Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What if there is air in imitrex vile? (Read 1880 times)
kdeen0201
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

What if there is air in imitrex vile?
Aug 31st, 2010 at 9:45pm

There is a bubble in the last dose of the imitrex vile. Is there a way to push it out without wasting any of the medicine? Should I just push the fluid in and stop at the bubble the next time I inject? Is it safe to push the bubble under the skin? I'm sure I sound like a dummy, but I really, just don't know the answers. Thanks for the help anybody.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Re: What if there is air in imitrex vile?
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 11:37pm

All I know is that since I started looking I've pretty much always seen a bubble in every imitrex vial, and after what must be countless times having injected that air bubble along with the med, I got in the habit of holding the injector with needle facing up (in which case the air goes to the top) and just slowly pushing the air all out until the tiniest bit of fluid is seen exiting the needle.

Basically just like I've seen the nurses and docs do it in the movies, but very careful to not let any significant anmount of fluid escape.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2010 at 11:37pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

kdeen0201
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2010 at 8:59am

I kind of thought that since it wasn't being injected into a vein it would be ok, but you just never know. And yes, I don't want to waste a single drop of imitrex. It's too precious..

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2010 at 10:53am

I take another med via subcutaneous injection once a week, and I was told by the nurse that a small bubble injected under the skin is really not a big deal. It may cause a little more discomfort than normal, but the needle's not long enough to allow you to inject it into a vein or artery. Especially if you're injecting into an area that has a good amount of sub-q body fat.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2010 at 11:20am

Marc wrote on Sep 1st, 2010 at 10:59am:
That makes it really easy for me.....a target rich environment.

Always go for the apples laying on the ground before you climb the tree.... Grin

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Daniel Cook
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 12:04am

kdeen0201 wrote on Aug 31st, 2010 at 9:45pm:
There is a bubble in the last dose of the imitrex vile. Is there a way to push it out without wasting any of the medicine? Should I just push the fluid in and stop at the bubble the next time I inject? Is it safe to push the bubble under the skin? I'm sure I sound like a dummy, but I really, just don't know the answers. Thanks for the help anybody.

Hey there is no harm with the bubble as its being injected into the muscle not the vien!! vien + bubbles = not even that bad as by the time it reaches the heart the lungs have absorbed it! however BIG air bubbles can get stuck in the heart and cause a massive heart attack (VERY RARE), iam injecting the same as you and it has bubbles EVERY time,, actually i have even had a bubble in a injection into my vien before too.....

so to be honest,,, worry about treating the CH instead of bubbles in the needle! lol
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2010 at 12:06am by Daniel Cook »  

IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 12:49am

Makes it burn a lot more with the air!  I would take it out! 
Makes for a happier injection point!  Less black and blue's too.

You don't want to shoot Imitrex in to the muscle it is not to
be injected deeper than 1/4" Skin and fat baby! If you shoot
muscle you will get some new sensations.

Not a big deal just a comfort issue.  And I'm a wuss!  Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2010 at 12:53am by boski »  

IP Logged

Kate
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 2:36am

I use DHE-45 injections. As others have said, I have also been told a little air may make the injections a little uncomfortable, or it may bleed a little more. I believe this is true for all types of injections. The nurse who taught me how to give myself the injection said that it's not like it is in the movies where a small air bubble will kill you. You would need to inject much more air, at least half a syringe, for it to be potentially life threatening. She gave me the tip of tapping the air bubbles to the top of the syringe, then pushing on the plunger of the syringe until the air bubbles come out and you can see the chamber of the needle filled with DHE/Imitrex.

IP Logged

kdeen0201
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 9:37am

Thank you everybody. I just wasn't sure. I feel safe to inject all the dose, even with a bubble. Again, I think it's too precious to waste even a drop.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!