Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why narcotics should be a last resort only (Read 12631 times)
Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Why narcotics should be a last resort only
Aug 16th, 2010 at 1:05pm

The other thread seems to have gotten hijacked so I'm going to answer this question in detail here.

Every few months a newbie asks why members of this board are overwhelmingly against narcotics.  The question is so common that I wish that we had a sticky about it.  The short answer is that for most sufferers it's not worth the risk. There are safer and more effective treatments that don't carry the risks of narcotics. 

The long answer follows.

You're not going to find anyone here that's supportive of the idea that you use CH as an excuse to become an addict, which is what some newbies seem to expect.  We don't want people pretending to have CH as a drug seeking behavior ruining treatment for the rest of us. 

If you do have CH we want you to learn to manage your CH as best you can.  We want you to be proactive and not let CH take over your life.  We want you to be as happy as possible.  Addiction and long term happiness are mutually exclusive.

The idea that narcotics have no place at all or are not at all effective is incorrect.  There are many on this board (including myself) who carefully and quietly have included narcotics in their personal treatment plan.  Having said that however, even though I choose to use narcotics even I would stress that they should be used as an EMERGENCY or LAST RESORT treatment ONLY.

Those who are fervently against narcotic use are likely coming from one of four places: 

1) They haven't tried them but believe others who say they have no place
2) They have tried them and are among the majority whom narcotics do not help
3) They have tried them, they were effective temporarily but either through dependency or addiction (these are not the same) they lost effectiveness over time or otherwise had a detrimental effect on their quality of life making them regret using them in the first place
4) They've been a member of this board long enough that they've watched people like me go from seemingly responsible & stable to despondent addicts for whom narcotics no longer work, and they've seen in these people that the consequences of narcotic use are simply not worth it.

If, like most, you have episodic cluster headaches, 1-3 per night that do not otherwise impact your life,  there is probably no scenario in which narcotic treatment is ever worth it.  You know the pain will go away within about an hour even if you do nothing, and in a few more weeks the cycle will be over and you'll forget all about having CH until the next cycle.

If you need treatment, there are options like oxygen that you should try first.  It is cheaper, safer, has no issue with addiction, is natural and is effective for most.

Most non-narcotic treatments are not addictive, are more effective, and do not cause permanent detrimental changes to your brain.  Most other treatments do not detrimentally disrupt the quality of your life to the extent that narcotics do.

Narcotics are not very effective even if you're one of the minority of people for whom they help.  If you take them at the first sign of a headache and with some caffeine, the headache might be reduced from a Kip10 to a Kip 6.  You're still in serious pain, maybe equal to the worst pain you ever experienced before you had CH. 

If you're suicidal and nothing else works narcotics may be worth it, at least temporarily until you can find something that does work.  This is what is meant when people say it could potentially be a stopgap until you find a better treatment.

If you're chronic and averaging 8 or more hits a day, if you're disabled, if you've taken the more than 3 years that it takes to try everything and also rule out every other treatment as either not effective or not worth the side effects, that is the place at which it might be worth it to consider narcotics.  That's the point that even the foremost neurologists in the world are going to steer you towards pain management to try and give you the best life quality possible.

Even for members of this board, that is a rare place to be. At that point you probably know more about CH and treatments and trade offs than your neuro does.  At that point you can decide for yourself whether dependency is a choice you want to make for yourself or if (like me) narcotics are something you use only when your next step is the ER because you've had so many days of nonstop (45 minutes on, 45 minutes off) hits that you're suicidal and you need a break to regain some emotional equilibrium.

No one is going to deny that narcotics are a better option than suicide.  But if there's anything else left to try, there are probably better options than narcotics too. 

That is why no experienced member of this board is going to encourage the use of narcotics for anything other than as a last resort.

Katy

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Re: Why narcotics should be a last resort only
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 3:19pm

I recall the discussions a few years past, replies seeming more than a caution warded at the time, directed frankness entangled involving an interdiction easily construed unfriendly. 

This is by far your best and a good contribution to the subject, Katy.     Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2010 at 3:24pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 4:04pm

thanks for posting this katy. people need to know this. it is seldom mentioned that a few people on this board have been given narcs to deal with the extreme pain and now still have CH and are battling a drug addiction to boot.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 6:55pm

THANK YOU Katy....that's a primer! so well thought out and presented....I am humbled in my ignorance...you can be assured you have saved many from a demon that CAN be avoided....

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 7:16pm

I love cold, hard facts and logic. They're so damned hard to argue with. Nicely done.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 7:34pm

Quote:
I wish that we had a sticky about it. 

in a way, we do.  Svenns "dancing with the Devil" thread is stickied at the top of the Generasl board.  It's an eye-opener..

If one is chronic and using narcotics THEY will certainly be more apt to become addicted than say someone whose cycle only lasts a a couple of months.

I have heard over and over again through the years from people who took a vast amount of narcotics who say it hardly touched the pain BUT made them so groggy, spaced out, etc.  so they couldn't deal with the HA.

Kate, there will always be some here who will argue that it's no big deal, it helped them, blah, blah blah...but the majority of us know the reality of this. 

Good on you for your well-thought out post.   Like Joe said, it's hard to ignore or argue cold hard facts.  (Trust me though.  Some will_   Grin

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 8:02pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 7:34pm:
I have heard over and over again through the years from people who took a vast amount of narcotics who say it hardly touched the pain BUT made them so groggy, spaced out, etc.  so they couldn't deal with the HA.

Before I was diagnosed with CH I was given codeine. It did virtually nothing to kill the pain other than knocking me out after about an hour, but it did give me an addiction (not fun going through the withdrawals), constipation and it made me half asleep both mentally and physically for most of the day.

I for one don't want to touch them again.

IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 8:46pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 7:34pm:
Good on you for your well-thought out post.   Like Joe said, it's hard to ignore or argue cold hard facts.  (Trust me though.  Some will_   Grin

I wonder how often newbies don't have CH at all.  I'm thinking a surprising portion are addicts who google "most painful condition" and find CH that way, thinking they've struck a goldmine because it's something that cannot be disproven.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 10:52am

O.K., I guess I am not following your last thought at all.

WHY would an addict who didn't have CH google most painful condition and come here to post???

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 11:25am

I think her point was a lot of people who claim to have CH are the same who show up at the ER "claiming" to have kidney stones. They surf the net looking for painful conditions that cannot be proven. Then, having gleaned just enough info to sound like they know what they have, they race to the ER claiming to be in the throes of an attack, hoping  for some of that good Schedule II stuff!

Anyone who has ever worked in the ER has had to deal with these twits. They are the reason so many of us are looked upon as drug seeking addicts the first time we showed up in the ER with pain and no observable symptoms.

Joe

IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 12:39pm

Yes, that was exactly my point, Joe.  A few months working in a hospital and color me cynical.

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 12:47pm

Narcotic abuse is a huge problem in medicine.  Medical providers have to walk a fine line between helping people who are in pain and keeping a level of suspicion that they may be played.  It's not a good scenario and creates distrust between provider and patient. 
That being said, my understanding of the current statistics is that up to 30% of all narcotic prescriptions are diverted.  That is a horrible number and unfortunately, it ends up that the people who need help the most with their pain end up paying the price as being regarding as drug seekers or abusers...

Katherine, thank you for your post.  Eloquent and informative.  I, myself, have used narcotics for my CH as a stopgap measure until successful preventative was in place.  For me, it did help a bit.  Sometimes I wonder if some of the help it gave me was more the mental hope that I was taking something and just needed to hold on until it kicked in and that made the immediate pain more bearable. 
In any case, I completely agree that narcotics are not a solution - only (if at all, for most people) a stop gap measure for a week or two until more appropriate measures can be put in place...

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 12:58pm

Sorry, but I also just want to add that we, as a group, may need to consider tempering our reactions to people who post and include narcotics in their treatment plans. 

These people may not be abusers, but simply may be desperate or ignorant about what to do next.  This is a help and support site, people in terrible mental and physical pain come here for help and support.  We can inform and guide about appropriate treatments and guidelines for treatment, but we alienate some of the people who need help the most by immediately antagonizing and jumping on them.

Well, that being said, some of the posters I've seen in the last few months, definitely needed some jumping on, so I guess it's a case by case thing...   Wink

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #13 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 1:17pm

Quote:
These people may not be abusers, but simply may be desperate or ignorant about what to do next.

ABSOLUTELY!  And that is why most of us are only too happy to share our knowledge about what we know and give it to those seeking "what to do next"

The problem with that is,  in SO many cases when we do that...they get defensive, accuse us of being mean, argue their point, rationalize it and then stomp away.  That's when the thread that COULD help and  enlighten...heads south and like Kate says...it happens about every few months.   Roll Eyes

Case in point and I don't often talk about my FS contacts, is an e-mail I just got today to my  Family Services inbox. 

This guy wrote me a 3-page book on how Dr.s have not treated his CH well and so he has been treating himself with 90mg. of Morphine and an occasionally he adds 1/4 grain of cocaine up his nose when it gets really bad.  Even before I answered him he got defensive and said he doesn't care what anyone says...this helps him a little and he wanted me to let everyone know in the hopes it could help them. 

I have no idea of how to answer this person except to say..I'm glad something worked for you.  This guys mind is made up and nothing I say is going to change it.   Undecided

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 1:30pm

I try to have empathy with people like him, in his mind, the ONLY thing that will stop this horrible pain is morphine and coke. Any other option, in his mind, means having horrible pain that no one else can ever understand. Cry

An awful place to be, obviously, our goal is to educate people enough that they never find themselves there.

Joe

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #15 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 1:31pm

Let me ask you something, Kirsten. Does "help and support" = total agreement between the helped/supported and the helper/supporter? Or is there, perhaps, a better definition of "help and support?"

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #16 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 2:08pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Aug 17th, 2010 at 1:17pm:
Quote:
These people may not be abusers, but simply may be desperate or ignorant about what to do next.

ABSOLUTELY!  And that is why most of us are only too happy to share our knowledge about what we know and give it to those seeking "what to do next"

The problem with that is,  in SO many cases when we do that...they get defensive, accuse us of being mean, argue their point, rationalize it and then stomp away.  That's when the thread that COULD help and  enlighten...heads south and like Kate says...it happens about every few months.   Roll Eyes

Case in point and I don't often talk about my FS contacts, is an e-mail I just got today to my  Family Services inbox. 

This guy wrote me a 3-page book on how Dr.s have not treated his CH well and so he has been treating himself with 90mg. of Morphine and an occasionally he adds 1/4 grain of cocaine up his nose when it gets really bad.  Even before I answered him he got defensive and said he doesn't care what anyone says...this helps him a little and he wanted me to let everyone know in the hopes it could help them. 

I have no idea of how to answer this person except to say..I'm glad something worked for you.  This guys mind is made up and nothing I say is going to change it.   Undecided

thats horrible  Cry

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #17 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 4:27pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Aug 17th, 2010 at 1:17pm:
... mind is made up and nothing I say is going to change it.

And when this may seem a characteristic even when open and willing to change, but somehow not transpiring,

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 17th, 2010 at 1:30pm:
Any other option, in his mind, means having horrible pain that no one else can ever understand.

there can be thoughts considered that there is perhaps something being a little too overwhelming convincing going on, operating to prevent change happening just right now.  Even being enslaved by selective thinking.  Wondering if it is the horrible pain added to the fear of the drugs running out that is the continuing need.

IP Logged

The Mad Viking
CH.com Sponsor

Always Look on The Bright
Side of Life

Oslo, Norway
Reply #18 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 4:58pm

All i would say in this matter is to read my thread "Dancing with the devil"Its in the general section locked on the top there
I really dont want anyone ANYONE go trough what i did there.

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life&&
WWW svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
IP Logged

AgentOrange
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 11:33pm

i find narcotics to trigger my ch, hydrocodone darvocet, codeine, and even otc, aspirin and ibuprofen cause more pain than they relieved, i just went through a surgery on my hip, osteo necrosis intervention implant, cut my leg tothe bone and drilled a 10mm hole from the outside to the near end of the femoral ball, and refused pain killers after the surgery and thescript the doc gave me, i left the hospital 4 hours after i woke from surgery since the only reason id be there was for pain management and i got o2 at home Wink if i have pain worse than a cluster id probably take em, but this surgery was a mosquito bite compared to being mauled by the cluster beast

dont get me wrong some people need them to function and get through theyre day but i find narcotics to be useless in my battle and would never recommend them to any cluster head

AO

IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

"L'Chaim"~Hebrew Toast~"To
Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Reply #20 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 7:52am

I really like this post, Katy... Much more balanced and calm than the reactions some have received regarding opioids for cluster headache in the past.

I think it's important for folks to differentiate between tolerance, dependence, and addiction.  I've seen in the past those things used interchangeably here.

Tolerance = The need for a higher dose of opioid (or narcotic) over time to achieve the same effect because your body has become used to the current dose.

Dependence = The body's physiologic need for the drug.  Your receptors change when you take opioids (narcotics) regularly.  Stopping them after being on them for prolonged periods of time leads to withdrawal symptoms.  This is not addiction.  This happens to everyone who takes opioids for an extended period of time.  It requires careful monitoring by a physician/health care provider to handle when weaning off of opioids in a slow and controlled manner.

Addiction = Psychological need for the drug where the person will do anything to get it, even illegal things.  They may do more subtle things, such as seeing different doctors and getting multiple prescriptions, borrowing drugs from friends and family, or escalating to buying narcotic drugs from those selling them on the street, which is extremely dangerous.  People who are addicted to opioids are no longer using them for pain control alone and are using them to treat a psychological need for the drug, craving, or a belief that they have to have it.

Pain management is definitely a last resort, but some folks find they need it for either CH or maybe for another condition.  It is important to always go to the same physician and pharmacy and follow all instructions.  Report any changes being noted.  If your physician prescribes pain management then fails to follow up properly, a new physician should be found.  The vast majority of cluster headache sufferers have reported no difference to their attacks with it, and then are still in pain while also feeling sleepy or other side effects of these medications.

The use of short-acting opioids (narcotics) is a very dangerous road to travel down in CH.  In all likelihood by the time these kick in, the headache is on its way out for most people.  Also, the frequency of cluster headache attacks makes using short-acting opioids not at all ideal.  Short-acting opioids should also rarely to never be used during a pain management plan.  If the pain isn't controlled, better for the physician to increase the dose of the long acting opioid rather than just slap a short acting over it.  This is what leads people down the path to trouble, as they start taking more and more and are on a roller coaster of the drug in their system.  I hate to see anyone use short acting opioids regularly for cluster headache or actually headaches of any kind unless on an absolute rescue basis as a one-time thing.

Carrie

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
Lizzie2 Lizzie2 Lizzie52004 NeoNurseChic  
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #21 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 9:00am

Quote:
I think it's important for folks to differentiate between tolerance, dependence, and addiction.  I've seen in the past those things used interchangeably here.

Tolerance = The need for a higher dose of opioid (or narcotic) over time to achieve the same effect because your body has become used to the current dose.

Dependence = The body's physiologic need for the drug.  Your receptors change when you take opioids (narcotics) regularly.  Stopping them after being on them for prolonged periods of time leads to withdrawal symptoms.  This is not addiction.  This happens to everyone who takes opioids for an extended period of time.  It requires careful monitoring by a physician/health care provider to handle when weaning off of opioids in a slow and controlled manner.

Addiction = Psychological need for the drug where the person will do anything to get it, even illegal things.  They may do more subtle things, such as seeing different doctors and getting multiple prescriptions, borrowing drugs from friends and family, or escalating to buying narcotic drugs from those selling them on the street, which is extremely dangerous.  People who are addicted to opioids are no longer using them for pain control alone and are using them to treat a psychological need for the drug, craving, or a belief that they have to have it.

Not as much disagreeable as simply requiring more to understand perhaps.  Despite different words used, there seems overlapping possibilities between them. 

Tolerance = The need for a higher dose ...

What is the line decided they may be using these for more than pain control, delineating this need for more from psychological need, physiolical need, or abuse when needing more.  Understandably a word useful with an increasing "end of life" pain.

Dependence = The body's physiologic need ...

This may not reflect an also phychological need developed to overcome when weaning off.

Addiction = Psychological need ...

Excluding any physiological need in addiction can be questionable.  What only seems dissimilar is a matter of legality, otherwise a similar boat floating.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2010 at 9:05am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

"L'Chaim"~Hebrew Toast~"To
Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Reply #22 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 1:02pm

Kevin,

It's a matter of stages....  Those who are addicted also have dependence and often tolerance...

Tolerance is usually associated with the fact that pain control is no longer happening at the current dose.  You are correct - people can lie, and then tolerance can get questioned.  But it's a well-studied phenomenon in chronic pain management - not just end of life pain.

Dependence is physiologic.  This does not mean that people may not have anxiety or other psychological issues when weaning off, but it has absolutely zilch to do with psychological craving.  That's where addiction incorporates dependence, not the other way around.  While a lot of people on chronic pain management regimens never seem to get off them, there are those that do, and they often go through brutal withdrawal.  Is it frustrating and anxiety provoking?  Most definitely.  Do they sometimes question whether or not they are ready and want to hang onto taking the med a bit longer?  Certainly can happen.  Does it mean they were addicted?  No... 

Addiction can incorporate all of the above, but is distinct.  Most people who become dependent on opioids for chronic pain are labeled incorrectly as "addicts" by lay people and even some practitioners.  Addiction is a psychiatric disease outlined by the DSM-IV.  People suffering from addiction still have a physiologic need for the drug as well, since they experience withdrawal, but also a psychologic need for it that rises above the meds usefulness for pain.  They may envision that they need more than they do or be taking it to get high or to treat emotional issues, but it's no longer solely for the reason of treating pain.  Addiction is marked by psychologic, and NOT physiologic, however - that is the distinction.  You aren't an addict if you are just physiologically dependent...

It's a major distinction, and most people screw it up, leading to upsetting stigma.

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
Lizzie2 Lizzie2 Lizzie52004 NeoNurseChic  
IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #23 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 8:38pm

excellent distinctions and explanations, lizzie!

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #24 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:08am

Thanks Katy, Svenn, and Carrie.  Well reasoned and said.  I can't agree more, nor do I have anything beyond that said to contribute.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!