Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Verapamil users (Read 4362 times)
mikstudie
CH.com Old Timer

Beastmaster

Westland Mi.
Verapamil users
Sep 9th, 2010 at 10:56am

I think I have reached the end of this cycle and my doctor is thinking Verapamil. What dose (Millagrams) do you use per day????
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2010 at 10:57am by mikstudie »  

IT'S JUST A HEADACHE,TAKE TWO ASPRIN AND GO TO BED!!!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Verapamil users
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 10:58am

Why on earth would you start a preventative at the end of your cycle?

My magic number was 480mg/day.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

mikstudie
CH.com Old Timer

Beastmaster

Westland Mi.
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 11:21am

Brew wrote on Sep 9th, 2010 at 10:58am:
Why on earth would you start a preventative at the end of your cycle?

My magic number was 480mg/day.

So I guess it does not prevent a new cycle?

And is only used during a cycle?

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 11:24am

I take 240mg OUT of cycle.( I start shadowing if I try to wean off of it.)  In cycle, I have been up to 560mg.

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 12:06pm

mikstudie wrote on Sep 9th, 2010 at 11:21am:
So I guess it does not prevent a new cycle?

And is only used during a cycle?

Some take it all the time, but if you have definite cycles (i.e., you know when they will strike), there should be no need to take it in between.

Jeannie has a use for it between cycles - are you sure you do? Hers is most likely the high and low cycles experienced by a chronic sufferer.

Why take it if you don't need to?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 12:56pm

If your cycle is ending, maybe you could ask your Dr. about not starting it  until you are due for your next cycle.  That is what I used to do but have not been able to come off of it this time.   It will be a year next month.

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

mikstudie
CH.com Old Timer

Beastmaster

Westland Mi.
Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 1:07pm

last two cycles 2008 and 2010 have been July,Aug,Sept. mabey wait and start in early July next year.Thanks for the advise I'll see what doc thinks.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 1:47pm

mikstudie wrote on Sep 9th, 2010 at 1:07pm:
last two cycles 2008 and 2010 have been July,Aug,Sept. mabey wait and start in early July next year.Thanks for the advise I'll see what doc thinks.

The reason you don't want to take it when you don't need it is so you can avoid some of the side effects, which for me were quite bothersome: constipation and sexual dysfunction being the only two that really concerned me (like that's not enough to carry around, eh?).

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 1:57pm

See PDF below.
==========
Headache. 2004 Nov;44(10):1013-8.   

Individualizing treatment with verapamil for cluster headache patients.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Background.-Verapamil is currently the best available prophylactic drug for patients experiencing cluster headaches (CHs). Published papers usually state 240 to 480 mg taken in three divided doses give good results, ranging from 50% to 80%; others mention higher doses-720, even 1200 mg per day. In clinical practice we found we needed to adapt dosage to individual's time of attacks, in particular giving higher doses before going to bed to suppress severe nocturnal episodes. A few only required 120 mg daily. We therefore evolved a scheme for steady and progressive drug increase until satisfactory control had been achieved. Objective.-To find the minimum dose of verapamil required to prevent episodic and chronic cluster headaches by supervising each individual and adjusting the dosage accordingly. Methods.-Consecutive patients with episodic or chronic CH (satisfying International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) were started on verapamil 40 mg in the morning, 80 mg early afternoon, and 80 mg before going to bed. Patients kept a diary of all attacks, recording times of onset, duration, and severity. They were advised, verbally and in writing, to add 40 mg verapamil on alternate days, depending on their attack timing: with nocturnal episodes the first increase was the evening dose and next the afternoon one; when attacks occurred on or soon after waking, we advised setting an alarm clock 2 hours before the usual waking time and then taking the medication. Patients were followed-up at weekly intervals until attacks were controlled. They were also reviewed when a cluster period had ended, and advised to continue on the same dose for a further 2 weeks before starting systematic reduction. Chronic cluster patients were reviewed as often as necessary. Results.-Seventy consecutive patients, 52 with episodic CH during cluster periods and 18 with chronic CH, were all treated with verapamil as above. Complete relief from headaches was obtained in 49 (94%) of 52 with episodic, and 10 (55%) of 18 with chronic CH; the majority needed 200 to 480 mg, but 9 in the episodic, and 3 in the chronic group, needed 520 to 960 mg for control. Ten, 2 in the episodic and 8 in the chronic group, with incomplete relief, required additional therapy-lithium, sumatriptan, or sodium valproate. One patient withdrew because verapamil made her too tired, another developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and the drug was withdrawn. Conclusions.-Providing the dosage for each individual is adequate, preventing CH with verapamil is highly effective, taken three (occasionally with higher doses, four) times a day. In the majority (94%) with episodic CH steady dose increase under supervision, totally suppressed attacks. However in the chronic variety only 55% were completely relieved, 69% men, but only 20% women. In both groups, for those with partial attack suppression, additional prophylactic drugs or acute treatment was necessary. (Headache 2004;44:1013-1018).

=======================================
SLOW-RELEASE VERAPAMIL

Dr. Sheftell applauded the protocol for verapamil used by Dr. Goadsby and colleagues, which entailed use of short-acting verapamil in increments of 80 mg. “This method was suggested by Lee Kudrow, MD, 20 years ago as an alternative to slow-release verapamil,” Dr. Sheftell noted.

“I would agree with using short-acting verapamil, rather than the sustained-release formulation, in cluster headache,” he said. “I prefer the short-acting formulation with regard to ability to titrate more accurately and safely. My clinical experience anecdotally demonstrates improved responses when patients are switched from sustained-release verapamil to short-acting verapamil.”

Dr. Goadsby agreed that his clinical experience was similar. “There are no well-controlled, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging studies to direct treatment. This is one of those areas where clinicians who treat cluster headache have to combine what modicum of evidence is available with their own clinical experience,” Dr. Sheftell commented.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (144 KB | 27 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

crisjensdad
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Upstate New York
Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 8:55pm

Went to neoroligist today I was increased to 3 120mg quick release verapamil from 2 120mg slow release pills about a month ago. Today I was changed to 2 240mg slow release pills a day. I'm a chronic sufferer and just wondering if anyone has heard of having EKG's because of higher dose? Never heard of taking ekg's for this, hoping maybe someone has some idea. Thanks for any info.

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:06pm

I take 480 mg daily during cycle, that is my magic # so far!  Wink

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:20pm

crisjensdad wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 8:55pm:
Went to neoroligist today I was increased to 3 120mg quick release verapamil from 2 120mg slow release pills about a month ago. Today I was changed to 2 240mg slow release pills a day. I'm a chronic sufferer and just wondering if anyone has heard of having EKG's because of higher dose? Never heard of taking ekg's for this, hoping maybe someone has some idea. Thanks for any info.

Hi Cris,

I take 480mg/dy during low cycle and 960-1040 in high cycle...the IMMEDIATE release form is the one to consider. Works for me...most of the time.

Ekg's are the norm for high doses of this med...especially when upping the dose. Bob J has tirelessly posted the BEST info on this med (God Bless Bob...and I certainly do, EVERY day)....research those....you will be well served.

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

crisjensdad
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Upstate New York
Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 8:36pm

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the info on this. Seems the immediate release was not doing good things for me so doc thought it best to go back to the slow release for awhile anyway. Thanks for all the info and help, you guys and gals are great!

IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 4:11pm

I'm on 720mg and everything is working fine!!! Good thing!
Still get a few hits but no dis-functioning here!
Topomax fixes the constipation for me...  Cheesy

But once the cycle is done!  I'm off this crap till next bout, I
Just don't know when the next time is, but I am happy not to
take all this stuff year round!  Sure as shit don't miss the
visits either! Wink

Peace,

Boski

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 5:23pm

I'm on 360mg a day divided up into 3 equal doses. This is working pretty well for me as a preventitive although it is making me a bit tired at times and has dropped my blood pressure quite a bit too.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #15 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 8:39am

Verapamil warning
« on: Aug 21st, 2007, 10:38am »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this information recently in the form of a news release but more details here.

Neurology. 2007 Aug 14;69(7):668-75. 

Electrocardiographic abnormalities in patients with cluster headache on verapamil therapy.

Cohen AS, Matharu MS, Goadsby PJ.

Headache Group, Institute of Neurology, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London, UK.

BACKGROUND: High dose verapamil is an increasingly common preventive treatment in cluster headache (CH). Side effects include atrioventricular block and bradycardia, although their incidence in this population is not clear. METHOD: This audit study assessed the incidence of arrhythmias on high dose verapamil in patients with cluster headache. RESULTS: Of three hundred sixty-nine patients with cluster headache, 217 outpatients (175 men) received verapamil, starting at 240 mg daily and increasing by 80 mg every 2 weeks with a check electrocardiogram (EKG), until the CH was suppressed, side effects intervened, or to a maximum daily dose of 960 mg. One patient had 1,200 mg/day. Eighty-nine patients (41%) had no EKGs. One hundred eight had EKGs in the hospital notes, and a further 20 had EKGs done elsewhere. Twenty-one of 108 patients (19%) had arrhythmias. Thirteen (12%) had first-degree heart block (PR > 0.2 s), at 240 to 960 mg/day, with one requiring a permanent pacemaker. Four patients had junctional rhythm, and one had second-degree heart block. Four patients had right bundle branch block. There was bradycardia (HR < 60 bpm) in 39 patients (36%), but verapamil was stopped in only 4 patients. In eight patients the PR interval was lengthened, but not to >0.2 s. The incidence of arrhythmias on verapamil in this patient group is 19%, and bradycardia 36%. CONCLUSION: We therefore strongly recommend EKG monitoring in all patients with cluster headache on verapamil, to observe for the potential development of atrioventricular block and symptomatic bradycardia.

PMID: 17698788 [PubMed]

« Reply #7 on: Today at 1:01am » WITH THANKS TO "MJ" FOR POSTING THIS EXPLANATION. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The article summarized in layman terms from the website below.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Cluster Headache Treatment Poses Cardiac Dangers 
Off-label use of verapamil linked to heart rhythm abnormalities, study finds 

By Jeffrey Perkel
HealthDay Reporter   

MONDAY, Aug. 13 (HealthDay News) -- People who use a blood pressure drug called verapamil to treat cluster headaches may be putting their hearts at risk.

That's the finding from a British study that found heart rhythm abnormalities showing up in about one in five patients who took the drug in this unapproved, "off-label" way.

"The good news is, when you stop the drug, the effect wears off," said study lead author Dr. Peter Goadsby, professor of neurology at University College London. "So, as long as doctors know about it, and patients with cluster headaches on verapamil know they need EKGs [electrocardiograms] done, it is a completely preventable problem." 

The study is published in the Aug. 14 issue of Neurology.

In a review of the medical records of 217 patients given verapamil to treat their cluster headaches, a team led by Goadsby found that 128 had undergone an EKG, 108 of which were available in the medical records.

Of those 108 patients, about one in five exhibited abnormalities (mostly slowing) in the heart's conduction system -- the "natural pacemaker" that causes the organ to beat. Most of these cases weren't deemed serious, although one patient did end up having a pacemaker implanted to help correct the problem. In four cases, doctors took patients off verapamil due to their EKG findings.

One in three (34 percent) developed non-cardiac side effects such as lethargy and constipation. 

"It is a very nice piece of work, because it provides commentary on a boutique [that is, niche and off-label] use of the drug," said Dr. Domenic Sica, professor of medicine and pharmacology in the Virginia Commonwealth University Health System. He was not involved in the study.

Cluster headache affects about 69 in every 100,000 people, according to the Worldwide Cluster Headache Support Group Web site. Men are six times more likely than women to be afflicted, and the typical age of onset is around 30. According to Goadsby, the disease manifests as bouts of very severe pain, one or many times per day, for months at a time, usually followed by a period of remission. 

Verapamil, a calcium-channel antagonist drug, is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of cardiac arrhythmias and high blood pressure. The medicine is typically given in doses of 180 to 240 milligrams per day to help ease hypertension. 

However, the patients in this study received more than twice that dose for the off-label treatment of their cluster headaches -- 512 milligrams per day on average, and one patient elected to take 1,200 milligrams per day. The treatment protocol involved ramping up the dose from 240 milligrams to as high as 960 milligrams per day, in 80 milligram increments every two weeks, based on EKG findings, side effects, and symptomatic relief. 

Many patients may not be getting those kinds of tests to monitor heart function, however: In this study cohort, about 40 percent of patients never got an EKG. 

Given the typical dosage, Sica said he was surprised so many patients were able to tolerate such high amounts of the drug.

"When used in clinical practice for hypertension, the high-end dose is 480 milligrams," said Sica. "Most people cannot tolerate 480."

Dr. Carl Pepine, chief of cardiology at the University of Florida, Gainesville, was also "amazed" at the doses that were tolerated in this study. "The highest dose I ever gave [for cardiology indications] was 680 milligrams. This might give me more encouragement to use the drug at higher dose," he said. 

But Sica said he thought cardiac patients -- the typical verapamil users -- were unlikely to tolerate the drug as well as the patients in this study, because verapamil reacts differently in older individuals, who are more likely to have high blood pressure, than in younger patients. The average patient in the United Kingdom study was 44 years old. 

According to Sica, two factors would conspire to make older individuals more sensitive to verapamil. First, the metabolism of the drug is age-dependent, meaning that older individuals would tend to have higher blood levels of the drug, because it is cleared more slowly than in younger individuals.

Secondly, the conduction system of the heart (the natural "pacemaker" becomes more sensitive to the effects of verapamil with age, Sica said. 

"It's likely that an older population would not be able to tolerate the same dose," he concluded. 

According to Goadsby, the take-home message of this study is simple: Be sure to get regular EKGs if you are taking verapamil for cluster headaches. Goadsby recommended EKGs within two weeks of changing doses, and because problems can arise over time -- even if the dose doesn't change -- to get an EKG every six months while on a constant dose. 

"The tests are not expensive, and they are not invasive," he said. "They are not in any way a danger to the patient."

For the most part, Goadsby said, should a cardiac problem arise, it will typically go away once the treatment is halted." 

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #16 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 3:23pm

I am on 360 of the Verapamil SR which also seems to work better for me. 

You were given great advice and I would only reiterate it.    Wink

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #17 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 4:55pm

Bob Johnson wrote on Sep 19th, 2010 at 8:39am:
MONDAY, Aug. 13 (HealthDay News) --

The medicine is typically given in doses of 180 to 240 milligrams per day to help ease hypertension. 

According to Sica, two factors would conspire to make older individuals more sensitive to verapamil. First, the metabolism of the drug is age-dependent, meaning that older individuals would tend to have higher blood levels of the drug, because it is cleared more slowly than in younger individuals.

Thanks, Bob. 

I was able to go med-free for six months, but then things began again.  This go-round though, 120-240/day is sufficient for some reason, and no side-effects.  Have been more active, but it could be just getting older. 

Cool senior citizen benefits.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2010 at 5:08pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Bill G
CH.com Newbie

Sure, say no to drugs,
but say yes to O2.

Vergas, MN (Rural)
Reply #18 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 3:10pm

My neurologist, who just started me on O2, is recommending I try Verapamil next.  The O2 is working very well.  O2 is a vasoconstrictor, Verapamil a vasodialator.  I'm having trouble making sense of this apparent conflict.  Moreover, I already manage my BP quite nicely with Losartan.  Earlier, when getting my BP under control, I had adverse reactions to atenolol, lisinopril and amlodopine.  Any thoughts on this?

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #19 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 4:33pm

Bill G wrote on Sep 20th, 2010 at 3:10pm:
My neurologist, who just started me on O2, is recommending I try Verapamil next.  The O2 is working very well.  O2 is a vasoconstrictor, Verapamil a vasodialator.  I'm having trouble making sense of this apparent conflict.  Moreover, I already manage my BP quite nicely with Losartan.  Earlier, when getting my BP under control, I had adverse reactions to atenolol, lisinopril and amlodopine.  Any thoughts on this?

Verapamil is a pretty good preventitive for many people (including me) and it's much better to prevent the CH from happening in the first place (most of the time) rather than relying on aborting them quickly with oxygen.

There are alternatives to Verapamil, like lithium, which may be better for you to avoid messing up your well managed BP.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #20 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 5:30pm

Quote:
Verapamil users

Just adding a personal experience to this thread.

After a time at higher doses, above 480 up to 900mg/day, and if a decrease in dosage is attempted because things have seemed ok for a while, for me, when it's a mistake, the effect would be known within about 48 hours. 

While on much less recently, about 240mg, and a decrease is attempted, my mistake is known within about 16 hours.  A time difference has personally depended on how much is regularly being taken. 

There can be many other factors affecting this, though. 

I've read here some can have more immediate consequences if a dose is skipped.

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #21 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 7:38pm

Just to add what is going on right now with me is very similar to Kevin, as I am taking only 160mg Verap daily during cycle, and so far so good!! Smiley
I am 51 and maybe we are out growing them, but I doubt that just yet!! Wink O2 full and at the ready!!! Cool

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #22 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 8:09pm

Kevin_M wrote on Sep 20th, 2010 at 5:30pm:
Quote:
Verapamil users

Just adding a personal experience to this thread.

Me too...and similar

After a time at higher doses, above 480 up to 900mg/day, and if a decrease in dosage is attempted because things have seemed ok for a while, for me, when it's a mistake, the effect would be known within about 48 hours. 

I know within 24 hrs....

While on much less recently, about 240mg, and a decrease is attempted, my mistake is known within about 16 hours.  A time difference has personally depended on how much is regularly being taken. 

Same here....

There can be many other factors affecting this, though. 

Oh yeah!...we is all the same and all different...thinking that's why we are here. Share your experience...hope it helps someone...

I've read here some can have more immediate consequences if a dose is skipped.

Yup...that has happened to me too. The ONLY way you gonna know for yourself is experience. It can be a HARD teacher......

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #23 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 7:53am

I just want to bring back to this thread what Brew said earlier about taking verapamil when we're "off cycle." I agree this makes sense for those of us who are chronic, and we now know we do experience cyclic highs and lows while chronic. But if one is episodic there is nothing to prevent between cycles, so it seems to obviate the need for verapamil. Again, it depends on whether you are episodic or chronic. lance

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #24 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 11:52am

jon019 wrote on Sep 20th, 2010 at 8:09pm:
The ONLY way you gonna know for yourself is experience. It can be a HARD teacher......

Like a true/false quiz and guessing.      Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!