Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Introduction of a Veteran CH Suffer (Read 806 times)
NoLongerInDenial
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Introduction of a Veteran CH Suffer
Sep 23rd, 2010 at 11:18pm

Hello everyone!
First of all, I'd like to thank all those that have recently started posting stuff on the internet regarding these "monstors".  When I first got them the doc said they are very rare and most medical professionals fail to diagnose them.  There was nothing online useful for me either.  Now there's a lot of stuff. 
I started getting the Episodic CHs when I turned 28 years old.  I'm 38 now.  When I first started, I thought for sure that I had a tumor.  That's no joke!  I went to several ERs and clinics and I was told I had either migraines or I was just looking for pain killers for the high.  It wasn't until I saw a Neuro-doc.  She didn't even need to do any unusual tests because I got "lucky" (if that's what you want to call it) and had a CH right in front of her.  She noticed all the signs, gave me oxygen until it miraculously disappeared and sent me away with a good supply of sample sumatriptan, prescription for Nasal Spray Imitrex (I couldn't see injecting myself) and a diagnosis of Cluster Headaches.  She was very sympathetic but told me that they go away, or at least become less sever, as I get older.  I can attest to that.  My headaches have become less in number and seem to be getting less sever.  I am currently having an episode which is the reason I am here.  It is hard to get enough meds especially when you have more than 2 CHs a day/night.  It is just as hard to get prescribed oxygen therapy.  Thank goodness for me, not my mother, that she has to be on oxygen the rest of her life.  I get a "free" supply of oxygen when I need it for my CHs. 
Anyway, if it is of any consolation to the current young sufferer, I haven't found any evidence of anyone over the age of 50 suffering from these as intense as we do.  AND mine aren't as intense as they were when I was 28.  They still have me rocking and crying at time but not as bad or for as long.  I've also noticed that I don't get them every 2 hours when I sleep.  Right now I am getting them at 8:07am on the dot, around noon and occational threats in the evening.  Oxygen has been my savior the past couple of episodes.  IT WORKS!

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: Introduction of a Veteran CH Suffer
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 1:41am

Welcome to the forum, NLID.   Wink  Glad you've joined us.  I see that you're already using oxygen, and I'm pleased to hear it's working so well for you.

NoLongerInDenial wrote on Sep 23rd, 2010 at 11:18pm:

Anyway, if it is of any consolation to the current young sufferer, I haven't found any evidence of anyone over the age of 50 suffering from these as intense as we do. 

Well.....unfortunately.....   Undecided

They don't come around as frequently as they used to.  I will say that.

Best wishes,

George
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2010 at 1:45am by George »  

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 8:25am

I presume that you are using a preventive med? (See PDF file below.)

We talk age from time to time, re. ending CH. There have not been any good studies on the question but a kind of soft concensus that tapering down may start around 60-70s. But so much individual variation....

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (144 KB | 27 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 8:47am

i am pretty sure that wednesday past i was pretty young Tongue

welcome!

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 9:28am

Welocme to the board! So glad you have oxygen, when you get a sec, read the oxygen info tab on the left as slight changes in how we use 02 has substantially shortened abort times. Read the PDF file Bob posted, the latest and greatest in treatments.

Wishng you a short cycle. I just turned 50 and had my longest cycle ever! Although I agree they seemed to have decreased in intensity as I've aged.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!