Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: My favorite cheap O2 regulator (Read 2776 times)
Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Re: My favorite cheap O2 regulator
Sep 2nd, 2010 at 9:41pm

I forgot to mention that I can also use this "big tank" regulator above on small medical tanks like the "E" size by using a CGA 870 to CGA 540 adapter. I bought a box of three of these on ebay for $20.00

The small medical tank would go on the left and the regulator on the right:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

More on that here: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Marc
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2010 at 9:42pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 1:06am

Thanks for the info Marc! I checked Ebay and found a couple refurbs in the $45 range.....hard to beat that price for a 540 reg.....

ETA: I wonder if there would be enough interest to do a group buy to get the lot of 10 price? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2010 at 1:09am by Racer1_NC »  

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 7:55pm

Geez, I wish I would have known last month!  Haven't had to use O2 in the last four weeks, so I know I'm cured and will never need it again!  (three used ones on Ebay for $39.  I think I'll get one (just in case Cheesy)

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

his wife
CH.com Old Timer

The sweetest sound is
my children's laughter

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 6:50pm

Hi Marc,

I'm a newbie to the board, hubby has had ch for 20+ years.  Spent today re-reading all the 02 info on this site...I learned alot!  Just ordered Optimask, and I need to get him a regulator, 15 lpm not doing it anymore and want to go higher than 25.  Read your post on your fave cheap 02 reg...and googled it.  Found one at comfortgurus.com but I have no clue what I'm buying (different info on each site)..the one I'm looking at looks like your pic and is called RO 87-RO.  The product is RHE 87-RO and costs $66.68.  Does this sound like what you bought? It fits CGA 540.  (sorry to be such a girl but this is not my specialty!  high pressure/low pressure...it's all greek to me.)  My husband could figure this out, but it's been a HORRIBLE CH month and we're both goofy  Cheesy  from only a few hrs of sleep ea nite because of this "beast"...he's barely functioning and still trying to work, as am I, so I "take care" of things like meds, etc... I went to ebay but again, too many different types and some only go up to 15.  Still don't understand difference between the lpm vs psi flow but read you go to 5 psi and this goes to 60(? idk ) Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thank you so much and be well. (He has the large M size tank)

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 8:29pm

hiswife Check this...  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 8:55pm

You have good questions.

The only thing that you have to worry about is getting the right kind of regulator to fit the tank that you use.

See this link that I put together awhile back: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The regulator that I listed is the same one that you found online. Remember that it is a welding regulator so it will fit all welding oxygen tanks AND LARGE medical oxygen tanks. It WILL NOT fit smaller medical oxygen tanks like the common “E” size tank.  The CGA 540 refers to that type of fitting.

The other type of tank is often called a “yolk” type fitting or CGA 870.  It is difficult (very expensive) to find regulators CGA 870 that go above 25 lpm.

Remember that “liters per minute” is only important to know when buying a medical regulator. As you have found out, you have one that limits you to 15 lpm. The next one up will limit you to 25 lpm (which might work)

All welding regulators can provide waaaaaaaaaay more than he could ever use, so don’t worry about the numbers – they are completely unimportant – unless you actually plan to use it with a cutting torch  Smiley

Marc

IP Logged

his wife
CH.com Old Timer

The sweetest sound is
my children's laughter

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 10:41pm

Thank you so much for the information.  This is such a great group of people with everybody bringing their own experiences and expertise to the table, all to help others.    Smiley Smiley Smiley  I hope I can return the favor someday.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 12:13am

his wife wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 10:41pm:
Thank you so much for the information.  This is such a great group of people with everybody bringing their own experiences and expertise to the table, all to help others.    Smiley Smiley Smiley  I hope I can return the favor someday.   

Stick around, and you will get that chance!  We will be happy to have the help.  Many tend to try to forget CH in between cycles.  I'm not being critical here, I wish I could do the same, but the ones who stick around when they don't need the help personally make a BIG difference.  (They also are in a lot better position when the beast does come back because they have been learning as new things come out.  Hint, Hint Wink)

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 6:44am

Marc wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 9:02pm:
JustNotRight wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 8:29pm:
hiswife Check this...  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

That's a really great price, but it is made for a small medical tank with a CGA 870 fitting, so it won't fit on her husband's medical M tank.

Thanks Heaps Marc!  Gauge fittings, coded numbers & letters, what goes where, still all Greek to me   Cheesy

M.K. Gandhi

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 12:19pm

Are you saying a medical regulator for the larger tanks will also fit welding tanks?  I thought there was an adapter that had to be used to retrofit them.

Jerry

Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Marc
CH.com Old Timer

TX
Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 2:37pm

Callico wrote on Sep 9th, 2010 at 12:19pm:
Are you saying a medical regulator for the larger tanks will also fit welding tanks?  I thought there was an adapter that had to be used to retrofit them.
Jerry

Yes, Jerry - they fit right on - no adapters required.
- ALL welding O2 tanks, large and tiny, have a CGA 540 fitting.
- ALL large medical tanks like the M, have a CGA 540 fitting.
- Medical regulators for large medical tanks are CGA 540.
- All welding (O2) regulators are CGA 540.
- CGA 540 devices are interchangeable.

Small medical tanks are the odd man out with a CGA 870 also referred to as a "yolk" type connector. Yes there is an adapter to allow you to use a CGA 540 on on small medical tanks.

This is why I've been suggesting buying a CGA 540 regulator for all of this time. A CGA 540 regular fits large medical and all welding tanks!

I put together a web page last year to help explain it more visually: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Best regards,
Marc
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2010 at 2:38pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 3:40pm

Marc wrote on Sep 9th, 2010 at 2:37pm:
Jerry

Small medical tanks are the odd man out with a CGA 870 also referred to as a "yolk" type connector. Yes there is an adapter to allow you to use a CGA 540 on on small medical tanks.

This is why I've been suggesting buying a CGA 540 regulator for all of this time. A CGA 540 regular fits large medical and all welding tanks!

I put together a web page last year to help explain it more visually: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Best regards,
Marc

Yer like a freakin oxygen god.

Potter

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 4:43pm

Potter wrote on Sep 9th, 2010 at 3:40pm:
Marc wrote on Sep 9th, 2010 at 2:37pm:
Jerry

Best regards,
Marc

Yer like a freakin oxygen god.

Potter

Smiley Smiley

M.K. Gandhi

IP Logged

reptile
CH.com Junior

life is the school; love
is the lesson

x0|Venice|||0|0|CA,California
Reply #13 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 12:32am

Is it true that buying welding or industrial oxygen is just as good (and much less expensive) as buying medical oxygen?  I've read that comment on this site and would like confirmation.  It sure would save me a bunch of money, but I am also not interested in risking my health, right?

thanks in advance for any informed responses.

thee werido still known by some as thee reptile

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #14 - Sep 24th, 2010 at 12:47pm

Quote:
so I know I'm cured and will never need it again!

OMG...GASP!!!!!!

Jerry used the "C" word.   Smiley

sorry about the hi-jack.  Smiley

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!