Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Timing of attacks (re: Imitrex) (Read 1437 times)
mmm3bbb
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|San Francisco|USA||0|0|CA,California
Timing of attacks (re: Imitrex)
Aug 16th, 2010 at 4:59pm

My cycles last 4-5 weeks and occur every few years... in the scheme of things, not so bad compared to many people here.  I've used Imitrex nasal 20mg which works 4/5 times.

Most of time, I get one/day (the nasty 1AM type), although recently I've been getting a couple/day.  What I noticed on Saturday was that I got one at 2PM (after vigorous outdoor exercise), took inhaler and then was woken up with a second one at 1AM.  Sunday, I got one at 6PM and then was woken up with one at 5AM this morning... both of them were exactly 11 hours later.  Coincidence or does Imitrex act as a preventative for some period of time?

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Re: Timing of attacks (Imitrex)
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 5:33pm

One of the 1st hard lessons we learn with CH is that it can and does morph on you.  Just when you think you know what to expect it changes.

Imitrex can cause rebound headaches but I doubt that the 11 hours later is a rebound hit. 

Check out the O2 info. Not sure since you have such a short cycle whether you think it would be worth it but I'm suggesting it anyway. 

Time frames of CH hits can and do fall within certain times of day or night and your Hit times are falling right in those frames.

Hope this Helps!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

mmm3bbb
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 6:50pm

Thanks... I will check out O2.  Is there anything easy to get started with or do you have to go to doctor and get a big scary looking set-up that you have to explain to your dinner guests? Wink

Is there any good source of info about O2 vs. Imitrex... I'm reading through hundreds of posts and it's hard to parse out exactly what the trade-offs are, although it does appear that everyone is saying to try O2 first.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 7:24pm

Quote:
...do you have to go to doctor and get a big scary looking set-up that you have to explain to your dinner guests?

Only if you keep it in your dining room.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 7:24pm

Well you do have to go to your doctor and get a prescription! You need a tank...it holds the 02......a regulator......it lets the 02 out at a flow rate you set....and a Non Re Breather Mask that makes sure you get ONLY oxygen in your lungs.

Any decent medical service will deliver all 3 to your doorstep. I use E-Tanks, that are about the size scuba divers use and are easily hidden from the dinner guests. There are larger tanks some people prefer as obviously you have to exchange them less often....the trade off is they aren't portable and the guests will see them! Some use a combo of both.

My abort times with imitrex injectable and oxygen...are about the same. Advantage to 02 is I don't have that "imitrex hangover" feeling  which I don't like. Disadvantage is for some the headache comes back sooner with 02 then with the Trex. There are strategies for dealing with that though. I find drinking a rock star energy drink while i abort with 02 will keep the comebackers away.

Do read the oxygen info link on the left. Should answer most of your questions and put you at ease with how simple it really is.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 7:48pm

Ditto What Joe Said  Wink

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

mmm3bbb
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 11:17pm

Thanks guys.  I really hadn't noticed Imitrex hangovers before, but with 2/day, I feel pretty, er, fragile.  OTOH, that might be from driving 2 hours trying to get home yesterday with a full-blown attack - "oh my god, oh my god.  F**k!"  over and over again with tears running down my face.  Lesson learned: I'm not leaving the house without a nasal spray!

I'll see how the next several days go, and if I'm not making progress (i.e., going back to one/day), then I'll go chat with Doctor next week and get my O2 setup.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 11:29pm

One more thing to talk to your doc about. Prednisone is a steroid which acts as a great block for many CH'ers. Its downside is long term use is discouraged as it's tough on a lot of your internal organs. For a cycle as short as yours it might be worth doing a pred taper to see if A: It might break your cycle, or B: be such an efefctive prevent as to not require any abortives.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!