Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oxygenated Water? (Read 2021 times)
danmoliver
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Oxygenated Water?
Sep 14th, 2010 at 4:37pm

I got to thinking that water seems to help and so does oxygen so maybe there is some sort of high oxygen water you could buy. A quick search and I found out there is, here is one site:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Has anyone ever tried this or know anything about it?
It's fairly cheap and I figure worth the risk, I mean it's not like it's dangerous.

IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Re: Oxygenated Water?
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 4:44pm

The idea is to temporarily over saturate your blood with oxygen. This won't even begin to come close to starting to begin the process.

There are soooooo many ways to spend money. Some make sense, some don't.

Marc

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 5:29pm

I'm with Marc on this one, where a LOT of 02 does a lot of good, a lesser amount of 02 does absolutely no good, and the miniscule amount in oxygenated water would have no effect on CH.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 5:35pm

Your blood exchanges spent gas (CO2) for unspent gas (O2) in the alveoli in the lungs, not in the stomach or intestine.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 7:11pm

You can oxygenate your own water by shaking it up real hard. 

Still won't help, unfortunately.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 9:48pm

Guys,

Are we 100% sure on this? Whats the reason for the water trick then? Also if your blood contains the proper amount of 02 couldn't stop the mechanism itself? Let me know...  Coach Bill Angry

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 11:14pm

Coach, look at their web site! It's hard to find a bigger hype. "Why add oxygen to water? Because it's a great idea!" is about all the information they can provide.

Here a few facts:
At atmospheric pressure and 25 °C (77 °F) water can dissolve 8.9 mg of oxygen (O2). That converts to 0.00623 liter gaseous O2, or the amount in present in  0.029 liter of air. At a breathing rate of 15 liter/minute your oxygen turnover corresponds to the amount in 500 liter (half a ton) of oxygenated water.

Since the so little oxygen can be transported dissolved in water (or blood) hemoglobin was invented (in Vegas ?  Wink).

BTW, a trout can not survive in water of 25 °C (oxygenated or not). It needs a colder temperature where more oxygen can be dissolved.

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 11:22pm

coach_bill wrote on Sep 14th, 2010 at 9:48pm:
Guys,

Are we 100% sure on this? Whats the reason for the water trick then? Also if your blood contains the proper amount of 02 couldn't stop the mechanism itself? Let me know...  Coach Bill Angry

Yes, the water-water-water approach can help reduce the pain in many people. I think that is more closely related to ion balance ... a fair amount of research points to clusterheads having difficulties in dealing with various ions (calcium moving in and out of cells, chloride building up, etc) - and this may cause a low grade of dehydration which responds to drinking lots of water.

Although I am a big proponent of keeping our minds open to new approaches, I am not at all convinced that 'oxygenated water' helps with anything. As ASG points out, even when saturated, water cannot hold much O2 gas - an extra breath or two will supply the body with more oxygen than a case of oxygenated water. I think regular water and pure oxygen (high rate of flow, non-rebreather mask) are two logical approaches. Some people benefit from vigorous aerobic activity when they feel a hit coming on.
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2010 at 11:25pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 2:34am

monty wrote on Sep 14th, 2010 at 11:22pm:
Yes, the water-water-water approach can help reduce the pain in many people. I think that is more closely related to ion balance ... a fair amount of research points to clusterheads having difficulties in dealing with various ions (calcium moving in and out of cells, chloride building up, etc) - and this may cause a low grade of dehydration which responds to drinking lots of water.

Although I am a big proponent of keeping our minds open to new approaches, I am not at all convinced that 'oxygenated water' helps with anything. As ASG points out, even when saturated, water cannot hold much O2 gas - an extra breath or two will supply the body with more oxygen than a case of oxygenated water. I think regular water and pure oxygen (high rate of flow, non-rebreather mask) are two logical approaches. Some people benefit from vigorous aerobic activity when they feel a hit coming on.

I agree.  And for what it's worth I think ion balance affecting neurotransmitters is also the real reason Batch's pH remedy helps some people because pH can't really be changed much without causing cell death.  If you don't have the proper calcium balance, however,  neurotransmitters (serotonin, histamine) can't regulate properly.  It's been a while since I took physiology but in simple terms this means a storm gets started it's difficult to stop if the ion balance is incorrect.  This would also potentially be an explanation for why the pH remedy seems to help some people but not others- if your ion balance is fine then the storm isn't responding to some other unidentified factor.  And now I'm getting into pure speculation here but I'd guess that unidentified factor is likely genetic.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 11:19pm

Katherinecm wrote on Sep 15th, 2010 at 2:34am:
I agree.  And for what it's worth I think ion balance affecting neurotransmitters is also the real reason Batch's pH remedy helps some people because pH can't really be changed much without causing cell death. 

Well, yes and no. The pH of blood doesn't change much at all, but to keep the blood pH within those narrow limits, the body will do whatever it takes, including changing the pH (and ion levels) of just about everything else ... pulling calcium out of the bones and cell interiors, changing parathyroid hormone, increasing blood pressure, etc.. Most 'alkalinizing' regimes do raise the pH of saliva, urine, and other non-blood fluids, and this is accompanied by changes in the way that magnesium, potassium and calcium circulate in the body.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!