Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Melatonin (Read 11030 times)
kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Re: Melatonin
Reply #25 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 7:20pm

Am thinking about giving this a try. At 38 yrs old and 140 lbs I am thinking about 10 mg 1 hour before bed. Does this sound right?

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #26 - Sep 4th, 2010 at 11:28pm

Yep Kika, it does.   I have never had the morning grogginess that others have said, but if you do then start a little bit more than an hour before bedtime.

If you do well with that...up the doseage a bit.  They can be broken in half if need be.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #27 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 3:36pm

Just a thought for those for whom melatonin hasn't worked.  Sometimes, less is more.

Melatonin is interesting stuff.  As a sleep aid, it's well established that a very small dose works better than a larger amount.  1/2 mg will consistently work better than 5 or 10 mg.  I don't know if the same could be true for some people when using it to prevent CH.

I use 10 mg at bedtime (along with the other stuff I listed in my post above) for my own treatment, but a couple of others have said it seems to work as well with 5 mg or less.  So, if it's not working well for you at fairly high doses, it might be worth a try lowering the dose for a while and see if that helps.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

steph45
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Nottingham
Reply #28 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:04pm

Hi, i'm 5ft 7" and weigh 158lbs (11stone 4lbs)

I take 12mg of Melatonin

This is the brand i use - i have tried 2/3 others and they didnt work well for me, i think it may be because in the ingredients: it also as

• Vitamin B-6 (from Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 10mg
• Calcium (from Calcium Carbonate) 63mg

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #29 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:12pm

Another girl for my stats! Thanks, glad you're getting some pain free time. Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #30 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 5:14pm

Guiseppi wrote on Sep 3rd, 2010 at 10:14am:
...you would be hard pressed to find anyone who does more...on a day to day basis...to help total strangers with CH.

Agreed! I know first hand of this 95 lb. powerhouse's behind the scenes rescue operations and will never forget it!  Smiley

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #31 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 6:39pm

kika wrote on Sep 4th, 2010 at 7:20pm:
Am thinking about giving this a try. At 38 yrs old and 140 lbs I am thinking about 10 mg 1 hour before bed. Does this sound right?

Well 5 mg is the highest dose the drugstore carried and it seems to work, haven't woken with a hit in 2 days, but holy CRAP  am I dragging all day!
Think I'll see if 3 mg will work too.

Does anyone else feel tired all the next day?

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #32 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 7:17pm

kika wrote on Sep 7th, 2010 at 6:39pm:

Sometimes if beginning use, effects can kick harder, last longer.  It may not always drag so persistently.  Like a new flavored toothpaste, it tastes fresh and flavorful the first few brushings, then becomes unnnoticed. 

The "less is more" is a different thought.  I seem to be having trouble with consistency between brands to even get the sandman to visit sometimes, so don't have any usage parallels with helpful parameters.

IP Logged

chbob04
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #33 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 8:51pm

I commented on August 30 that I was taking 10 Mg Melatonin (includes 20 Mg B6). Fortunately my cycle seems to have ended, and I stopped taking the Melatonin on a nightly basis.

I did take it a couple of times since, and noticed that those nights I had a really difficult time getting to sleep. It was almost as if the Melatonin was acting as a stimulant.

So, I sure hope that the stuff has a really long shelf life.  Smiley

IP Logged

his wife
CH.com Old Timer

The sweetest sound is
my children's laughter

Reply #34 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 9:27pm

Guiseppi wrote on Sep 3rd, 2010 at 10:14am:
I'll make her blush and probably get her mad at me....but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who does more...on a day to day basis...to help total strangers with CH. Smiley Smiley

Joe

AMEN to That!!  Smiley

Hubby is 48, 5'10", 190 lbs., 10-15 mg time released.  Hit & miss success.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #35 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 9:49pm

chbob04 wrote on Sep 9th, 2010 at 8:51pm:
I commented on August 30 that I was taking 10 Mg Melatonin (includes 20 Mg B6). Fortunately my cycle seems to have ended, and I stopped taking the Melatonin on a nightly basis.

I did take it a couple of times since, and noticed that those nights I had a really difficult time getting to sleep. It was almost as if the Melatonin was acting as a stimulant.

2mg of B6 per tablet is 100% daily value, that's a thousand!

I work nights, sleep in daylight and feel the same effect a lot of times.  I usually have a boring book on hand, or ask the girl to tell me about her day.  She offers to swing a shovel.     Smiley

IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #36 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 7:00pm

hi,

i take it at night,  5mg before bed.  40yr old female, 5'8", 150lbs.  It helps me sleep and helps with nightime hits.  Not a miracle, but it helps

christine

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #37 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:17am

kika wrote on Sep 7th, 2010 at 6:39pm:
[quote author=43414349280 link=1283174807/25#25 date=1283642417]

That's why they invented coffee.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #38 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:19am

Take the B6 in the morning.  That is probably what is keeping you up.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

chbob04
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #39 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 7:26pm

Agostino Leyre wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:19am:

Wish I could, but the B6 and the Melatonin are in the same tablet. I am not sure how common this is, mixing Melatonin and B6 in the same dose.  Smiley

IP Logged

crisjensdad
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Upstate New York
Reply #40 - Sep 13th, 2010 at 8:32pm

45 year old male,200lbs,chronic sufferer, 3-6mg every night half hour before bed, when bad cycles come 6-9 mg half hour before bed and one Indomethacin 25 mg.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #41 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 8:20am

Quote:
Wish I could, but the B6 and the Melatonin are in the same tablet. I am not sure how common this is, mixing Melatonin and B6 in the same dose.

The brand I use has B6 and calcium additives. On top of that, I've been taking a super B complex each morning. Maybe overkill but so far the cocktail works. I'll keep at it until it don't. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #42 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 9:14am

chbob04 wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 7:26pm:
Agostino Leyre wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 9:19am:

Wish I could, but the B6 and the Melatonin are in the same tablet. I am not sure how common this is, mixing Melatonin and B6 in the same dose.  Smiley

Not common at all.  You should be able to find a brand that doesn't have the B6 in it.  I would buy some B complex and take in the am though.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #43 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 10:07am

chbob04 wrote on Sep 13th, 2010 at 7:26pm:
the B6 and the Melatonin are in the same tablet.

For some reason Rite Aid's brand has this.  I've been looking for a new brand and bought some warily searching from the label for an authentic melatonin, shortly finding what may be the B6 disturbing the desired affect. 

Along with the dissatisfaction of my previous brand, four bottles of stuff that seem useless sit because of 2 for 1 sales.

Any brands mentioned doing some sleepy good appreciated.  Insomnia can wear thin when tired but wasting free time when working nights and sleeping days.  Don't like to gamble with what's circadianly tempting for CH either.

IP Logged

Jack
CH.com Junior

clstrfckt

Reply #44 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 10:38pm

39 year old male, 6', 200 (ish) pounds, 5mg Melatonin one hour before bedtime. No dice. Totally groggy the next day.

IP Logged

reptile
CH.com Junior

life is the school; love
is the lesson

x0|Venice|||0|0|CA,California
Reply #45 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 1:23am

I was considering Jim's "treatment" as I am living tethered to my O2 tanks, but in researching St. John's Wort have read that it is not to be taken if one also uses any triptans--which I do, as it is the only way I can get any sleep these days. (Relpex gives me a solid 7 to 7.5 hours consistently.)  I would love it if I could get Melatonin alone to do the job, but it isn't these days.

I consider biting the bullet and going off Relpax, but the pain is intolerable--I needn't describe it, of course.  I would do it for sure if I had some sense that after clearing the triiptans out of my system for a few days I stood a good probability of have Jim's treatment work, but we all respond differently to these things.  Does it matter that I also take a good amount of Topamax (which used to work, but isn't now)?

thanks,

thee reptile

thee werido still known by some as thee reptile

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #46 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 8:30am

Quote:
Does it matter that I also take a good amount of Topamax (which used to work, but isn't now)?

You're wise to be careful of mixing Rx meds with OTC remedies. There can be interactions. If you're uncertain we've done some research which can be found on the site, but there's always room for more. As to tope used to but ain't working now-yeah, it's common for the beast to morph or for our bodies to habituate to the drug. That's why we keep alternatives around-for a fall back position.

As to the melatonin-since my hits are mostly shadow hits now, aborted quickly with Monster and O2, I've decided to reduce my daily nighttime Melatonin from 15mgs to 10mgs. I'll let all ya'll know if there's anything worth reporting. Blessings! lance

IP Logged

dkfreese
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #47 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 6:40pm

Hello,

I am completely new to this site and board but hit upon your melatonin topic right away.  I have been on a cluster since late July, my neurologist moved out of town so I am having to "train" a new doctor otherwise would have already done a predinisone burst and hopefully been done with this bout. 

Anyway, female, 41 years old, 172 lbs.  Started taking melatonin 3 nights ago, 3 mg about 30 min before bedtime and haven't been woken up with a night attack yet, of course it's only been three days...in addition, it's really helped my sleeping which has never been good anyway and I only feel slightly groggy the next morning.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #48 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 9:58pm

Glad you checked in freeze. I take it you're one of the lucky ones and a pred burst will halt an entire cycle? That's great news...boy I'd certainly consider keeping a stockpile of pred on hand! Wink

Pred will keep the beast at bay for me but as soon as the pred stops, the beast comes back with a vengeance. Do you have access to oxygen? 6-8 minute abort times for me, many have similar abort times, been a life saver.

Welcome to the board.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

dkfreese
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #49 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 10:58pm

The pred worked when I was young - started clusters as a teenager.  Then it quit working (but not until it apparently ruined my tendons!  I've ruptured both achilles and had numerous bouts of tendonitis in hands, wrists, elbow, shoulder and knees).  I was on numerous other therapies then got on verapamil which also worked great for a number of cycles, but now seems to be less effective.  Went back to pred two clusters ago and it worked great again.  I'll take the tendonitis over the cluster pain.

I've tried O2 in the past without success, but now I'm not sure I was doing it right.  Currently take Treximet with mixed success.

I'm really glad I found this site!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!