Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
When to take Imigran (injection) (Read 3382 times)
Jersey Jen
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

When to take Imigran (injection)
Aug 10th, 2010 at 1:08pm

Got my first dose of Imigran today. The doc's only given me two just to try it and see if I get on with it before having ongoing prescriptions.

Anyway... I'm sitting here and its grumbling away. Between 4 & 5 at the moment, all down the left hand side of my face and especially my lower jaw. Also got the constant migraine type headache going across the whole of my head (front and back).

Now... Should I have done the first shot of Imigran already? I'm trying to hold out against doing it in case I get a bigger hit later on - don't want to use it now when I can still handle the pain, would rather use it on a more forceful hit (if you get what I mean).

Any help would be lovely

Jen

facebook.com/jensitoy  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: When to take Imigran (injection)
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 1:35pm

This will become an easier question once you have a regular pattern of attack development. This will give a clear sense of when an attack is starting.

But, one of the biggest mistakes is to wait until the attack is well developed before using any abortive. Especially with Imitrex, folks don't want to "waste" money by taking a shot when, "it might not develop/it go away."

Simply put, the sooner the better....

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Jersey Jen
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 2:00pm

Thanks Bob Smiley

That one has passed for now, when the next one kicks up I'll take it straight away.

facebook.com/jensitoy  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 2:56pm

Hi Jen,

I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to use the injection just in case you have a worse one later.  I used to be the same way as my insurance company would only cover two shots per month.  I would suffer till I just couldn't stand it anymore then use the shot as a last resort.   Not anymore though!

Now, at the first sign of a CH,  I head to my oxygen tank.  It knocks out a CH, for me, in less than 5 minutes.  If you haven't asked your Dr. about 02, please do so.  It has changed my life!

Jeannie
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2010 at 2:57pm by Jeannie »  

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 3:29pm

The cost business with Imitrex is a major reason I keep suggesting trying Zyprexa. On a cost basis, it's much less than Imitrex, acts almost as fast, and for many of us, 100% reliable within 10-20 minutes. For a few people, it stops the cycle (see following.)
=========
Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 8:52am

It's that Imitrex catch 22!

Do I use it now! Do I wait?

It's not just a $$ thing it is a #'s thing too.

Can only shoot so many times a day they say.

Also a $$ thing.  But more what if I get #7 or 8 and only get 6
doses out of my 2 vials.  That's the biggest bummer in my
book.  Money is money, But that F'ing PAIN!

Peace,
Boski

IP Logged

Jersey Jen
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 12:13pm

Thanks for the replies guys

It's not the cost of the Imigran that is holding me back... it's just that my doc has only given me two as a ''tester'' and I wasn't sure whether I should hold on to them for when a big one hits, or if I should do it as soon as anything hits. He did show me the cost of them but he also said he was more than happy to keep prescribing if it works for me.

As for the o2... GP's over here can't prescribe it, you can only get it through a hospital clinic. I'm seeing my neuro on 14th September and will be pushing him for the o2.

facebook.com/jensitoy  
IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 12:47am

Bob Johnson wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 3:29pm:
The cost business with Imitrex is a major reason I keep suggesting trying Zyprexa. On a cost basis, it's much less than Imitrex, acts almost as fast, and for many of us, 100% reliable within 10-20 minutes. For a few people, it stops the cycle (see following.)
=========
Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.

You are right!!!  It's good stuff!!  Especially for me since I am hesitant about Imitrex and O2, though I have an Rx for both and will use if I have to.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

Joni
CH.com Old Timer

Knowledge is Power

Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 12:50am

My Nuero prescribed me the Imitrex vials.  That way, I can only do 2mg at a time.  People on this site say that much will work.  I have never used it yet, though.

Experience:  That most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  -C. S. Lewis

IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 1:20am

Joni wrote on Aug 13th, 2010 at 12:50am:
My Nuero prescribed me the Imitrex vials.  That way, I can only do 2mg at a time.  People on this site say that much will work.  I have never used it yet, though.

I use 2mg or less depending on CH strength.  Works for me
and you can take more hits!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!