Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cafergot questions (Read 1607 times)
chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
cafergot questions
Sep 9th, 2010 at 3:34pm

hi all,
  Ive been using cafergot as a perentative before bed every night and its working terrific.  Of course, everything I read, and my doc says I cant stayu on it too long.  Ive only been using half a tab. Does anyone know how long I can stay on it,  could I stay on it for the sixty days if I need to?  It doesnt prevent shadows or hits in the day,  but I can handle \anything as long as I  am getting sleep.  It scares me to go off it, because its working so good.

any info would be greatly appreciated

thanks a bunch
chris Smiley

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Re: cafergot questions
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 3:58pm

Hi Chris. I have used cafergot daily for as long as 6 mos before with no problems except when I went to get off of it after my cycle was over, I had a couple of sleepless nights. I felt tense as it slowly got out of my system but that was all.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 7:06pm

Due to a neuro's incompetence I was seriously over-dosed with the stuff and don't recommend it for a moment. Just keep an eye out for unusual feelings around your hands and feets.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 8:38pm

I've taken 2-3 tabs/day for 5 months straight.  My fingers and toes get a little cold from the reduced circulation but that's about it.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 6:51pm

thanks guys,

thats awesome,  now if I can just get a doc to prescribe it for longer than a month!!!!!   Undecided

christine

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 11:41am

I'm suprised you can go to sleep after taking it! I used to pop a cafergot when I'd start the 02. 02 would beat it down, cafergot would buy me up to 12 hours pain free. I'm one that the 02 will beat it down fast, but it will come back 10-20 minutes later, that's why I used the cafergot with it! But DAMN...I'd be up all night organizing the tupperware drawers!!!

Now I drink a Red Bull with the oxygen and it seems to have the same effect. Do watch the circulation effect on fingers and toes.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 8:23am

I'm almost embarrassed to say it, but I was on cafergot for years. Hated it, and while there was no St Elmo's Fire going on, I knew it was taking me down a bad road. Getting off of it was tough, too. Not just the caffeine but the ergotamine in combination. Had rebounds and all kinds of bad stuff. Glad to be off it. lance

IP Logged

Lenny
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Los Angeles,CA
Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 12:23am

Hi Chrisw,

i too have used cafergot as a preventative,started when my magic potion of verap and lithium stopped working the magic,so my doc added this into the mix...Like you,i would take 1 an hour prior to bed and 1 @ noon...I ended up doing a half prior to bed (as it was very hard for me to wake up for work) i did this for appr 4-5 years with some good results for sleep...If you are using trex or any other type of triptan, PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL...I got away with this for those 4-5 years with no problems (this past march-2010) it caught up with me (twice in a week) needless to say after the second time i dumped the rest of the cafergot in the toilet and rely on my trex to abort,as 02 does not work for me Cry Cry Cry.....Lenny

yes a newbie,unfortunately not to the beast!!!Chronic - Clusterhead

IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2010 at 4:10pm

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I wait until I cant hold my eyes open anymore (because I take some melatonin and that knocks me out),  then I take it just when I am falling asleep.  I figure it takes about an hour to get into my system, and I usually wake with a ha about two hours after I fall asleep.  So far, working good.  I never feel anything in my hands or feet, so I guess half a tab isnt too much.  I dont understand why my doc is so stingy with it.  Im not stupid,  I know not to take imitrex with it.  She acts like I have a death wish or something.  I told her,  hey if I wanted to kill myself, I would have done it years ago, before O2, imitrex, verapamil, and cafergot.

chris

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!