Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anybody have luck with continually breathing O2? (Read 1716 times)
kdeen0201
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Anybody have luck with continually breathing O2?
Sep 3rd, 2010 at 7:14am

I do not have my 10 liters per minute set up yet, but I do have a friend who is letting me use his that is 2 liters per minute. I have really been using it as much as I can just to see if it makes any type of difference. I might be crazy, but it seems to help with some, but not all of the shadows, pressure and pain. Wondering if anybody else has tried this or has worked for them. Thank you.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Anybody have luck with continually breathing O2?
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 8:31am

It might help with ongoing shadows...if it's working for you, fine. But as a rule, it isn't going to do anything when the cluster comes. For that, you need a flow rate much higher than the 10lpm you say you're getting. I'm worried about that part. How did you decided on that flow rate? Most of us have found 25+lpm are indicated for aborting a hit. lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 10:00am

Some have tried using 02 concentrators with  nasal canulas to get them through the night with no hits. None had any degree of success. With oxygen, it seems like a little bit doesn't do much, and more is better. People for whom 02 didn't work at 15 LPM, have found success at 25 LPM.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

kdeen0201
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 10:09am

My doc prescribed 10 per minute but I won't have the money to pick it up until next wed. my friend uses O2 for COPD. he had a couple of extra tanks that he is letting me borrow just to see if it helps. I can't wait until next week though. I have another appt. with the head doc next wed. should I go ahead and get a RX for the 15? or try the 10 first?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 10:17am

If you can get the new prescription for 15, do so. There are a small number of CH'ers who abort at rates as low as 7 LPM. With a 15 LPM regulator, that's the max it will go up to. You can start it at 10 LPM, and if that doesn't work, just by turning the knob you can go up to 15 LPM. With a 10 LPM regulator, that's your max. If it doesn't work at 10, you can't go any higher. Hope this helps.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Art S
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB! But these
Headaches S*ck

Frankfort, KY
Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 10:22am

The trick is getting your provider to get you the right regulator.  If he prescribed 10lpm you'll probably get just that.  I don't know if they make a 10lpm regulator, some else may chime in here, but they generally won't give you more than prescribed.  I start at 10lpm to conserve.  If within a few minutes it isn't working I go to 15lpm.  10lpm works most times.  I doubt 2lpm is going to do much for you.  I have had limited success at 8lpm but below that nothing. I Hope you get that 10lpm soon.  You can always buy your own Regulator online if 10lpm doesn't work and your doc won't go any higher.  It's good news to hear your finally getting your O2 though Wink

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 11:01am

25 lpm if you can get it.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 12:54pm

Please try for a minimum of 25.  The Dr was using outdated information when he prescribed 10.  The latest studies are calling for up to 15, but the general consensus of most of us who use O2 is becoming the more the better.  I gave up on 15 years ago and went without, and only tried again last year when I was encouraged to use the new Optimask at 25 lpm.  It makes a world of difference, although I still suck the bag flat if I let it get above a Kip5 before I get to the O2.  I can still abort within 5-8 mins whereas at 15 I was having to remove the mask because I couldn't get enough air and it was taking 20-30 mins to abort.

As to continuous breathing of O2, no it won't stop them.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 3:43pm

I continually breathe O2. It makes up about 21% of all the gas I suck every day.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 12:06am

Many have success with 10lpm and below but many more find they need a higher flow to have 'great' success with O2. No matter what, you must keep in mind higher flow may work better.

O2 is best as an abortive for CH, very few find it useful as a preventative. As your CH continues you will search out whatever is best for you.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 1:40am

Brew wrote on Sep 4th, 2010 at 3:43pm:
I continually breathe O2. It makes up about 21% of all the gas I suck every day.

hahaha
Cheesy  Grin Cheesy

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!