Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question About Imitrex Tip (Read 1114 times)
Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Question About Imitrex Tip
Aug 25th, 2010 at 1:57am

My sister has used the 6 mg Imitrex with great success for years...she loves it.  Well, I told her about the "Tip" on this site.  She is in cycle right now with a headache around midnight each night.  She decided to try the "Tip."  She used 3 mg at midnight and it worked  Then at 6:30am, which has not been her pattern,  she had another HA.  Then a few hours after that, another one.

Question...has the change to a lower dose ever done this to any of you? 

Her HA's have been like clockwork for 40 years.

Thanks for any info!!!

Joni

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Re: Question About Imitrex Tip
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 2:16am

Well that's not good.  Angry

Kinda sounds like the lower dose is leaving her open to rebounds, doesn't it?

If this was happening to me - especially if I had enough imitrex to spare - I think I'd go right back up to 6 mg doses.

Personally, I didn't experience more rebounds when switching from 6 mg to 3 mg.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:37am

Yep.  Normally I would have one attack 1 1/2 hours after falling asleep.  When I tried the trex tip I was hit every couple of hours throughout the night.  I gave it up and went back to cafergot.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 1:26pm

Didn't act that way for me. But have her go back to full dose and see if it returns to normal.

Peace,

Boski

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 1:33pm

Thanks all!!  I appreciate any experiences and/or advice!

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Art S
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB! But these
Headaches S*ck

Frankfort, KY
Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:11pm

The other advantage to using a third is cost.  Some of us can't afford a full dose when we're getting hit 6-10 times a day.  Personally for me it's a back-up for those that try to break through the O2. Having said that, if I could afford too, I would probably abort more often with it at full strength.  My night time attacks come every time I'm slipping into REM sleep so waking two-three-four times a night isn't uncommon.  One thing I've learned is every cycle is a little different and never like clockwork.  The easiest way for her to find out would be to try the full dose and she'll know.  She could also try just 1/2.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:12pm by Art S »  

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 12:53am

Yeah, she loves Imitrex, too, and that is all she uses.  We generally only have 1 HA a day except for in the middle of our cycles at their peak.  Her cycle is 6 weeks and mine is 8 weeks and have been all along except for when they started years ago and were scattered at first.  She seems to think her cycles are getting a few days shorter as she gets older....she is 62.

Thanks again,
Joni

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!