Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just found u (Read 1656 times)
Gator Bill
CH.com Newbie

When the going gets tough...the
tough suck O2!

Just found u
Sep 14th, 2010 at 9:59pm

Hi, I am a newbie who is celebrating 30 years of CH.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Just found u
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 10:04pm

Ouch...hardly a newbie huh? Really glad you found us. Do you have a decent treatment regimen yet? Oxygen for aborting, some good prevent meds? Hoping the beast aint beating on you currently.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Gator Bill
CH.com Newbie

tough suck O2!

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 10:08pm

just 02. used imitrx for several years but seemed to lose effectiveness and insurance started screwing me.
been in cluster for about 4 months now.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 10:11pm

Thank goodness you have the 02, it's all but eliminated my use of the imitrex. Just as fast and you don't get the "trex hangover" afterwards.

Is the 02 keeping it mostly under control? Have you tried any prevent meds in the past to reduce hits? Verapamil, Lithium, Topomax etc.?

Joe

IP Logged

Gator Bill
CH.com Newbie

tough suck O2!

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 10:33pm

sorry, for the delay...i've been exploring the posts. i'm new to message boards.

i have tried different meds over the years but none seemed to work.

the break between episodes seems to be getting smaller the last couple of years. i guess i may be moving to chronic.

I now have less times I can work out, play tennis, golf, etc....much less enjoy a beer.

it gets depressing when i think about it.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 10:44pm

No worries you have a boat load of reading to do. Wink Also, when you get a chance, check out   clusterbusters.com     alternative treatments that have been showing some good results for CH'ers for whom traditional meds weren't cutting it.

Joe

IP Logged

Gator Bill
CH.com Newbie

tough suck O2!

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 10:57pm

Thanks, Joe, for making me feel welcome. I'm in florida and calling it a day. I want to talk with you later tho, I met my wife of 28 years while living in San Diego.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 2:30am

Hey Bill, glad to see that you've been greeted right off by Giuseppi - like myself he is a 30+ year CH'er, and he's someone who has done a lot of observing and learning of what really works for beating CH.

I think I can safely say that he and I both have been helped tremendously by info and advice found here, and I can see he's starting to distill some of the most pertinent bits for you, so you're in good hands. Giussepi is kind of like the Allstate of cluster headaches.  Cheesy

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 8:20am

Hey Bill, welcome! Good to hear another FL boy-GO GATORS! Or are you one o' those Tallahassee/Miami wusses?  Wink Anywho, same thing happened to me. Years of episodic then went chronic for the past 3 years. Very depressing but the people on this site are amazing. They helped me more than I could have imagined. So hang around and hang on. Just one quick question: we've learned a lot over the past years on dosage amounts and how we need much higher rates than the med is usually prescribed. For example, verapamil as high as 980mg or more. O2 in the 25-60lpm range. That kind of thing. And the caffeine/taurine drinks! They're the best! Let us know what you've used and in what amounts. Good luck and God bless! lance

IP Logged

Gator Bill
CH.com Newbie

tough suck O2!

Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 7:49pm

Thanks bejeeber and Lance. Good to meet you.

Lance, I'm in Winter Haven. Where are you? Do you have a good Dr.?

What's the deal on caffeine/taurine?

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 10:40pm

Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor which is exactly what we need when under attack.  The Taurine acts along with it to further maximize it's effect.  Cold packs/showers are  also vasoconstrictors.  All cheap alternatives if you have nothing at all.  Strong coffee is my personal favorite since I couldn't get through a day w/o it anyway. 

Welcome Bill.   I'm 23 yrs. chronic.  But who's counting, right?   Sad

Linda
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2010 at 10:41pm by Linda_Howell »  

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #11 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 12:23am

Linda_Howell wrote on Sep 15th, 2010 at 10:40pm:
Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor which is exactly what we need when under attack.  The Taurine acts along with it to further maximize it's effect.  Cold packs/showers are  also vasoconstrictors.  All cheap alternatives if you have nothing at all.  Strong coffee is my personal favorite since I couldn't get through a day w/o it anyway. 

Taurine acts as a calcium channel antagonist -

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

This is how verapamil a great CH preventivie works too

So the combination of the two is probably why these types of energy drinks help with a CH.

And welcome Bill from someone who will tomorrow be celebrating 4 months of CHs.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #12 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 7:23am

Hey Bill. I'm not in FL now. I was...right next door to you in Auburndale for 9 years. Before that I was in Palm Bay, and before that, Jacksonville. As to a good doctor, I had a neuro in WH who knew immediately what I had, but I can't remember his name. There are a lot of good clinics around, and if you have to, you can even try Tampa or Orlando as you know. Sorry I couldn't help there. Just good to hear a voice from "home." Blessings! lance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!