Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi from a noob, but is it CH? (Read 800 times)
Fieldy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hi from a noob, but is it CH?
Sep 15th, 2010 at 1:27pm

Hi guys, I found the boards a while back and finally got the courage to post, lame I know.
Anywhoo, I found the boards by just typing in a description of my headaches, and after reading some of the posts on here - like I read somewhere that ibuprofen does not help a CH -I'm not sure what's wrong with me.
I started having these headaches when I was 19, 5 years ago, I was lifting weights in my room and felt fine, went to bed, woke up and had the worst headache on the left side of my head, my eye felt like it was being yanked out and it felt like I had a trapped nerve in my neck or frozen shoulder or something.
So I went to see a aromatherapist to see if she could work the pain out of my neck -It did nothing.
Went to see the doctors, they said it might be because I was taking to many analgesics, which I was taking because of the pain.
He referred me to a neurologist and I had a scan which came up with nothing.
Now im babbling  Roll Eyes

Anyway, I hadn't been to the doctors about the headaches for a few years until recently. I find I can relieve the pain with analgesics -and this is a reason I don't think I suffer from CH any more, or do I?!  Undecided
The doctor gave me  blood test, and it came back that I have an over-active thyroid, I don't know if this can be a reason for the headaches, after researching I haven't seen anyone make a link.

So I don't know what it is that's causing these headaches, I have the symptoms of a CH, pain on one side in the temple, the brow and the eye (the pain in the back and neck (I think?)), it comes and goes during the day.

they have been bearable for two years or so, but since I got back from University for the summer i've had one everyday Sad
and i'm just fed up now  Cry

So I'm finally posting on here, and hoping that someone could shed some light on this Smiley

Holy crap this post is longer than I thought, sorry guys.

BTW my names Tom and i'm from the Uk.

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Re: Hi from a noob, but is it CH?
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 6:29pm

Hi Tom

Have you tried the cluster quiz ( link to the left)

other than that may be you need to see your neurologist again . a clear scan is normal for ch they do them to rule out any thing more serious.

over the counter pain killers can work for mild attacks but they are usually too slow to be any help but just because you find thay do help doesn't mean they are not clusters. Try drinking a can of Red Bull or similar right at the start of an attack as quickly as you can it might just work better than pain killers.

there are many headache types that can mimic some of the symptoms of ch so seeing a neuro is important.

good luck and God bless

Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 6:34pm

Hello Tom. Sorry to hear you’re in pain. In my opinion you probably do not suffer cluster headaches. But, I’m not a doctor so don’t go by my word. Here’s why I think you do not suffer clusters…….you said they came on after lifting weights and later mentioned neck and back pain. Clusters may cause a little pain in the neck but not the back.You can relieve the pain with analgesics. Analgesics and/or pain killers don’t help with cluster pain. It sounds to me, again, only my opinion, like you have a pinched nerve.
Good news is you had a blood test and found an over-active thyroid. Not good you have that but good is was found. And you had a scan that found nothing. That’s what everybody hopes to find.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2010 at 10:42am by BobG »  

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 7:28am

I have to agree with Bob. Take the quiz as suggested, but follow up with your drs. Yes, CHs involve the trigeminal nerve but that usually sends sharp, ice pick pains running felt in the eye, the nose and/or the jaw. The feeling of a nerve being trapped does sound like a pinched nerve (which can hurt like crazy) but maybe not a CH. Still, if you want, try the OTC preventatives mentioned around here and see if they help. Just don't overdo any of them. Sometimes lifters have a tendency to go too far in any one session. Don't let that carry over to your medical needs, OK? Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 10:06pm

Hi Tom and welcome

Quote:
So I went to see a aromatherapist to see if she could work the pain out of my neck

How could aromatherapy possible help with pain in your neck???  Just asking.

Quote:
I read somewhere that ibuprofen does not help a CH

Quote:
I find I can relieve the pain with analgesics

If aspirin helps your headaches, then you do NOT have Cluster headaches.  I do not have to be a Doctor to know this is true.

I don't know if thyroid problems can cause headaches such as you describe but what did the doctor who took the blood test have to say to you?  I am curious now.  Please keep us updated Tom.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!