Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Help, out of work, no insur and the beast returned (Read 9229 times)
painfulnoodle
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Dayton, TN
Help, out of work, no insur and the beast returned
Aug 8th, 2010 at 11:25pm

I've been out of work for a year this month and thankfully have not had CH since early this year ... but they're back ... and with vengence! I tried one of my Immitrex injections the other night, but it was the newest (expired a year ago) of those I had stock piled when I still had insurance and it was only somewhat effective. I'm sure the rest are even less.

Anyway, I have no insurance and can't get any because of other health issues, and my unemployment will run out next month and thus have $0 income.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get some assistance, i.e. state, federal, corporate ... I'm about to be very desperate! I'm facing a lot of challenges, but none scare me more than having no defense against the most debilitating condition.

Thanks in advance.

JEM

unclejed925@yahoo.com UncleJed925  
IP Logged

bonkers
CH.com Old Timer

What is THIS?

San Diego, California
Re: Help, out of work, no insur and the beast returned
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 12:05am

Hi Painfulnoodle,

It might be worth your while to check out ClusterBusters (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register). Not only might you be able to get control over this "most debilitating condition" without recourse to insurance, you'll save yourself the damage that can be done by Imitrex, Topomax et al. And I don't just mean the damage that those drugs are capable of inflicting on your wallet.

Ron

Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps.
  -Blake

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 9:23am

Keep trying your old Imitrex. Unless it has been storted in bad conditions , the expiration dates on meds are not of any merit.

In Atlanta, you should have a good array of free/low cost med services. Call the social service folks in your larger hospitals and ask; check with the United Way office; call the local govt Social Service organization -- all these are useful sources of information.

Melatonin can be used as both a preventive and abortive, although it doesn't rank high as an abortive. But cost is the clear advantage making it worth a try.

IF you have a doc who will work with you, ask for a sample of Zyprexa. You will know with 1-2 uses whether it works for you and it has the clear advantage of being much lower cost-per-dose than Imitrex and almost as fast working.
------

Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6 

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and TWO PATIENTS BECAME HEADACHE-FREE AFTER TAKING THE DRUG. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

PMID 11576207 PubMed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
====
Check out "tips for suffers" at the top of this section.

(And don't forget "them what's" in Congress who won't vote for an extension of unemployment benefits.)
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2010 at 9:26am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 10:06am

Nasty boat to find yourself in for sure. Bonkers hasa good point regarding   clusterbusters.com     on a cost basis may be the cheapest route to go.

Look into welding oxygen as an abortive, also a cheap route. Good luck on the CH and the work front. Sad

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 12:40pm

bonkers wrote on Aug 9th, 2010 at 12:05am:
Hi Painfulnoodle,

It might be worth your while to check out ClusterBusters (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register). Not only might you be able to get control over this "most debilitating condition" without recourse to insurance, you'll save yourself the damage that can be done by Imitrex, Topomax et al. And I don't just mean the damage that those drugs are capable of inflicting on your wallet.

Ron

thats what i did. last cycle i didn't have insurance either.if your unemployed you may qualify for medicaid to pay for o2. if not you can rent an o2 from airgas or linde and tell them your using it for welding.

a 25 lpm or higher regulator is recommended.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

o2 is a must

as for now try redbulls or energy drinks as an abortive. caffeine and taurine are the key ingredients.

kudzo supplements can be helpful. if you cant find them in the vitamin section at the grocery store or the pharmacy you can find them at gnc.

i highly recommend clusterbusting but be sure to read up on it before you try it

keep a couple bags of frozen peas in the freezer and put them on your face or on top of your head.

use your abortives early but dont overdo them in desperation.

aspirin, ibuprofen, or tylenol is not going to help you.

stay away from nitrates (sausage, bacon, hot dogs) and chocolate.

dont drink beer and dont smoke pot 

keep us updated and post any questions you might have Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2010 at 12:49pm by -johnny- »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 1:49pm

Wow I see you're in Atlanta and am so bummed that your cycle has started just a few weeks after the OUCH meeting we held there. It would have been awesome if you had been able to attend and visit face to face with other sufferers. PLus we had world class CH doctors there. Sigh.

I think others here have given you some excellent advice, hope it helps.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 4:39pm

JEM,

Pick up some fresh lemons and make yourself some homemade lemonade and drink a couple glasses with dinner.  I use Splenda to sweeten up the lemonade and keep the Sumo recruiters away.

I know this sounds off the wall, but there's medical evidence that the citric acid in fresh lemonade acts as a buffer on stomach's gastric juice with the end result an elevated arterial pH.  An elevated arterial pH has proven to a number of us who've tried it to reduce the frequency and intensity of our cluster headaches. 

You also might want to pick up a bottle of Citracal Plus Bone Density Builder.  These tablets contain calcium citrate, vitamin D, magnesium and zinc.  When washed down with fresh lemonade, the two combine to make an even more potent buffer.

I take 3 to 4 of these tablets a half hour prior to the evening meal.

Also try to get at least a half hour direct sunlight on your arms and legs.  This should help develop 10,000 IU natural vitamin D which should also help reduce the frequency and intensity of your cluster headaches.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 1:46am

Check out:

They help with Imitrex a box a month. But it's a start.
If you qualify for the program. You get your first box
at pharm as soon as they say go then 30 day later they will
send you 3 months (3 boxes 5 vials) at once. but then you
have to have them under control.  Because it will be 3
months before they send you more again.

Good luck - It's helping me a little - is better than nuttin!

Boski

As for the Exp. ones I have been using Exp. 2004
Worked - I would have to say it took a bit longer but
worked.  we'er 2010 what's that 6 years expired.  One
year is fresh.  Use it like it was new.    Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2010 at 2:00am by boski »  

IP Logged

painfulnoodle
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Dayton, TN
Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 1:32pm

Thanks to all for the advice ... tough place to be in ... helps to know others have been (or are) there and willing to help!

This has been the weirdest cycle I've had in my 10 years of battling these things. They typically come on like a normal cycle, you deal with it and it eventually goes away. But this time, it's almost constant. I don't know if it's just a nearly constant shadow or just pain in my head from the aftermath of the major KIP 7-9's. Whatever it is, it's not left me pain free for nearly two weeks. The worst part is, I can't sleep ... virtually at all. Everytime I get pain free enough to doze off ... literally within minutes I get hit with one. I may have slept 3 hours in the past 3 days. Don't know how much sleep deprivation a body can handle, but I'm about to set a personal worst!

Thanks again ... hope to be able to return the favor someday.

Red

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 1:44pm

The information on this site varies by state so all you can do is take a look.
=====

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; Provided by Georgetown University. "Consumer Guide for Getting and Keeping Health Insurance."  State by state guide to protections around health insurance.

POTENTIAL SOURCES OF INFORMATION AND ASSISTANCE IF YOU HAVE LOST COVERAGE BECAUSE OF LOSS OF EMPLOYER COVERAGE.
Because obtaining coverage for preexisting conditions (CH) is usually difficult, impossible, and/or expensive, searching a variety of sources is often required. This is not a comprehensive list of sources but a few suggestioins copied from the Prostate Problems Mailing List (10/31/01).
1. Group coverage may be obtained through professional associations, school alumni associations, or fraternal organizations.
2. National Association for Socially Responsible Organizations, a nonprofit cooperative based in Wasington, D.C.. The group doesn't sell health insurance but it provides referrals to other groups which might be able to help find coverage. Phone, 800/638-8113; info@nasro-co-op.com
3. Working Today, an advocacy and service group representing all types of independent workers. 212/366-6066; working1@tiac.net; Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.
4. Women, Inc. a Los Angeles based membership group for female entrepreneurs. 800/930-3993; womeninc@aol.com; Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.
5. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1966 (HIPAA) requires insurance companies to "convert" group health plans to an individual plan which covers the preexisting conditions which was covered when the person was in a group plan. The person must have used the COBRA benefit before using HIPAA. (You may have to call your state insurance office to get information/contacts.)
6. States often have risk pool programs which allow limited coverage for preexisting problems. You might start by looking at the Georgetown University web site mentioned above and/or calling your state insurance office.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #10 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 2:09pm

Hi Painfulnoodle and Welcome!

Since no one has mentioned this...
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register is another option.  You will need to spring $ for or get access through your local Social service agency for the Doctor visit to get new prescriptions.

Here are a few other tips:

4-Way Nasal spray or Dristan 12 Hour Nasal Spray helps with the annoying congestion.

Taurine and Caffeine drinks (RedBull if you like it) to help prevent a hit when you feel one starting.

Melatonin or an Allergy pill at night before bed to help avoid night time hits.

The herb Kudzu has helped a few as a prevent.   

Deep breathing through the milder hits can help too.

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #11 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 5:34pm

Oh, F I know what you mean!!  Haven't been sleeping but
cat naps last month an a half.  I just started sleeping again.
I have been sipping 5 HR energy as Ginger has mentioned,
that seems to be helping me.   The hang over pain I've had
that, try to use the Imitrex earlier.  I think you  may be
waiting to see if its really a hit and waiting too long.

Peace,

Boski

IP Logged

painfulnoodle
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Dayton, TN
Reply #12 - Aug 21st, 2010 at 7:21pm

Yes ... I'm going very sparingly on the Immitrex. I had only stock piled about a half dozen kits and the newest one of those is over a year old. So I'm trying to wait until it's beyond controling with other means before I take the shot. I can't imagine having one without that as a backup. It's the only thing that's ever worked for me as a confirmed abortive when they reach KIP 8-9. But at some point, I have to get rid of the pain and sleep ... even if it's only a few hours before the rebound.

Red

IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #13 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 1:44am

Go to sleep!  It will hit in REM it seems!  Wake shot the
Imitrex ASAP go back to sleep!  This is my night cycle.  Was
trying to wait till it hit but it would wait me out.  Just go
to sleep feeling for the first signs of the hit.  As soon as you
feel get up and shoot.  Don't wait.  That wait is why you get
that endless burning I think.  Red, you wait it gets bad you
still wait some more, why? oh it will pass, hell no it won't.
Start using less of a dose 2mg at a time and do it early.
Stop putting yourself through the pain.  There are a few
ways to do it if you only have stat injectors in stock.
Just try to shoot early and see if it kills that after burn!

Boski

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 3:41am

Forgive me if I've missed this already being covered, but you've read the imitrex tip about how to stretch your doses by 2x to 3x I suppose?

I have a hard time imagining  a 1 year expired imitrex injection having  lost potency - 1 year old is fresh in my book too.  I bet it was other factors that made that shot less effective for you.

I'm pasting in some info here that a kind person shared in a post awhile back about the HealthTrans program for saving big $ on prescriptions:

"I may be the last uninsured person in the United States to know about this, but I just found out about it and it's awesome!  I was at CVS Pharmacy a few weeks ago waiting on my Imitrex (after they had screwed up and tried to give me the wrong thing yet again), and the pharmacist realized I didn't have insurance (and how expensive my medicine was).  She started looking for a way to save me money, and enrolled me in the HealthTrans program. It has saved me tons of money already.  I get the Imitrex (generic) refill cartridges, and then use the imitrex tip.  They usually cost around $185, and with this card, they're only $79! I was having the worst day ever, and was so thankful that I started crying right there in the pharmacy. 

I called my mom, who's been a pharmacy technician with Albertson's for about 30 years, and she said she's known about this program for a few years (Thanks for telling your uninsured daughter, Mom!).  She said her pharmacy doesn't tell people about the program because it actually causes the pharmacy to lose money... They're selling you the medicine at just above cost.  I don't really know much more than that about it, but if it makes my medicine cheaper, it works for me!  I did find a website for it though... Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Now that I'm enrolled in it, my next trip to the pharmacy was even better.  My generic topamax is normally $255, and I paid $127.  I'm not sure what generic Verapamil would normally be because this was my first time to get it, but I paid $31.  My birth control pills were even $10 cheaper! 

I know it sounds like I'm selling this program or something, but I promise I'm not!  It's free!  The pharmacist just enrolled me in it.  I can't believe I've gone so long without knowing about this... I could have saved thousands of dollars over the years between Imitrex and preventatives.  Just wanted to pass the info along for anybody else that might be up to their ears in pharmacy bills!"

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #15 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 11:48am

Excellent posts!

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #16 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 1:13pm

I'm with Bonkers.

Started CH in 1999 with no insurance at all.  Couple of years later got diagnosis.  Prescribed Imitrex - couldn't take it because of heart issues - so went cold turkey for another cycle or two.

I do have insurance now, if that is what you can call it.  I am covered ONLY if I am admitted to a hospital (ER doesn't count).  I get nothing for doctors visits (not even a co-pay), nothing for prescriptions - nothing - oh excuse me, I do get an annual mammogram.

Because of this, I went to Clusterbusters.com and between that, and obtaining oxygen through my local welding supply company, I am doing phenomenally well - pain free for about 4 years.

Welders oxygen is still 100% oxygen, just like medical.  I rent a humongous tank for $56.00 per year, and my refills run less than $20.  My rc seeds are horrendously cheap.

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #17 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 1:19pm

I rent a humongous tank for $56.00 per year, and my refills run less than $20. 

I re-read the oxygen info link, and Batch's posts, can't find "humongous......I assume it's bigger then E or M??? Grin
Kiss Luv ya!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

painfulnoodle
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Dayton, TN
Reply #18 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 2:08pm

Ok ... information overload here ... trying to make sense of all these tips. BTW ... thank you all for posting!

Is Zyprexa like Topomax (a preventative that didn't work for me) or Imitrex (my God-sent abortive)?

Tried Melatonin before unsuccesfully ... but will try again.

O2 was a great help before when I had the prescription. Will try the welders version. Appears the site is out of the masks right now though.

I have tried the RX Assist and Bridges ... because I'm still recieving unemployment (and only unemployment) I don't qualify because I make too much money! Do you think they knew what the unemployment payment amounts would be when they established their guidelines??

I went to Clusterbusters.com but I must be missing something. It's written about in here as if they offer some sort of treatment ... but all I see is more info like that offereed here on CH.com. Am I missing something??

What are RC Seeds?

I know some of this probably sounds silly to those of you who are regulars here ... but as previously stated, I've been out of the loop for a while.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some clarification on some of these items. I'm not being lazy and doing no research ... I truly am reading all I can find ... but right now I have 8 different windows open and all this information is confusing the hell outta me!

Red

IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #19 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 2:33pm

Red:

Relax it's the lac of sleep.  The RC seeds do something like shrooms but not as strong if I read correctly. Can fix CH's.
Can't take when on meds tho. Many say that both work.

My Unemploy ran out so bingo I got some.  funny I didn't get CH's when I had unemplo.  Guess I was lucky.

Silly nah!  I'm still trying to make sense out of it and find what works it keeps changing around for me.

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #20 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 1:44pm

Hey PainfulNoodle (I like that name! - your intact sense of humor tells me that you'll make it thru this very ruff, but very temporary patch).

Has anyone mentioned yet that Glaxo (makers of imitrex) has some sort of program for unemployed etc. folks where you contact them and they give you real cheap imitrex? I've read about it here before, but haven't looked into the details.

Well at least you're getting unemployment huh? I'm outa work almost 4 months now - was self employed before that, so no unemployment $ for me. That oughta teach me some kinda lesson or other.  Tongue

About the RC. The Rivea Corymbosa seeds are legally mail order-able online and legal to possess. Last I heard, theoretically if a law enforcement officer saw you ingesting some, somehow recognized the brew you had made as being from highly obscure RC seeds, and decided you were a horribly crimminal threat to society, you could be BUSTED though LOL. Somehow seems highly unlikely to me, and I haven't heard of it ever happening.

My preliminay impression of RC seeds is that they are basically weak compared to psilocybin. An occasional CH'er has reported success with them, but I tend to be in more of a "go for the big guns" mood.

At clusterbusters.com I did recently see a report of a new source for RC seeds that has fresher/better ones than Iamshaman.com where I ordered mine, so maybe that could make a real difference??

Speaking of clusterbusters.com, it's basically a site, and very importantly to us, a forum just like this one that focuses more on psychedelics for CH. Their message board is a great place to ask questions on the subject, and you'll find some more informed folks than me there. You'll recognize some folks that are here also being active over there.

Once you're signed up to their forum Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, there is a "ClusterBuster Files" forum category with a lot of info to read up on.

I've tried melatonin (9mg at bed) too. Unsuccessful. It's apparently another one of those that works great for some, but nuthin' happening for others.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

painfulnoodle
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Dayton, TN
Reply #21 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 7:23pm

Ok ... things looking up ... but need some help.

I have an appointment with my former Neuro (only Dr that's ever helped me at all with CH) back home in Memphis on Wed. I know he will get me some meds. He's the one who went to bat for me and got the insurance company to boost my allotted hits per month to 10 instead of the 4 they were letting me have ... how nice of them!

My sis back home has me an O2 tank waiting.

I have some insulin syringes so that I can split my Trex. This is where I'm getting a lil lost. Never done this before. Can I put the full dose of Trex in the Syringe and just clean and re-use it three time? What is the safest way to transfer Trex from injector into the syringe? Will the Trex store for long time in syringe? I keep my inectors in the car, my briefcase, etc. for months and years at a time ... why not in a syringe?

Thanks for any info!

Red

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #22 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:03pm

Personally I would leave the trex in the injector pack until needed more of a seal for preserving with injector pack.

As for reusing syringes, with repeated use you have a higher risk of infection (even with cleaning) and more ware and tare on the syringe could lead to it breaking on you.  (I know this because years ago I had to take shots of heparin due to a blood clot.) I wouldn't recommend reuse of syringes.
However you could ask your doctor to prescribe syringes to help make your imitrex last longer, not sure if that would be doable but couldn't hurt to ask him.

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

boski
CH.com Alumnus

CH'S Suck for all that
Suffer / The Pain The
Pain

NYC
Reply #23 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:41pm

Red:
Give a call and I'll explain it better.

You can take it from your stat ejector and shoot it in to an empty
imitrex vial with a q-tip or other object. Then you would draw
it up in the insulin needle as needed.   I too wouldn't reuse
cause you can't really clean them, harder to clean with left
over imitrex in it.  So, box of 100 $25 or so and worth not
loosing a limb.   This is better than reusing the stat injector
needle with the q-tip as mentioned in the tip to the left.
Then make sure no air, stick it in 1/4" and squeeze it in
slowly or quickly up to you. I go slow as it can hurt going in.
And I'm a wimp!  Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2010 at 8:42pm by boski »  

IP Logged

Peter B
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boston, MA
Reply #24 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 10:33pm

for what its worth - methysergide worked well for me in my last cycle and you can get it from a Canadian pharmacy relatively cheaply....not a good med if you are chronic (can't be on it for more than 6 mo) but perhaps something to discuss w/ your doc....

curious about others experiences - what is the lowest cost preventative out there? (legal, that is)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!