Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why narcotics should be a last resort only (Read 12649 times)
shellcory
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Victoria, Australia
Re: Why narcotics should be a last resort only
Reply #25 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 2:41am

I agree with many of you on different points, however that being said, there are a number of sufferer's out there who have not had the wisdom of many of the people on this site, they are in pain and desperately seeking help from the many Uneducated medical professionals, who throw narcotics at them like smarties just to shut them up! Being in this state and not being informed of other options they take them not knowing any better.

I am supporter of a 25 year sufferer who was placed on morphine injections for 2 clusters a few years back, his body was no longer able to cope with large amounts of the triptan's, the many preventatives tried were not effective, O2 was not an option that his Dr supported at the time (he changed his mind with help from this site). After 6 months of 6-8 attacks a day all at kip 8-10, he was very depressed (suicidal) and desperate for some relief, so the Dr prescribed 30mg morphine injections per 2 attacks a day. The first 4 attacks he used 3mg sumatriptan, then 15mg morphine for the other 4 attacks.  As the cluster came to an end and as a responsible supporter, I brought it to his attention that he was having too much morphine and although he didn't appreciate it at the time, I told the DR to cut him off. It was a couple of weeks before he saw my reasoning, I would do anything to help stop the pain but I'm not going to stand by whilst the medications take over. The second cluster that this was again prescribed I didn't have to say a word, he realized there was a problem starting to arise and stopped taking the morphine. I'm so very proud that he had the ability to do this for himself and our family.

I do believe there is a place for fast acting pain relievers (injections not oral) in the treatment of cluster headaches, all be it a very small place for those who are unable to get relief from certain mainstream medications, such as those who can not use triptan's or use "alternative therapies" like clusterbusters with the correct management and council of their Dr's.

I would have to say in no uncertain terms that without the morphine at that time, I wouldn't be a supporter of a cluster headache sufferer, I would be a widow of a sufferer! So to all of those people who do have to resort to pain relievers such as morphine injections, you will find no judgement from me.

I wish you all pain free times but please be warned as with most things the risk that these other well informed members are bringing to your attention, is a problem that is all to real and sometimes harder to come back from than what you're already coping with.

Regards Shell Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2010 at 9:50am by shellcory »  

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #26 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 8:25am

Thank you, Carrie.    Smiley

Addiction goes beyond tolerance and a developed physical need.  The tunnel-vision obsession of its seduction would not relate entirely to an actual physical need, though that may be encompassed.  Psychological support can be essential for quite some time after physical withdrawal.  Long enough to be incorporated internally affecting for hopefully a lifetime afterwards preventing a physically needless return, which would relate to the phychological need of addiction.

'preciate your time and consideration to expand and explain what is perhaps less seeable in brevity to understand without questions.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2010 at 9:29am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #27 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 4:20pm

Quote:
So to all of those people who do have to resort to pain relievers such as morphine injections, you will find no judgement from me.

Oh my...this is NOT about judgement from any of us.  Not at all.  This is about sharing our knowledge about what doesn't work, is very harmful etc.  That is what this site and "US"  are all about.    Helping everyone to be knowledgable about this condition.

If someone said they were taking 3000mg. of Verapamil a day or 10 shots of Imitrex a day, believe me, we would all jump on that and tell that person they are  living VERY dangerously.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #28 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 9:21pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Aug 19th, 2010 at 4:20pm:
Quote:
So to all of those people who do have to resort to pain relievers such as morphine injections, you will find no judgement from me.

Oh my...this is NOT about judgement from any of us.  Not at all.  This is about sharing our knowledge about what doesn't work, is very harmful etc.  That is what this site and "US"  are all about.    Helping everyone to be knowledgable about this condition.

If someone said they were taking 3000mg. of Verapamil a day or 10 shots of Imitrex a day, believe me, we would all jump on that and tell that person they are  living VERY dangerously.

Here's the thing though - yes, sharing knowledge and insight and understanding are exactly what this site should (and usually is) all about.  However, unfortunately, it doesn't always seem to happen that way - most particularly when narcotics are involved...

Just a flash back for me, but frankly if it weren't for the compassion and caring of Bejeeber and Bob Johnson, and a couple of others (you know who you are  Wink), I would not be involved in this site after the (lets be honest) mauling that I got when I first posted on this site when desperate and hopeless...   Cry

That said, there are so very very many compassionate and caring people in this site who spend quite a bit of their time using this group as a portal to help others.  I am very glad I didn't just give up on this site (though it was a near thing at first).  And, I do like to think that I've been of some help to some people here...

And, no, Brew, helping/sharing/understanding/compassion/caring/etc, in no way mean being in complete agreement with, nor, in any way, condoning another's behavior.  But it does mean a basic respect and a modicum of empathy (at least until events prove otherwise) about the kind of mental and physical pain that the posters on this board may be going through at the time of their posting...

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #29 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 9:32pm

Lettucehead wrote on Aug 19th, 2010 at 9:21pm:
Linda_Howell wrote on Aug 19th, 2010 at 4:20pm:
Quote:

Here's the thing though - yes, sharing knowledge and insight and understanding are exactly what this site should (and usually is) all about.  However, unfortunately, it doesn't always seem to happen that way - most particularly when narcotics are involved...

Just a flash back for me, but frankly if it weren't for the compassion and caring of Bejeeber and Bob Johnson, and a couple of others (you know who you are  Wink), I would not be involved in this site after the (lets be honest) mauling that I got when I first posted on this site when desperate and hopeless...   Cry

That said, there are so very very many compassionate and caring people in this site who spend quite a bit of their time using this group as a portal to help others.  I am very glad I didn't just give up on this site (though it was a near thing at first).  And, I do like to think that I've been of some help to some people here...

And, no, Brew, helping/sharing/understanding/compassion/caring/etc, in no way mean being in complete agreement with, nor, in any way, condoning another's behavior.  But it does mean a basic respect and a modicum of empathy (at least until events prove otherwise) about the kind of mental and physical pain that the posters on this board may be going through at the time of their posting...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Just so there ain't no mistaken who took her to task and why.

Potter

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #30 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 9:53pm

I wish more people would call it as they see it instead of being worried about shrouding intent and coddling perceived fragility.

If people are going to ask questions, they should be prepared for the answers. This isn't Romper Room.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #31 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 10:17pm

No this isn't Romper Room. It's a support room or it is supposed to be.

The problem with calling it how you see it is that many times we don't see it. Many times we jump to a conclusion and others go with it only to find out later it was a wrong conclusion.

Most of us don't pay any attention to the number of posts we have but a newbie does and when they get slammed or talked down to or told they are full of shit after their very first post they either leave or attack back...which causes others to get on the band wagon.

I have made snap judgements before and found later that I was wrong. So I try to be supportive to all newbies. If they are here with other motives, it doesn't take long to see it and handle it.

Lettucehead was one that I judged way too early and as far as I can tell, has been the last one. But probably not.

One thing about clusterheads..Sometime we are just in a pissed off mood.

People calling it how they see it with no regard to someones percieved fragility it how the board got where it was a couple of years ago. Thats not going to happen again.

(Now if I had just practiced what I preach, I would have waited until I was in a better mood to respond.) Smiley

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

shellcory
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Victoria, Australia
Reply #32 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 10:26pm

In the past Ive been told "I'm too honest" for saying it like it is, and that some people can't handle that. I do agree that if you ask then you should be prepared for the answers, the problem seems to stem from the tone (style) of the answers received. The terminology "suicide headache" (which I know a lot of members despise) seems to me to indicate that a certain level of coddling perceived fragility would be appropriate when people are already so Fragile/desperate/hurt. I agree this isn't romper room, but I don't want the people who need the help and support the most from this community to feel like their going to be jumped on either or attacked for even mentioning narcotics.
                                  Regards Shell Smiley

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #33 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 12:25am

Obviously from prior posts, most of you know I'm with Jimi on this one. In the past, we had board members who were self proclaimed troll hunters who would absolutely humiliate and abuse any poster they suspected wasn't a clear cut CH'er. Once the feeding frenzy began, the poor newbie was soon driven off the board, sadly, many never returned.

I see people post in reponse, people shouldn't be "wimps", they should learn to "take it like a man," the internet is an open forum if you come here you should expect no "coddling."  My question, what is the harm if someone who doesn't have CH wanders in here for a while. Whether they have malicious intentions or not, they show their faces quickly enough and are dealt with.

How sad to think of the people in pain who have turned to this community, inadvertently said something "non CH appropriate" and been driven away. Now their only chance for help is the medical field which sadly, has not kept pace with current treatments.

Off my soap box now, Grin  if you feel the need to be mean to somebody, send me a nasty PM! But let's give the newbies a week or 2 before we jump them! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #34 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 6:08am

Revisiting here, I clicked on the link Potter included to understand the opinions, particularly because Kirsten has done some fine posting and seemed additionally an appealing voice in many ways.

I see now why I avoided even opening the thread to read, and agree with George being the one to call it like it is, wisely closing it, and fairly, without resulting sanctioned repurcussions.  That takes experience.  As Jimi mentioned, "how the board got where it was a couple of years ago. Thats not going to happen again."  It may sometimes seem, no matter how many people one may have attempted to help, it's the one that may have been wrongly chased off that can linger cumbersome in memory.  Anyway, I'm glad Kirsten didn't leave.  The subject matter has a very sensitive nature.

Wherever possible, I attempt abbreviated reading for others, but would like to relate a similar introductory experience.  A recounting by another, brighter, in all chances could be more synoptic.  An expectation that might miss an intended mark, and laborous, or you just haven't paid attention to my limited abilities.

Within days of first discovery of this site, I read a thread started by a pregnant woman asking for advice with options dealing with this pain level, it seems she wanted to do the right thing.  After several posts congratulating her on a new arrival, I realized she was in the kind of pain that was too familiar to me and waited and watched, there wasn't a single answer. 

I pulled out my "Conquering Headache" book, mind you a 1998 publishing by the combined knowledge of Alan Rapoport and Fred Sheftell, who need no introduction and a Second Revised Edition, influencing me this is still their opinion.  Looking under treatment while pregnant, it stated there was insufficient information available about the effect of sumatriptan.  Their opinion of the time was that fiorcet was acceptable, and I see Kirsten was conservative, willing to suffer due to her reservations.

Innocently posting what I thought might be a helpful comment from regarded experts since a prolonged watch and wait period had yet produced any reply acknowledging this complex suffering situation, it was challenging, but where else to ask of experience but here.  Even experts seemed to have a fiddle-faddle answer.  Incidently, the book had no mention of oxygen, which I wasn't onto yet and was obviously unqualified to recommend.

Needless to say, a very stern reaction was met insinuating stupidity.   Nope, wasn't Romper Room.  'Course I can see being potentially rejected for the show or security tossing me in an alley in short time anyway.  Visitiing Santa on TV at Christmastime left me pissed off before I was five, and I turned around and let him know.

Whatever.  I mentioned no one had answered her plea (I was very acquainted with CH suffering) and revealed where I got the information from, gave back some words not from pursed lips, but ended conceding I was wrong.  Had I not read this from a source picked up in the waiting room of a neurologist and finding it an amazing defining, finally an identification, like the feeling some feel when first finding this site.  I could have hesitated posting, but felt SOMETHING needed to be said attempting to help.

There were a couple friendly posts in the aftermath, I was thankful for their understanding. 

Just to add, surprisingly unforeseeable, I became close friends with the one who seemed rabidly antagonist at the time.  We even became very close, planning to attend the first Atlanta convention together.  The distant logistics involved were not insurmountable, but I think I didn't quite feel an adequate enough companionship developed within what was yet a close-knit group at the time for days of comingling.  Seeing afterward who attended, it's now an unduplicated opportunity foregone. 

The new-found friend had a good time I was happy to see.  We met in Nashville, she shared a roomful with sisters of mischief. we had a company together of a natural comfortableness .  Fortunately, hardly a better place than to have the room next door.  An OUCH award-winning recipient of friendly posting, her final good-bye from the hotel was non-stop and waved with constant eye-contact from the airport shuttle until no longer in sight.

I thank Bob for giving us updated stuff concerning this, and also can see recommending oxygen if posting.  As I mentioned, it can be a sensitive issue.  I've no adversity to the responses, but having been there, I understand the thoughts teetering of a newbie not intending harm.  Glad I'm not a moderator, but their responses have been proudly appropriate in many regards.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2010 at 7:29am by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

scubaheather
CH.com Newbie

Living Everyday

Springfield, MA
Reply #35 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 11:58pm

Thank you so much for having this post up. I am new to the forum as of tonight, and the doctors just seem to want to pump me full of painkillers. I have a bad personal history with family members and narcotics. I will admit, over the past week I have been using them, but that's only because I don't seem to have another option right now. In the beginning I refused to take them, but the pain has gotten so bad, and I don't know what else to do at this point. I am waiting for an appointment with a neurologist, but is there anything I can do until then? I've tried ibuprophen, but it doesn't touch it, and I'm severely allergic to tylenol. I just need something to help me make it to my appointment. This has been going on now for 13 days, and I am at my wits end already.

facebook.com/scubaheather heatherann21290  
IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #36 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 1:09am

scubaheather wrote on Aug 22nd, 2010 at 11:58pm:
Thank you so much for having this post up. I am new to the forum as of tonight, and the doctors just seem to want to pump me full of painkillers. I have a bad personal history with family members and narcotics. I will admit, over the past week I have been using them, but that's only because I don't seem to have another option right now. In the beginning I refused to take them, but the pain has gotten so bad, and I don't know what else to do at this point. I am waiting for an appointment with a neurologist, but is there anything I can do until then? I've tried ibuprophen, but it doesn't touch it, and I'm severely allergic to tylenol. I just need something to help me make it to my appointment. This has been going on now for 13 days, and I am at my wits end already.

You're welcome.   Welcome to the board!   Smiley

The hardest part, I think, is learning to be proactive.   When I first got diagnosed both I and my doctor seemed to think she could just give me some medicine and make them go away.  It doesn't work like that and adjusting my expectations was difficult. 

Medicines to treat the immediate headache help a little, preventitive meds help a little, supplements and oxygen help a little.  Combining them all helps a lot but it's still pretty rare for the combinations to put you into remission.

There is some really great information in the links on the side about medicines.  You should read all of it.  ESPECIALLY the parts about Imitrex and Oxygen, which are what seem to help the most around here.

In the very short term, one over the counter thing that can help is an energy drink like redbull.  The caffeine helps, the taurine probably does too.  Drink one as quickly as you can at the very first sign of a headache.   I find it's hard to drink something carbonated so quickly and the redbull "shots" are easier.  If you're truly at your wit's end, the redbull  will also help the pain medicine your doctor gave you to work better. 

If you absolutely don't want to take pain medications in the time before your appointment,  you can go to the emergency room or a walk in clinic.  Take your prescriptions with you and explain you really don't want to take a narcotic because of family history, you want to try imitrex and oxygen.  Print out the information and take it with you if it will help.  Many people have commented that it's very important to take these at the first sign of a headache or they are not as effective.

Also:  Read the threads about natural over the counter supplements- there's one called Kilowatt3! that immediately comes to mind.  Those supplements are cheap, over the counter, and fairly effective at reducing the number and severity of headaches for many.  You can start that tonight if you have a well stocked 24 hour pharmacy or a large grocery store that's open late with a big health/supplement section.

Good luck!

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #37 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 12:30am

Bump for foolclip281.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
IP Logged

duffield1
CH.com Newbie

Cluster headaches spoiled
my bacon sandwich.

Selby, UK
Reply #38 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 10:53am

"When I first got diagnosed both I and my doctor seemed to think she could just give me some medicine and make them go away.  It doesn't work like that and adjusting my expectations was difficult."
(*Sorry - not sure how to do the 'quote' thing yet!*)

I'm currently in my first cluster, (nearly 3 weeks in with daily headaches, usually killers at night and shadows in the day) and have been prescribed injectable Imigran.

My hope - perhaps naive - is that before too long, the headaches will go away, and then the medicine can be locked away in case they come back in the future.

Reading this thread, perhaps I am being horribly naive.  I don't like injecting, and the thought of not having to inject makes me happy, but when I do have a bad attack, the meds work within 10 mins to make it go away completely.  At this stage, I would not take more than one dose in a day, even if I had a second attack (which has happened) - I can cope during daylight hours, but the pain at night is worse because you simply do not have the same things to distract you (I'd estimate my worst pain as a 8 or 9).

This treatment is working for me for the moment without any obvious side effects, and narcotics are my first port of call.  I'm in the UK, so prescriptions are cheap.

At this stage, is common belief of this site's users that I should be looking at non-narcotic techniques, or am I just so early in my CH experience (and hoping to go no further) that this does not quite apply to me?  I notice that when people are talking about addiction to meds, it is usually painkillers rather than Imigran, for example.

Sorry to sound so ignorant - I'm new to this so don't have years of expertise to call upon, but would appreciate input from others who have been in the same position.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #39 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 11:01am

You don't mention oxygen in any of your eight posts.  Get on board.

Potter

IP Logged

duffield1
CH.com Newbie

my bacon sandwich.

Selby, UK
Reply #40 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 11:36am

My doc suggested that oxygen might work, but with the NHS in the UK, getting it takes time - and he figured I might well be out of the cluster by the time it had been ordered and delivered.  The meds were an immediate answer and provide me with the security of knowing that if I have an attack whilst I am out and about, I can self-medicate for quick relief.

Long-term (if I have a long-term problem), oxygen might be an answer - I agree - but for me, convenience is important, too.  I've also suffered with migraines in the past, and whilst several hours of sleep is the most effective 'cure', if I'm on the road and trying to get home, you can't beat Zomig and a quick nap.

I acknowledge that I am lucky that cluster headaches do not control my life - daytime attacks are rarely much beyond me getting very grouchy and unpleasant to be around, but no agony. 

My question is whether narcotics, in some cases, might be the only remedy required - and are a reasonably safe and practical solution.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #41 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 12:23pm

I may have mis understood you so do correct me! Imigran is not a narcotic, and doesn't have the addictive dangers associated with narcotics. Many of us use imitrex injections on cycle. While I am one of the people who believes there is a potential for imitrex extending a cycle, when I'm getting my butt kicked, I am quick to inject!

Do start looking into 02 now. Hopefully your cycle is drawing to a close and you won't need it this round. If you do all the footwork now, when the next cycle starts, you should onnly be a phone call or two from having 02 delivered.

Additionally, look at some of the prevent meds available, Verapamil, Lithium, Topomax, that can reduce the number of attacks you get. If it is CH you have, it never really "goes away"...just lies dormant waiting for you to drop your guard. Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #42 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 2:29pm

duffield1 wrote on Oct 6th, 2010 at 10:53am:
Imigran ... 
This treatment is working for me for the moment without any obvious side effects, and narcotics are my first port of call. 

At this stage, is common belief of this site's users that I should be looking at non-narcotic techniques, or am I just so early in my CH experience (and hoping to go no further) that this does not quite apply to me? 

Imigran (or Imitrex) is not a painkiller or a narcotic, it's another class of medications entirely -- triptans.

And yes, not starting with narcotics most definitely applies to you as a newbie, for all of the reasons that I outlined above.  Other medications are much more effective. 

It's really important that you read the medical information link on the left.  You need a preventative, that lessons the amount and severity of attacks, and you need something to end an attack quickly.  The safest and most effective thing for most of is is oxygen.  It's one of the yellow links on the left.  Please read all of it and discuss the information with your doctor.

IP Logged

duffield1
CH.com Newbie

my bacon sandwich.

Selby, UK
Reply #43 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 5:15pm

I guess I have shown my ignorance by not knowing the difference between a narcotic and a triptan!  The leaflet about the meds doesn't mention if it is addictive or not - I guess that this is perhaps one of the safer meds (or am I being naive again?)

I'm being as careful as I can about what I take - I also take a low daily dose of propanolanol to keep migraines at bay.

I haven't got a clue how long my cluster will last - I had a day almost pain free over the weekend, but had another stonker last night!

I'll ask the doc to set the wheels in motion for getting oxygen.  Although I don't have to pay for the meds, I am concerned about how much I am costing the NHS (National Health Service), so if oxygen is more cost effective, I'm happy to give it a go!

Thanks for humouring me!

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #44 - Oct 6th, 2010 at 5:41pm

Quote:
I guess I have shown my ignorance by not knowing the difference between a narcotic and a triptan!

No, not ignorance at all.  Not knowing the differance suggests to me that you are not a druggie and that is a good thing.   Wink

Imitrex is NOT addictive, but it does have a tendancy to prolong cycles or cause rebound headaches if taken too often.  That said..Imitrex is a God-send for those times when 02 just isn't available, you're out in public or at work and need to abort NOW!

I know from others here in the UK that they cannot refuse you oxygen there.  Why should they anyway?  Compared to the other meds we take...02 is very cheap, and safe, no matter what side of the pond you're on.

We're here to answer any questions you may have, so please don't feel we are "humoring" you in the slightest.  (sorry.  HUMOURING)  Wink

Anyway, welcome to our world Duffield. 

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

R33_Ian
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

midlands, uk
Reply #45 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 4:07pm

I was new to this board (and CH) a few months ago and I found you all to be pretty helpful. I was horrified when I first read the oh so familiar symptoms and the prospect of living with CH seemed like the end of the world. But you guys showed it can be done and that was relief in itself and you have bucket loads of advice too.

Honest works as you can't really dress up CH 'cos it hurts like hell and will continue to. Whats needed is the info to to start beating it but with conscienciousness. We all know how hard it can be emotionally and you were all newbs once. Shell put it right IMO, a balance between sensitivity and coddling is needed and when I joined I thought you all were spot on.

I think it's also worth noting you don't need to sign in to use this forum if you wanted info for malicious use as you can view as a guest anyway. And there are other sites and pages offering vids of attacks and all sorts of stuff.

As for the narcotics I agree it should be a last resort with all the other more effective options but not jumped on. I was eating painkillers, whatever I could find (not morphine or anything that strong) but gave up as soon as I found they would never work. But that was through learning and reading what has been put out there (mostly here) and I started to try and get what I needed. But we are all different and react differently to advice. Point is when your desperate and don't know whats wrong or what you need you might be scared to leave the meds and risk it getting worse. That's where your knowledge comes in and I am personally grateful you shared it. I hope everyone continues to accept that you are trying to help and the help continues.

Welcome duffield  Smiley

IP Logged

reptile
CH.com Junior

life is the school; love
is the lesson

x0|Venice|||0|0|CA,California
Reply #46 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 10:52pm

I just took a peak at this thread and noticed my post  from this afternoon--and bunch of others are now gone.  Potter judges me; I comment on it and my post is tossed out.  When I was a judge for several years, I used to be to do something about such conduct.  Here, I can only chuckle and be on my way.  BTW, Potter, the type of thinking you displayed in our interactions is commonly described as lazy or disingenuous.  Why you cannot accept that I am not an addict and can use narcotics as prescribed and beneficially for CH, I don't know, but I can.  I am on an end of the Bell Curve that you refuse to acknowledge exists.  When I was a judge I acknowledged such lazy and narrow thinking by routinely awarding victories to the opposition.  Open your mind.  It won't hurt.

thee werido still known by some as thee reptile

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #47 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 11:24pm

duffield1 wrote on Oct 6th, 2010 at 5:15pm:
I guess I have shown my ignorance by not knowing the difference between a narcotic and a triptan!  The leaflet about the meds doesn't mention if it is addictive or not - I guess that this is perhaps one of the safer meds (or am I being naive again?)

I'm being as careful as I can about what I take - I also take a low daily dose of propanolanol to keep migraines at bay.

I haven't got a clue how long my cluster will last - I had a day almost pain free over the weekend, but had another stonker last night!

I'll ask the doc to set the wheels in motion for getting oxygen.  Although I don't have to pay for the meds, I am concerned about how much I am costing the NHS (National Health Service), so if oxygen is more cost effective, I'm happy to give it a go!

Thanks for humouring me!

Duffield,

Welcome aboard!  Sure wish you weren't here!

Don't worry about ignorance.  I display mine regularly.  Ignorance is merely no knowing.  Being ignorant is not a problem.  Remaining ignorant is.  If you stay around here very long, and I would recommend you stay even when not in cycle, you will learn.  Knowledge gives power.  It also gives you the opportunity to help the next ignorant one who comes along.  I fought these things for over 20 years before I found this site.  I WAS ignorant, and there was no hiding it.  I'm still not smart, but I have learned to deal with the beast so that I don't have to fear. 

Please don't be afraid to ask questions or to display your ignorance.  When you are willing to do so is when you can begin to learn.  When I teach I always direct direct questions to my students until I get an honest "I don't know." because that is when they will learn.  To often we want to be proud and not reveal that we don't have all the answers and we suffer needlessly for it.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #48 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 11:25pm

reptile wrote on Oct 7th, 2010 at 10:52pm:
I just took a peak at this thread and noticed my post  from this afternoon--and bunch of others are now gone.  Potter judges me; I comment on it and my post is tossed out.  When I was a judge for several years, I used to be to do something about such conduct.  Here, I can only chuckle and be on my way. 

I assume this last was directed toward mods or admins, since we're the ones who might, presumably, remove someone's posts.  After all--we're the only ones who can.

We don't do that.  Nothing has been "tossed out".  I think you'll discover that your posts are all present, albeit spread over the three or four threads you've chosen to contribute to.  Clicking on your profile, and searching your previous posts will reveal them.

Thoroughly checking the facts before rendering an opinion seems a judicious thing to do. 

Best,

George   

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #49 - Oct 7th, 2010 at 11:34pm

Except in the instance of a troll I've never, not once seen a post removed by the mods nor DJ .  I've perused all your posts  from the first thru your last and in a preponderance of them you refer to  narcotics even though you claim that oxygen works for you.  Stick with oxygen and your life will improve.

Potter

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!