Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Oxygen Safety (Read 3237 times)
Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Re: Oxygen Safety
Aug 24th, 2010 at 8:09am

When I would take my SCUBA tanks in for refil, they would always place the tank in a tub of cool water while they were filling it to keep the heat of compression down.  Wouldn't hurt for home fillers to do the same.
BTW - I would always walk to the other end of the shop while they were filling my tank, just in case it blew!

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 2:17pm

Would you believe I know multiple people who are on chronic oxygen with a nasal cannula who still smoke cigarettes when using their O2? 

Yell, scold, warn, beg - doesn't matter, they still do it.

Now I use the example of a lady I know who was on chronic O2 and was smoking - O2 caught on fire and burned her airways.  Her external skin was untouched but her trachea was scorched to the point that she died. 

Still, believe it or not, they CONTINUE to smoke when using O2...
Angry

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 4:13pm

Lettucehead wrote on Aug 24th, 2010 at 2:17pm:
Would you believe I know multiple people who are on chronic oxygen with a nasal cannula who still smoke cigarettes when using their O2? 

Now I use the example of a lady I know who was on chronic O2 and was smoking - O2 caught on fire and burned her airways.  Her external skin was untouched but her trachea was scorched to the point that she died. 

Angry

Oxygen doesn't burn so your story doesn't ring quite true.

Potter
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2010 at 4:22pm by Potter »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 4:29pm

Angry

There had to be more to it - Potter's exactly right, oxygen is not a fuel. It's more like a catalyst. When introduced to combustion, it will speed the reaction, but it doesn't burn in the absence of fuel.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 4:50pm

Having responded to a number of house fires, both fatal and otherwise, my guess is she fell asleep smoking, while on 02. So instead of the usual slow burn smolder, death by smoke inhalation, everything else burns in the resulting fire fires, which claim many elderly smokers.......she had the roman candle, oxygen fed, smoke in bed fire!!!!

Just an educated guess....which makes it ring true to me.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 4:52pm

I worked 3 fatalities where people were sitting on their couch/chair smoking and using 02. All 3 were burned beyond recognition.

I am sure their clothes were saturated with the 02 and when the flame or dropped cigarette  hit the 02 they were instantly on fire.

So smoking while puffing 02 is still dangerous.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 5:25pm

No doubt it's a really stupid thing to do. Clothing, skin, hair, upholstery, carpet, wood structure - it's all fuel. And when you introduce pure O2 into the equation, it's a recipe for disaster.

Just ask Gus Grissom, Ed White, and Roger Chaffee (oh, wait. you can't). It was the disaster on the launch pad of Apollo I that NASA learned what a bad idea it is to pressurize a space capsule with pure O2.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 5:48pm

The opening scene from Apollo 13...... Cry

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 7:11pm

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 24th, 2010 at 5:48pm:
The opening scene from Apollo 13...... Cry

Even worse, I'm sure, in real life.

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 9:48pm

How about this -

We found her on the floor next to her chair which had some scorch marks on it.  Her collar was scorched.  Looking back, I think her eyebrows and eyelashes were also scortched, but her skin was not burned on her face.  She had the butt of a cigarette near her body.  She was conscious but not coherent.  The nasal cannula had been knocked out of her nose and her O2 tank had run out.  Her blood o2 saturation was in the high 60s to low 70s.  She was laboring to breathe.
At the hospital, she died within hours.  Her hospitalists felt that she died of hypoxia exacerbated by tracheal and lung edema consistent with burns.

As for what exactly happened, we may never know as there were no witnesses...

Ahem, but the point remains - it is NOT a good idea to smoke with O2.  (Which I'm quite sure is what Potter was trying to get at...)

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:57pm

Potter wrote on Aug 24th, 2010 at 4:13pm:
Would you believe I know multiple people who are on chronic oxygen with a nasal cannula who still smoke cigarettes when using their O2?...

Now I use the example of a lady I know who was on chronic O2 and was smoking - O2 caught on fire and burned her airways.  Her external skin was untouched but her trachea was scorched to the point that she died...

Oxygen doesn't burn so your story doesn't ring quite true.

Potter

Actually, her story rings absolutely true, except for the misstatement that the "O2 caught on fire".  True, O2 doesn't actually burn, but the end result is pretty much the same.

Oxygen doesn't "burn", but bedding, plastic tubing & masks, and the tissue in your trachea and lungs does, and in a pure O2 atmosphere, will burn like a pile of matchheads.  Even the cigarette smoke is a highly flammable gas when mixed with pure O2 - not to mention the plastic vapors given off once a fire starts.

Medical O2 is involved in about 1200 burns and 46 fatalities a year, with 3/4 of the fires caused by smoking.  Smoking while using O2 is stupid beyond description.

OK, O2 is a wonder drug for aborting CH, but downplaying the danger of unsafe use is not doing anyone a favor.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:07pm

Jim is right.

Signed,
Jim

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:33pm

Kilowatt3 wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:57pm:
...but downplaying the danger of unsafe use is not doing anyone a favor.

I'm having trouble finding where anyone downplayed the danger of unsafe use of O2 in this thread.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 10:12pm

Jimi wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:07pm:
Jim is right.

Signed,
Jim

And my man Jimi would know! Wink

Joe

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #14 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 2:57pm

Brew wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:33pm:
Kilowatt3 wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 7:57pm:
...but downplaying the danger of unsafe use is not doing anyone a favor.

I'm having trouble finding where anyone downplayed the danger of unsafe use of O2 in this thread.

Whether it's intentional or not, comments like "Oxygen doesn't burn so your story doesn't ring quite true" and "There had to be more to it - ...oxygen is not a fuel" DO downplay the dangers.

A lot of people will read these statements and, due to a poor understanding of the chemistry involved, will conclude that since oxygen "doesn't burn", it's not dangerous.  They will use this to rationalize smoking while on O2, and some, sooner or later, will be horribly burned or killed as a result.

The comment, "...oxygen is not a fuel. It's more like a catalyst. When introduced to combustion, it will speed the reaction, but it doesn't burn in the absence of fuel" is meaningless, since no one has EVER used medical oxygen "in the absence of fuel".  As I said before, bedding, plastic tubing & masks, and the tissue in your trachea and lungs ARE fuel, and in a pure O2 atmosphere, will burn violently.  I failed to mention your hair and skin, whatever reading materials you might have in the bed, and the paint on the walls.

BTW - Oxygen is an oxidizer.  It is not even remotely "like a catalyst" in a fire.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't use O2 to abort a CH, or for any other legitimate medical use, but disregarding the risks, using it carelessly, and particularly, smoking while using it is downright suicidal.  You shouldn't even smoke in the same house where O2 is in use, ever.  You don't have to take my word for it - just go down to your local burn ward, plastic surgeon, or coroner's office and ask around.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #15 - Aug 28th, 2010 at 2:59pm

Thanks for the clarification.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #16 - Aug 29th, 2010 at 12:40am

Many years ago at university I saw a demonstration done where a slice of bread was dipped into liquid oxygen and then ignited. It burned incredibly well, so much so that you got nothing left.

The lecturer then took another slice, soaked it in liquid oxygen and put it into a toaster which was then turned on. The result was a partially molten toaster.

The lecturer did a few other things to really show you how potentially safe looking things could turn rather nasty if you weren't careful. As you can imagine, people were rather careful in the labs after seeing this live demonstration.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!