Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Glad to find so many people who know the beast! (Read 2204 times)
+Danny Boy+
CH.com Newbie

I love morels

Minnesota
Glad to find so many people who know the beast!
Aug 29th, 2010 at 6:48pm

Hi everybody! My name is Daniel. I am 35 yeaRS OLD AND I HAVE MY CH'S IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER! Just kiddin about the van any way. I have had them since I was 16 or so. I always suffered thru them because i hated the thought of going to the doc for anything. I have been seeking medical help with them for the last 5 years. I take Verapamil, oxygen, and Butorpahanol. ALso I use an ice pack during an attack. It seems that showers help too. I alternate from very hot to extremely cold water during the siezure. Im a left sider. I was having an episode during this time last year. I am actually not having an episode right now but I am expecting a visit soon. I am glad to have found this sight. I will definitely use it on those long nights. I usually have one at 3 in the morning during my episodes so I will definitely be on here after it breaks. My worst one ever was after playing hockey (which I will not let CH's stop me from doing it is too important to me) one night last winter. I was driving home not sure if Iwas going to make it or not. It was one of those that sticks out in your mind as a particularly bad one. I have several but that one was the worst. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.

The great thing about cluster headaches is..... uh....uhh...

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Glad to find so many people who know the beast!
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 7:02pm

+Danny Boy+ wrote on Aug 29th, 2010 at 6:48pm:
...It seems that showers help too. I alternate from very hot to extremely cold water during the siezure...

I'm with you on that one, Danny Boy. Managed to get it a bit wrong during a bad one, scalded all my scalp and half my hair fell out, and I didn't even realise until morning.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 9:03pm

Hi Danny, my name is Linda and I approve of this message.   Wink

You spoke of a really bad one driving home.  Driving during an attack is akin to driving drunk or on drugs.  Even worse I think.  Please pull over, get off the highway and pull into a safe quiet place til it's over.  I would hate to think of you getting into an accident and causing harm to yourself or others.

I'm glad to hear that you are not about to give up on the things you love to do because of this condition.  Way-to-go and a big high-five to ya.

You got some reading to do my friend.  Start with the links to the left that apply to you, especially the oxygen link.  We'll be here to answer questions and
we'll leave the light on. Wink

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

+Danny Boy+
CH.com Newbie

I love morels

Minnesota
Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 9:17pm

Hi Linda Thanks for replying! YEah I should not have been driving. I think my top speed was 15 mph because I couldn't even see. I was almost home though so I went for it. As soon as I got home I literally crawled into the house. I woke up my wife and told her i was having the worst one ever. Anyway that is just one of the real bad ones. There are hundreds of others. I can't believe i went so long with these without seeking medical help (not that I get much help ). This affliction is truly a curse. I keep reading that people wouldn't wish this on their worst enemy. This is true. Other than this I am very fit and healthy. It is I believe the worst pain a person can experience. I am 6' 6" tall , weigh 275 and am in very good shape. These cluster headaches reduce me to a whimpering , crying little baby. It is not pretty. I have had people ask me if I am dying during an attack. I am a teacher of construction and have been in the construction trades all my life. One time while not payoing attention to what I was doing i shot two fingers into a 2 by 4 with an old nail gun. I merely smiled and cut myself loose with a pair of linemans pliers, then went to the emergency room to have the nail removed. I am telling you this to indicate what a high pain threshhold I have. But I don't want anything to do with CH's. It is horrible, excruciating pain, and you know that you are in it for at least 2 months, every day  at least 2 a day. Why  me?  Dan

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 10:10pm

Welcome to the board Danny....knowledge is power....read the oxygen link on the left and make sure you're maximizing it's effectiveness...glad you found us.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 12:18am

Hey Danny Boy - your nail gun story reminds me of a guy I knew who was a finish carpenter by day.

He had his armed nail gun in his lap while crouching and yep.... it went off.

He staggered hunched over into the other room where the other workers were and yelled "I just shot myself in my &*%$! with my nail gun"

There was a brief stunned silence before before they all burst out into uproarious laughter! he had to go to the emergency room too to have the nail removed....he eventually made a full recovery though.

Sounds like you still suffer through a lot of attacks during an episode. That sux mightily. I really have to wonder if some major improvements could be made there.

Are you using the newer style of hi flow/non rebreather O2 as outlined at the oxygen info link?

Some CH'ers especially ones like you who are not currently in an episode have been reporting that "busting" has shut down entire cycles for them cold. It's an approach that is making quite a splash - here's a video talk by one of our fellow CH'ers on the subject: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2010 at 12:19am by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 6:45am

Hi DannyBoy and Welcome!

I can relate to the driving with a nasty CH hit, I've had to do that a few too many times.   All I can think of when it happens is God get me home in one piece!

Glad you found us and so sorry you had to.  Read all you can here and enjoy the new friendships you make.

Sending PF Vibes your way!
Ging...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:27pm

+Danny Boy+ wrote on Aug 29th, 2010 at 9:17pm:
I can't believe i went so long with these without seeking medical help (not that I get much help ).

I can.  I don't really believe in the medical community for this condition.  You can get so much more help here and on the busters website. 

Sometimes you are just driving when it happens and you aren't in a place to safely pull over.  Been flying too (before I knew what ch's were), harder to pull over. Wink

--Shaggy Angry

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:59pm

Sometimes you are just driving when it happens and you aren't in a place to safely pull over.  Been flying too (before I knew what ch's were), harder to pull over.

--Shaggy

Can't put the damned thing in neutral and idle for a couple??? Grin

Joe

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 11:29pm

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:59pm:
Sometimes you are just driving when it happens and you aren't in a place to safely pull over.  Been flying too (before I knew what ch's were), harder to pull over.

--Shaggy

Politicians do that all the time. Or are you not talking about their brains but a plane?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 7:48am

Mike NZ wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 11:29pm:
Guiseppi wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:59pm:

--Shaggy

Politicians do that all the time. Or are you not talking about their brains but a plane?

Grin Grin Grin

Joe

IP Logged

Kate
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 4:04am

I know the terror of getting an attack while driving too. I try to plan driving around an attack when I'm in cycle, but I often fail and it completely skips my mind. (Maybe that was also the effect of the topamax when I was on it  Grin ) I used to have this happen frequently when I would have a 2 hour drive home from my university. I would always keep a migranal spray in the car, as I didn't feel it was as sterile to get a needle of DHE set up in my car. One I fill my o2 in a few days, that will probably be my new go-to treatment in the car (and at home).

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 8:42am

Before I retired I kept a tank in the trunk of my cruiser while working. Feel beasty scratching, throw the tank in the front seat, and huff away for 10 minutes. Good as new and back on the beat again! Wink

Joe

IP Logged

+Danny Boy+
CH.com Newbie

I love morels

Minnesota
Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 11:11am

I just remembered another one I had while driving. I ran a Schwans route one time for a couple of years. Anyway I was on my way back to the depot after a two day route. It was about 30 below zero (no exxageration), and my truck ran out of propane right on hwy 2. I was about 30 miles from the depot. I got out and switched over to the other tank, nothing. It was empty too. It was my fault yes I should have put more propane in the day before. It's kind of difficult to find a service station that will sell propane for a truck but the day before I had actually put in 20 gallons because I knew I had to to be able to finish the route. Should have put in 40 though. ANyway here I was a dead truck so no heat, 30 below, wind blowing, getting colder and colder, and guess who shows up yep the beast. I guess he wanted some ice cream or somethin hahaha. While waiting for a semi truck wrecker to tow my truck back to the depot I had one of the worst CHs ever. That one lasted a solid hour and it was mind boggling how painful it was. That was before I had sought medical help with them and all I had been doing was taking advil migraine and excedrin migraine. Just thought I would share. I wish I had had an O2 bottle with me that time hahahahahaha  Dan

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 11:58am

Getting hit away from home....no meds......ouch...everyone has a few of those stories. major suck. Cry

Joe

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #15 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 8:10am

Quote:
What is the purpose of
my post...THEN hit submit

To get more stars? Cheesy
Sorry Joe. I just noticed your quote. I luv it! lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #16 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 8:49am

Wink

Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!