Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why narcotics should be a last resort only (Read 12641 times)
Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Why narcotics should be a last resort only
Reply #50 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 11:47pm

I want to assure you, as George has, the moderators are NOT removing posts. We have the authority to hide and lock posts when they get out of control and violate board rules, then DJ makes the final call. No such action has been taken on any of your posts, I think you'll locate them using George's suggestion.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #51 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 12:18am

Starting out many years ago unable to get enough Imitrex for the numerous daily hits, a first prescription to fill in was a certain type of pain killer.  At the time, it helped. 

But it was funny how those who knew me very well, the girl and family, would know immediately when I had taken them.  For me, importantly, pain was relieved and the world was alright again for the time being.

With a job that involved intensive people contact, I became aware job performance reflected some shortcomings, accepted strangely to me.   There's was certainly no need to remove any of your posts. 

Quote:
Here, I can only chuckle and be on my way.

Those that didn't really care chuckled and moved on.  The ones that cared mentioned something I may not have liked to hear.  If listening to what's perceived trash talk may throw off your acumen, realize and get a hold, man.  It can be living with fun when among friends, and those are the enjoyed smiles and chuckles. 

I don't intend to ride a fence here.  Having an open mind and disingenious can go both ways.  I'd pretty much guarantee those here aren't out to do the same and chuckle you away.

Bob P sucks.       Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2010 at 12:26am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #52 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 2:02am

ok could someone name these narcotics so i can understand what the discussion is about.

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #53 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 3:16am

black wrote on Oct 8th, 2010 at 2:02am:
ok could someone name these narcotics so i can understand what the discussion is about.

Whatever they may be it was transitional due to unfamiliarity and can not grasp its outcome of continuance, effective only with first beginning cycles.  I found this site, a better neuro, prevent, and oxygen, ending all around better ... by reading here and listening, unfettered by how it was stated.  Sometimes sense can seem strange, as reading of such success with clusterbusters was in reversion, which DJ doggedly and thankfully remained smartly unremarked about here for so long.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2010 at 3:34am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #54 - Oct 8th, 2010 at 9:22am

Black, both of these threads are addressing the use of pain killing narcotics, as a primary or even secondary treatment of CH. Not any specific narcotic, just the whole class of pain killing narcotics.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #55 - Oct 9th, 2010 at 8:29am

I've seen several posts about the use of narcotics in my short time here. I'm certain those of you who have been here forever have seen many more. It does seem to me there are two sorts who post and look for posts on pain meds: first, those who are looking for some kind of permission to sedate themselves. This includes those who have had enough of pain and just want an escape-me, from time to time over the years; and second, those who are looking for a good attack method and discover the love/hate relationship our medical community have for narcotics, only to discover they don't work on CHs as a rule.

I think it's important to be cautious with the first sort, and compassionate toward the second. I also believe we have walked this tightrope very well.

Joe, you said it another thread. If (and this is by no means a small number of us) one has any experience with the abuse of narcotics in our own lives, or in the lives of loved ones, we are very concerned with those who come to us in desperation. Pain meds can be a wonderful thing, but demonic as well.

Please let us continue as we have been. Supportive, and yet careful, in how we address this very difficult issue. Once again, my friends, I think you are doing a great job. Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #56 - Oct 9th, 2010 at 12:22pm

Quote:
I want to assure you, as George has, the moderators are NOT removing posts. We have the authority to hide and lock posts when they get out of control and violate board rules, then DJ makes the final call. No such action has been taken on any of your posts, I think you'll locate them using George's suggestion.

AND...everyone here has the ability to delete their "OWN" posts.  Not someone elses but their own.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #57 - Jul 14th, 2012 at 10:29am

Bump for Lydia.  Narcotics do work for some people, and when you're in nonstop mode and at the end of your rope it's totally worth it.  You might want to spend some time exploring which narcotics are safer though - my neuro was pushing methadone on me for a while (it's inexpensive), but it's frequently deadly (a Seattle newspaper just won an award for showing how deadly it is), so be very very careful please, and think hard about how many bad headaches you can put up with a day to avoid dependency issues (dependency is not the same thing as addiction, which has an emotional component).

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #58 - Jul 15th, 2012 at 9:20pm

I have been recently prescribed hydrocodone/acetaminophen, but not for CH.  I took it with antibiotics for a possible ear infection post-surgery (and some incredible, CH-producing ear pain).  This coincidental use of narcotics during a CH made it clear that for me, narcotics aren't going to help.

My ear felt fine.  The knife was still embedded in my eyeball, however.  Cry

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

lydia nichole
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Manassas, Virginia
Reply #59 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 9:48am

Thanks Katherine, They don't take away the pain completely in pill form at the ER they work threw IV sometimes.  But they Knock me out so i can can TRY and sleep threw the pain. I unfortunately jinxed myself yesterday and said i thought i was getting relief from the Verapamil and the D3 regimen. But the CH are back again (but i got like a 3 day break !!) since 8pm last night i have had 3 2hour k-8 i gave in last night and took one of the daliadid because i needed to try and sleep a little for work today but im trying to just be tough. But my nausea is getting the best of me now and my Zofran doesn't seem to be able any match to it. I have been trying the oxygen but its not helping because there going from nothing to k-8 in no time. =( this sucks.

Only the strong survive!!!

IP Logged

diefaster
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Anchorage, AK
Reply #60 - Jul 16th, 2012 at 8:46pm

In my time in the military, it's pretty rare that I get seen by a doctor who knows how to treat cluster headaches.  When I tell them that I'm on Verapamil and I want a Prednisone taper, they act like I'm a junkie in for a fix.  It's really annoying.  Today, I had to call a doctor an not a very nice person, because he assumed that I was fishing for narcotics--on a deployment no less.  He straight-up asked me, "so what, you want a handful of oxycontin?"  I told him "no not a very nice person, they probably wouldn't work anyway."  I was just coming off of a headache, so I might have been a little rude...but no less, it's aggrevating.  I don't think it's too much to ask that doctors take an interest in what kind of meds their patients are asking about, and why, before they rush to judgement and just assume that we're all junkies.  Even if Prednisone were the kind of steroid that could get me all Barry Bonds-level strong, one look at my physique would probably dissuade you from that opinion... 

My dad had clusters for a long time when I was a kid, so I tend to ask him a lot of questions about how he dealt with his, and he said that percocets wouldn't even touch them, so I haven't ever really tried narcotics.  When I feel like I'm taking too many triptans, I always think about how he would have dealt with it--he never had the benefit of Imitrex or Maxalt, he just bore down and dealt with them.  I don't think he ever really even went to the doctor, unless he was getting like 6 in a day.  When I think about that, it makes me feel stronger, like I can handle the pain more than I think I can--gives me the strength to cope with it.  Then, after it goes away and I didn't take any triptans, I feel like I really accomplished something.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!