Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello From New Member, Long Time Sufferer (Read 842 times)
headouchalot
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hello From New Member, Long Time Sufferer
Aug 16th, 2010 at 6:40pm

I just wanted to say hello to everyone on the board.  I've skimmed through some of the information on this site and I'm already learning new things about my condition that I never knew.  I'm so glad to have stumbled on this site because for a while I thought I was going through this type of pain alone. 

I've had these headaches since I was maybe 6 years old when I had an attack.  It wasn't a sequential event but I remember the pain clearly from that age and I know that was my first experience of it.  I've had other singular attacks but my first sequential event was when I was in college and it last for 2 months.  I've had them on and off throughout my life.  I just turned 31 today.

It was only 2-3 years ago that a neurologist nailed down what it was exactly, a cluster headache.  Putting a name on it was a relief to me.  For a while, many physicians thought it was a migraine but it was actually something worse.  But naming it gives me a lot of power and confidence to overcome any attacks.

I can't stop it but I know I can do my best to avoid it.  Usually lack of sleep for a lot of weeks is the culprit mixed with physical or mental stress can be a trigger.  I'm doing what I can to avoid these situations but you can only try.  I'm on week 2 of a set right now and my last set was 2-3 years ago.

I'm really glad I found this place and I have a lot of questions to ask about what I can take to get through these times.  I know zomig nasal spray works for me but I don't know much about the risks with this medication.  I briefly caught some messages about oxygen.  What's that about?  I hope to get know more about everyone here and I feel really lucky to have to found this place.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2010 at 6:42pm by headouchalot »  

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Hello From New Member, Long Time Sufferer
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 6:58pm

G'day, and welcome home.  On the left side of your screen is a yellow button marked 'oxygen info' and it's a great place to start as it's a godsend to many.

Then ask as many questions as you please because we're here to help.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 7:13pm

32 year sufferer here, and the Aussie is right. Take a minute and read that oxygen info link. I feel an attack starting, I began breathing pure oxygen and in 6-8 minutes Iam pain free. Has almost eliminated my need for imitrex injectables, no "drug hangover" no worries of addiction or over use, it's a pretty incredible tool  many of us are using to beat the beast!

Also talk to your doc about a decent preventative regimen. A med you take daily, while in cycle, to reduce the number and intensity of your hits. I use Lithium Verapamil is the typical first round try, and Topomax has a lot of followers too. Lithium will block 60-70% of my attacks most  of the time.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 7:25pm

Just wanted to say hello and welcome.  It's a great feeling to discover that you're not alone, yes?

I too swear by oxygen as my No.1 abortive.  Very worthwhile reading up on that and then speaking to your doctor.

Wishin you all the best,

Kate

IP Logged

shellcory
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Victoria, Australia
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 12:44am

Welcome,

I'm sure you will find all the information you ask for here!
There are many wonderful people here, who understand where your coming from and have a wealth of knowledge that they are happy to share.  Remember Information is power and you just found the "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" with regards to the quality. I can not speak highly enough of the people here. Good luck with your journey through this horrible condition.
                                        Regards Shell Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2010 at 12:45am by shellcory »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!