Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alternative treatments (Read 833 times)
chopper922
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Alternative treatments
Sep 11th, 2010 at 2:26pm

Haven't been here in a while...
whats up everyone ?
I just got remembered that 2-3 years ago (before i was diagnosed with CH) I tried some alternative treatments to reduce the headaches since the Docs gave me prescriptions against Migraines and they didn't help..I tried Acupuncture and it sort of helped me for a month and then it just was a waste of money.. did anyone here try it ?
I have noticed also that running actually can reduce the amount of headaches, can anyone support that ? or its just my "cool off" period ?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Alternative treatments
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2010 at 3:57pm

Hey Chopper,

You're not alone in finding that running tends to decrease the frequency of your CH.  The best explanation for this phenomenon likely rests with the fact that a good cardiovascular workout tones the cardiovascular system and improves lung functions.

As arterial carbon dioxide (CO2) buildup and low oxygen levels tend to favor the cluster headache triggering mechanism, anything that improves the O2 - CO2 exchange in the lungs works in your favor.  It's still anecdotal at this point but it also appears a toned up vascular system is also more resistant to the CH triggering mechanism.

I've also found a diet high in alkaline forming and anti-inflammatory foods tends to reduce the frequency of my attacks as well.  A diet like this also tends to make oxygen therapy at flow rates that support hyperventilation more effective with much shorter abort times.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 12:20am

Accupuncture has been a total flop for CH.  I've heard good things about it for a lot of different things, but I know of no one who has successfully treated CH with it, but I know of several who have had significant weight loss in the wallet area from it.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2010 at 2:05pm

chopper922 wrote on Sep 11th, 2010 at 2:26pm:
I have noticed also that running actually can reduce the amount of headaches, can anyone support that ? or its just my "cool off" period ?

The last three years I've had a far more physical job with longer hours than previous sedentary desk jobs.  It's not running but physically active enough daily that I can't stay above 150 lbs very long, which is less than my high school drivers license, so not self-typical.

After the first two years a noticeable difference happened, actually pf for six months and since then manageable with only 240mg of verap a day, hardly enough to feel any side effects.  Occasional breakthroughs are easily handled.  This is the best time ever since CH began episodically twice a year then chronic for six.

Maybe age is a factor, I'll find out when I can't maintain the rigors in a couple years, but comparatively, one of the worst times was sitting home at the computer looking for a job three years ago. 
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2010 at 2:08pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!