Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
8 weeks and still going strong (Read 939 times)
charman23
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

8 weeks and still going strong
Sep 15th, 2010 at 7:30am

hi people, my names jamie, im 23 and living in portsmouth uk.
hi have been suffering from CH for a while now and normally get them twice a year. im currently suffering and have been since the end of july. every day, twice to three times a day.
the pain is unbearable. its so hard to describe to people what its like, especialy when i get an attack at work.
im currently on half securon x3 a night but they dont seem to do anything. back to the doctors tomorrow for a chat to him about upping the dosage.
the injections work amazingly well and would recommend them to any sufferer. trouble is, i only got given 2! and when suffering 2 headaches a day for weeks at a time, you can imagine the results.
has anyone tried the oxygen? does it work?
i get days where i am in so much agony i feel like banging my messed up head into a wall. i cant sleep. im afraid to sleep because i wake up with another attack.
id really appreciate any help and advice.
thanks for being here for me

best wishes
jamie

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: 8 weeks and still going strong
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 8:15am

We've all been there. Welcome, by the way, and first off please spend as much time cruising this site as you can spare. Tons of good info. Start here:

1. Preventatives: research here and find those that have worked for others-verapamil, lithium, topamax, cafergot, amitriptyline, sometimes a prednisdone taper, melatonin, kudzu, Batch's ph diet...almost all of these can work but keep in mind the effective dosage range is higher for us.

2. Abortives: O2, O2, O2...it is the best and fastest abortive. Read the link to the left. You need much higher flow rates than respiratory care provides, beginning at 25lpm is best. Energy drinks with a combo of caffeine and taurine at first hint of a hit, imitrex/imigran injections (see imitrex tip for stretching out your supply), migranal nasal spray. Keep in minds most pills are much too slow to metabolize to do us any good.

3. A willingness to keep a diary of your hits, and a record of what you try and its effectiveness. There's so much you can do. If I've left anything out somoene will come along and help.

4. Don't give up; don't give in; don't quit lookin' for a weapon to kill the beast. In other words, work hard and maintain your belief this can be tamed.

God bless! lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 9:43am

I'm with Lance. 32 year sufferer here and nothing comes close to oxygen for its ease of use, speed of abort, and lack of any side effects or medication "hang overs"! I can abort an attack in 6-8 minutes just by huffing on pure oxygen. Beats the heck out of the old 90 minute rides I used to take. It has almost eliminated my use of imitrex. Read the oxygen info link on the left as most docs do not know how we use it and will give you nasal canulas, re breather masks, low flow rate regulators, all guarantee failure!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

R33_Ian
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

midlands, uk
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 1:29pm

Hi Jamie,

I'm 26 and just started suffering a little over 4 weeks ago. Pretty sure it's CH but not been properly diagnosed yet. How far have you got with your diagnosis (neurologists, scans etc.)? So far I'm just dealing with my GP who I'm seeing tomorrow but at least this time I'm armed with a lot more info from these nice people.

Hopefully I'll find out a bit more about the availability of o2 too.

I know how hard it is to get people to understand what you're going through. Keep on at your doctor and let's see if we can get some o2!

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 7:02pm

Hi Jamie!

Not only does o2 work - it works great!!!!
Please talk to your doc ASAP about getting it.

Likewise please talk to your doc about a preventative - 2-3 hits per day for over a month now?  Yuck-o.

You can get some relief - please don't give up!!!

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 2:54am

Hi Jamie,

What the others said about O2, plus please check out the imitrex tip, which instructs how to abort 2 to 3 attacks with one 6 mg injector's worth: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

charman23
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 11:06am

Hi everyone. Firstly a big thankyou to you all for replying to me.
I went to see my doctor today and he is arranging for an oxygen tank to be sent to me. He has also upped the dosage of the preventatives. Fingers crossed it will work for me.
I saw a neurologist at the start of the year and had a brain scan to rule out anything else. I'm pleased to say that nothing showed up (tumours etc) and they have confirmed it's cluster headaches.
For anyone who has yet to see a neurologist, I would highly recommend you do. They were fantastic with me and I have been booked in for another appointment in November to see how I'm getting on.
Thankyou once again for all your support.
Jamie

IP Logged

Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 8:51pm

Jaime

so glad that you are getting help - just reminding you that when you order your oxygen you want to make sure that the regulator puts out at least 15 liters per minute and that you get a non-rebreather mask with it. The O2 link on the left gives the needed details. I have often had to tell my docs exactly what was needed and this site has great info in that regard.

Wishing you well on the O2 and many many many PF days and nights.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!