.  There are many experts on this site who can help you with that.  Trust me, it's a lifesaver.  Blessings to you.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2010 at 9:36pm

I took Lyrica during my '07 & '08 cycles. It seemed to reduce the number of hits but no magic bullet. The cycle I just came out of in July I didn't use it.

O2 is my abortive of choice at high flow, 15 to 60lpm. I just bought a demand valve for my next high cycle. My cycles last 6 months, I use the O2, Lithium, Verapamil, and DHE IM self injections.

Best of luck,  Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2010 at 9:51pm

I don't get clusters; I merely report on my son Michael, who does. I do take Lyrica, however. I use it for the peripheral neuropathy in my feet generated by a collapsed disc in my sacral spine. It alters the perceived feeling from that of standing barefoot in the snow to a numb tingling. It also robs me of intellect, memory and vocabulary. That's the trade-off. I wouldn't take it if I didn't have to. I'd be surprised if it did much good for cluster headaches.

Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps.
  -Blake

IP Logged

burnt-toast
CH.com Hall of Famer

economy|USA|PA
Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 5:20am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - will provide complete/detailed information regarding Lyrica and just about any other prescription med you can name.

Your Neuro. is most likely conducting an off-label trial.  Or in simple terms - there's no formal clinical trials to back up Lyrica's use in the treatment of CH but since nothing else seems to work we'll give it a shot.

burnt-toast
(Tom)

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 6:38am

This is the only item I found which gives an overview of the medical literature on this question.

Suggest you print out and give to your doc. He will be able to get the full article and appreciate the technical data which I have deleted.
==========

Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009 Jul 8;(3):CD007076.
Pregabalin for acute and chronic pain in adults.

Moore RA, Straube S, Wiffen PJ, Derry S, McQuay HJ.

Pain Research and Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, University of Oxford, West Wing (Level 6), John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, Oxfordshire, UK, OX3 9DU.

BACKGROUND: Antiepileptic drugs have been used in pain management since the 1960s. Pregabalin is a recently developed antiepileptic drug also used in management of chronic neuropathic pain conditions. OBJECTIVES: To assess analgesic efficacy and associated adverse events of pregabalin in acute and chronic pain.

[edited for length. Technical data deleted. --BJ]

THERE IS NO EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THE USE OF PREGABALIN IN ACUTE PAIN SCENARIOS.

PMID: 19588419
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2010 at 6:40am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 8:55am

I tried using GABA supplements for awhile-not only didn't help, but seemed to make things worse. Isn't Lyrica related to Neurontin? Neurontin didn't work for me, either. lance

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2010 at 9:59pm

Ahh Neurontin is what my neuro has RXed for my next cycle...or at least gabapentin, I think that's the same thing.

oh well Ill try it and see

God bless

Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 7:14am

Nigel, my recurring theme is that we are better served by starting with the well established treatments rather than being the "field mice" on whom the "latest" treatment/med is tried.

After years of watching new meds come and go, represented as the latest fix for CH, I see a pattern:
a medical journal article presents a new find, a few months later folks are asking about it here and/or commenting on their doc starting it, and then the drop out reports start coming in.

Seems best to me to start with the established treatments and try the "latest" only when they have failed for us.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2010 at 10:15am

i ve tried neurontin with no good results in ch and lyrica later on with many bad side effects.
blanks in thought and oral speech.(being in half of a sentence and forgetting what was that you wanted to say can be pretty upsetting).
too much tired,sleepy and diziness too.coffee could hardly overcome it.
thats all i can remember....both drugs didn't have the sligthest effect on ch.

pf wishes

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

chiefmurph
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 3:54pm

Wow,
You folks work fast! Anyway, i think I'm going to drop the stuff like a bad habit. It definately did not work last night. That was one long night i might add.
   I think I'm going to try the melatonin again tonight. It worked for me last week the one night i took it.
  It is also true that you lose your train of thought while speakingwith the Lyrica . Yup, mid sentence all day today, forgot what I was trying to say. I work in a business setting and that would not be cool to happen during a meeting.
  Anyhoo, just wanted to say thank you to all you fine people.
  Oh and by the way, this morning was the first time my Girl Friend has seen me in the middle of a really good 8 on the kip scale. I think it surprised her to see it for the first time. She's only heard me try to explain it.
   She said she's going to keep me anyway.....
Adios folks,
chiefmurph

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 4:55pm

chiefmurph if you have already made up your mind to stop this med don't do it in a switch but reduce it slowly the way you increased it at first point(if thats the case of course cause at least this is how i did that treatment).
i did the mistake and stop it thoroughly and had some nasty kind of headache the following days.

or
even better just ask the neuros advise.
the spartan way.fewer words.aoo! Cheesy

pf wishes

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!