Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to Site (Read 1718 times)
KCDizzy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New to Site
Aug 17th, 2010 at 10:57am

I just found this website and have spent a few hours reading the information and posts here.  I hope you all know what a godsend this site is.  I’ve been suffering with episodic CH for the past 28 years, since I was 8-years old.  Anywhere from a few days to 30 days a year are lost to this.  It’s pretty much controlled my life since I never know when they will hit and thus can’t pursue employment or recreation that requires me to be depended on.  I’ve never meet another person with CH or even anyone who knew what it was.  I have to tell people that I get really bad migraines or they give me a blank stare.

When I was younger I visited many doctors about these headaches.  I was diagnosed with everything from tension headaches to optical migraines to regular migraines – even though my symptoms don’t match any of those conditions.  I’ve been put on many different medications that never did anything to help – some I swore made them happen more often.  It wasn’t until a few years ago that I heard about Clusters and realized that is what I have.  I’ve just learned over the years to hang on when the “Beast” comes and it will eventually go away.  Mine often last for a few hours fluctuating between 8 to 10.  I concentrate on making it through the next minute, then after that making it through the next minute, and so on – and I make it through.  They make me so dizzy and dumb that I can barely walk and can’t think straight at all.

I’ve been fired from numerous jobs because of this.  Most of the time when they occur, I wake in the morning and it’s in full swing.  When they end, I’m so exhausted that I pass out.  Thankfully that is usually it and I awake a few hours later feeling like I just ran a marathon, but out of pain.  But sometimes I awake in the middle of another one.  Of course, I’m not even able to make a phone call during it – frankly it never even crosses my mind.  The only thing on my mind is the pain.  I’ve rarely had a boss that understood, so I’m usually fired before I even get a chance to call them.  The legally conscience ones don’t fire me right away, but find some lame reason to fire me for in the next month – especially if it happens more than once.  I guess I can’t really blame them – there is no way they can understand what I go through.  And it’s not like I mention it before I’m hired – or no one would ever hire me.  That is the main reason I scrape out a living working for myself now.  Losing one client is better than losing my entire source of income.  Plus, clients are usually more understanding than bosses.

I guess one good part of this is that it has given me a very high tolerance for pain.  I don’t take pain killers, even after a couple of surgeries that I’ve had in my life – because the pain pales in comparison.

While I don’t think I can go to doctor, since I don’t have the money and don’t have insurance, I’m going to try some of the tips on this site.  If anyone knows – if I got insurance and went to a doctor, would this be considered a pre-existing condition and thus not covered?

Thank you for this site.  For the first time in 28 years, I feel like I’m not alone and someone else in the world understands. 

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: New to Site
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 11:20am

For the un or under insured, oxygen is actually failry cheap. A regulator can be bought off E-Bay for as little as $20. A re breather mask about the same. Then it's renting E-Tanks for $5 a month, and $12-$15 per refill. 32 year sufferer and oxygen is still my first line abort, will kill most attacks in 6-10 minutes.

Try the energy drinks as an abortive, I use Red Bull but any containing Caffeine and Taurine are effective, chug it down at the first hint of an attack.

An OTC med, Melatonin, it's a sleep aid, helps many to avoid the night time hits. Srt with 6-9 mg at bed time, takes a week or two to become effctive for many.

Welcome to the board.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 12:01pm

Welcome KCDizzle-Dawg! Your story is pretty much all of our stories.  No insurance? No problem.  Do Joe's welders oxygen/internet regulator and mask trick.  Don't waste your time and dignity begging oxygen off a doctor who won't prescribe it anyways.  Yes, I am a cynic after reading everyone's horrible experiences with that subject. 

Melatonin for nighttime hits as suggested in many threads here.  Caffeine for daytime hits.  Go to Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register to break your current cycle and avoid the rest.  Sister website advocates for 'alternative' medicines that work great, cheap, just not legal (but readily available). 

There is a good "letter to employers" letter to check out and send to people you need to inform about your condition.  It is on this website, look around to find it.

Hang in there Dizzy, you'll be back in action in no time at all.  And more importantly is preparing for the next time so it will be mostly pain free and small kip'ers. Smiley

--Shaggy Angry

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 12:32pm

First, tell us where you live. Resources vary with locale and it's difficult to give specific help without this info.

If you don't have health insurance you will have to give your history when applying and, yes, Cluster will be a preexisting condition. Whether it's excluded depends on the company.

First option: search your local medical resources for no or low cost care. Inquire at the social services office at your hospitals (larger the better); ask at your local health department, at the United Way organization office.

If you have access to a GP who will negotiate fees with you AND he is open to accepting MEDICAL literature which we can supply, he could learn how to treat Cluster and be the source of the meds which help the most.

Explore the buttons (left), starting with OUCH, where you will find many useful leads; ditto for the top of one of these message sections where there is a collection of messages on self-help. A good self-help book:

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15.
---
Learning what you are dealing with is critical.

Cluster headache.
From: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases)
[Easy to read; one of the better overview articles I've seen. Suggest printing the full length article--link, line above--if you are serious about keeping a good medical library on the subject.]

Leroux E, Ducros A.

ABSTRACT: Cluster headache (CH) is a primary headache disease characterized by recurrent short-lasting attacks (15 to 180 minutes) of excruciating unilateral periorbital pain accompanied by ipsilateral autonomic signs (lacrimation, nasal congestion, ptosis, miosis, lid edema, redness of the eye). It affects young adults, predominantly males. Prevalence is estimated at 0.5-1.0/1,000. CH has a circannual and circadian periodicity, attacks being clustered (hence the name) in bouts that can occur during specific months of the year. ALCOHOL IS THE ONLY DIETARY TRIGGER OF CH, STRONG ODORS (MAINLY SOLVENTS AND CIGARETTE SMOKE) AND NAPPING MAY ALSO TRIGGER CH ATTACKS. During bouts, attacks may happen at precise hours, especially during the night. During the attacks, patients tend to be restless. CH may be episodic or chronic, depending on the presence of remission periods. CH IS ASSOCIATED WITH TRIGEMINOVASCULAR ACTIVATION AND NEUROENDOCRINE AND VEGETATIVE DISTURBANCES, HOWEVER, THE PRECISE CAUSATIVE MECHANISMS REMAIN UNKNOWN. Involvement of the hypothalamus (a structure regulating endocrine function and sleep-wake rhythms) has been confirmed, explaining, at least in part, the cyclic aspects of CH. The disease is familial in about 10% of cases. Genetic factors play a role in CH susceptibility, and a causative role has been suggested for the hypocretin receptor gene. Diagnosis is clinical. Differential diagnoses include other primary headache diseases such as migraine, paroxysmal hemicrania and SUNCT syndrome. At present, there is no curative treatment. There are efficient treatments to shorten the painful attacks (acute treatments) and to reduce the number of daily attacks (prophylactic treatments). Acute treatment is based on subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan and high-flow oxygen. Verapamil, lithium, methysergide, prednisone, greater occipital nerve blocks and topiramate may be used for prophylaxis. In refractory cases, deep-brain stimulation of the hypothalamus and greater occipital nerve stimulators have been tried in experimental settings.THE DISEASE COURSE OVER A LIFETIME IS UNPREDICTABLE. Some patients have only one period of attacks, while in others the disease evolves from episodic to chronic form.

PMID: 18651939 [PubMed]
====
Give us a listing of what you have tried to abort/control your attacks. How much, how long used, results, etc. No need to reinvent the wheel by suggesting approaches which you have already tried.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 7:57pm

Just wanted to say hi and welcome - glad you found us!  Looks like you've been given some great advice already.  I too swear by oxygen and highly recommend you go that route.  I understand how hard it can be workwise having to deal with these... but have found that "letter to employer" has been helpful with tutors and lecturers at uni.  Well worth printing out.

Hope things start to improve for you soon!

Kate

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 1:03pm

If anyone knows – if I got insurance and went to a doctor, would this be considered a pre-existing condition and thus not covered?

I can't answer that question but, if I was in your place, After I got insurance I would see a doctor and explain I was just starting to get bad headaches. I would not say the headaches have been coming on for a long time. I would not try to say anything that might let on that the headaches are a pre-exiting condition.
This might sound unethical, lying, immoral and maybe unlawful but, what the hell, you’re in pain and need help.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 1:38pm

One of the provisions of the health care reform due to go into effect soon is the prohibition of excluding coverage based on pre existing conditions. It doesn't go into effect for another year or two, but will help many such as yourself.

Joe

IP Logged

shellcory
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Victoria, Australia
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 11:23pm

Hi, just want to say welcome!
All of the information here is priceless, the people are wonderful and will understand where your coming from!
Remember information is power!
Goodluck with your journey, you are not alone anymore.

Regards Shell Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

KCDizzy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 8:41pm

Thank you all for the replies.  I live in Alexandria, VA.  I am getting the oxygen and hope that works for me.  I've tried Melatonin before, but it leaves me so tired the next day, that I only tried it a few times.  I've often thought that I drink too much Diet Coke, but that may be keeping these from occuring as often - hmmm, which is worse?  Maybe I'll cut back on the Diet Coke, like I know I should, and drink one energy drink each day.

As far as the not so legal remedies, I wouldn't know where to get what Clusterbusters mentions.  I've read that the people on this site claim that the MJ doesn't work, but I've found it does on the less severe ones.  But access to that, when they occur, is rare for me.

So it looks like oxygen, when they occur, and an energy drink a day is my plan for now.  I'll let you know how it goes.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 8:56pm

Be real careful with the weed. It's a vaso-dialator.....for CH'ers that's bad. We primarily use vaso-constrictors to alleviate our pain. Some have found it'll cause a real skull crusher attack! Wink

Joe

IP Logged

KCDizzy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 1:02am

I'm still a little confused on something with the oxygen tanks and could use some good advice.  I don't have medical insurance, so I'm going to have to go the welding oxygen way.  Are all aluminum tanks considered for medical use?  The thought of breathing oxygen out of a steel tank that might have some rust on the inside isn't very appealing.

IP Logged

KCDizzy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 1:14am

After using the right search terms, I think I found the answer to my own question, but would still appreciate others weighing in on this rust thought.  As long as I get a new tank, and never let it get below 50psi, then rust shouldn't develop, right?

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:35am

Don't know about the tanks, someone who does will come along. But as to the diet coke...some of us find caffeine alone will do the trick, but the effectiveness of energy drinks seems to be in the combination of caffeine (85mg) and taurine (1000mg+). Give Red Bull, Monster, 5 Hour etc a try, but not preventatively. I would suggest slamming one at the beginning of an attack, not when you aren't having a hit. And keep in mind this stuff can interact with other prescription meds so it isn't a neutral addition to your diet. Good luck, and God bless! lance

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:29pm

What up KCDizzy?  Yeah, I don't know about the diet coke.  So much nasty crap in there, but I have used the regular coke successfully.  So whatever works.  The cold carbonated water always tastes and feels so good.

I have used it as a preventative.  You can if you know what time your attacks are coming each day.  Caution, because they may try to come back later at a less predictable time.  So 1 energy drink a day could do it, but be ready with a second.  And always weigh that against too many energy drinks in 1 day or too late in the day where you can't sleep etc.  You'll figure out a nice routine I bet. Smiley

Melatonin is good if your are getting whacked by big kippers while you sleep.  Some people don't sleep for 3 months because of the attacks.  I, however am a daytime guy, so no need currently for the melatonin.  Many have success, so keep it in the back of your mind if ever needed. Wink

Make sure you do the oxygen exactly as written on this site and get the proper high flow regulator and mask.  So many people claim it doesn't work for them only to find out it actually does if done like everyone here says. (sorry probably everyone keeps saying that to you). Angry

Clusterbusters:  if you want to try their/our techniques you can easily order the RC seeds online and have them in a few days.  Legal to order and buy, not legal to ingest.  Seeds not as strong as the mushrooms or lsd, but will work.  They also tend to make the oxygen and caffeine routine more effective.  Must be fully detoxed from prescriptions as they block the medicine. Tongue

Enough for now my good clusterhead!  I wish you good luck and god's speed! Cheesy

--Shaggy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!