Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newb (Read 699 times)
DC
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Newb
Sep 15th, 2010 at 12:53pm

Hi,
I'm from Fresno Ca and have been suffering from Episodic CH's since I was a teen. Although it's a few weeks late this years episodes have begun and will stick around for 4-6 weeks of daily attacks.

Depending on the attach I've found that dunking my head in the bathroom sink filled with ice cold water will sometime numb the pain...other times it increases the pain.  Based on this sites pain scale my attacks tend to always be in the 8-10 scale. 

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Re: Newb
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 5:23pm

Hey DC, sorry to hear the beast is back for the annual visit.  Sad

You might wanna check out the oxygen info link to the left of this webpage - it outlines the newer, much more effective method of O2 use for aborting attacks.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 9:18am

Hey DC...we gotta get you out of the dark ages in CH treatment!!

Prevents, this is a med you take daily to reduce the number and intensity of your attacks. I use Lithium at 1200 mg a day, blocks 60-70% of my hits, Verapamil is the standard first round prevent, it's used at levels higher then most docs are used to, some as high as 960 mg a day, Topomax also has a loyal following.

Abortives, an attack starts, now what. Oxygen should be your first line abortive. I went from 90 minute rides to 6-10 minute aborts. Read the oxygen info link on the left and get set up with it. Won't take you long to see why we all swear by it!

Imitrex injectables and nasal spray, they're a double edged sword. They stop the attack in its tracks, but there is a growing belief that these meds increase lengths of cycles. No firm official studies, just personal experiences from other board members.

Energy Drinks. Rock Star, Red Bull, any containing the combo of caffeine and taurine. Chugged down at the first sign of an attack it will reduce or abort attacks for many.

From the sounds of your current regimen, I assume you're not seeing a headache doctor yet? There have been so many advances in the last few years it's certainly worth going in to see what they can do to help you. Riding out 8-10 level hits sounds like no fun.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 8:01am

I know writing to a new site, especially one that deals with such personal pain, can be daunting. But you've gotten great advice from the previous graybeards here. And why not open up a bit and let us know what else you've tried? Joe's list is a great place to start. And if you haven't gone down that road, I've got great news: the beast can be tamed! Blessings. lance

IP Logged

mikstudie
CH.com Old Timer

Beastmaster

Westland Mi.
Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 11:19am

Welcome,give us a little more info. Day or night attacks,how many per day,meds your taking??
Good Luck,were here if you need to vent.

IT'S JUST A HEADACHE,TAKE TWO ASPRIN AND GO TO BED!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!