Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to headaches, new to board (Read 3619 times)
Oracle
CH.com Newbie

New to headaches, new to board
Aug 4th, 2010 at 2:15pm

Hey guys.  I was referred here by a poster at another board who has a relative with clusters.

I'm 28, I live in Chicago, and I've had clusters for a very short time.  They started a month and a half ago, I was diagnosed by my PCP last week.  I see a neurologist in 2 weeks for the official diagnosis, and to start treatment.  Before this started, I never had a problem with headaches.  I've never had a migraine, and have had very few tension or sinus headaches.  I've been at a loss since I got them.  I've tried every otc painkiller/headache medicine and home/herbal remedy I can find and nothing helps.  I've been told by my pcp to take 2 extra strength Tylenol when I feel it coming on...but the problem here is I don't feel it coming on.  I'll be going about my business and suddenly I'll feel an excruciating, drilling pain in my left eye and sometimes into my temple.  All I can do is pace and cry.  I can't even lay down, that somehow makes it worse.

I know I haven't had them nearly as long as others posting here (and my condolences to those who have had them for so long) but after a month and a half, I just can't take this anymore.  I may be weak, but the quality of my life has dropped significantly since they started.

I feel like since my doctor thinks I can just take 2 tylenol and be done with it, the neurologist wont take me seriously either.  I feel pretty hopeless with these.  Cry

IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Re: New to headaches, new to board
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 2:30pm

Hello Oracle and welcome
I'm on my mobile so i will be short.

Get your self some red bull or something similar ,chugg a can at the first sine of an attack , it can really reduce the pain and sometimes even abort an attack .

I'm shore someone else will be along soon with some more advice, you're in the best place.

God bless

Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

Oracle
CH.com Newbie

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 2:41pm

Thanks, I don't have any Red Bull on hand, but I did grab a Mountain Dew at work when one started earlier.  It reduced the unbearable pain to just an annoying pain.  It went away after about an hour. 

But now one is starting again.  Angry

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 2:46pm

32 years with the damned things and the good news is they can be managed. My best success has come with a 2 pronged approach:

1: A good prevent med. Thats's one you take daily to reduce the number and intensity of your hits. Verapamil is the most common first line prevent, but at doses higher then many docs are comfy with, some go as high as 960mg a day to get relief. I use lithium at 1200 mg a day, blocks 60-70% of my attacks when I'm not in high cycle. Topomax also has a loyal following. Takes some trial and error to find what works best for you but well worth the effort.

2: An abortive, the attack starts, now what? You've already discovered OTC's are  waste of time, I and others will warn you, so are narcotic pain meds. Absent rendering yourself unconcious with them they won't touch the pain.

Oxygen should be your first line abortive. I can go from oh sh%$ an attack is starting to pain free in 6-8 minutes. Beats the hell outta the old 90 minute rides I used to take. Read the oxygen info link on the left as it must be used correctly, or it won't work. The key points are a Non Re Breather Mask, at a high flow of at LEAST 15 LPM, and get on it at the first sign of an attack.

If the neuro won't give you oxygen, he is uneducated and out of date with CH and you must either convince him to give it to you or dump him. If you stay with a neuro who won't give you oxygen you accept 90 minute hits. We call that insanity! Shocked

Imitrex injectables are pricey but just as effective as 02 for me, I use them when I get caught away from my oxygen. Imitrex nasal sprays work for many, the pills tend to take too long to get absorbed to be of much benefit to us.

Energy drinks, sounds hokey, but try chugging one at the onset of an attack. I prefer sugar free red bull for the taste, but any containing the combo of caffeine and taurine will do the trick. Many can abort or at least really reduce an attack with those.

You suffer from a rare malady...congratulations on your luck! Sad What this means is you MUST educate yourself and be your own best advocate. Sitting down in front of your doc and saying "fix me" is a recipe for years of severe pain.

There are "alternative" methods of dealing with CH you may want to investigate at     clusterbusters.com

Welcome to the board, we understand, and want to help you.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Oracle
CH.com Newbie

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 3:07pm

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 2:46pm:
32 years with the damned things and the good news is they can be managed. My best success has come with a 2 pronged approach:

1: A good prevent med. Thats's one you take daily to reduce the number and intensity of your hits. Verapamil is the most common first line prevent, but at doses higher then many docs are comfy with, some go as high as 960mg a day to get relief. I use lithium at 1200 mg a day, blocks 60-70% of my attacks when I'm not in high cycle. Topomax also has a loyal following. Takes some trial and error to find what works best for you but well worth the effort.

2: An abortive, the attack starts, now what? You've already discovered OTC's are  waste of time, I and others will warn you, so are narcotic pain meds. Absent rendering yourself unconcious with them they won't touch the pain.

Oxygen should be your first line abortive. I can go from oh sh%$ an attack is starting to pain free in 6-8 minutes. Beats the hell outta the old 90 minute rides I used to take. Read the oxygen info link on the left as it must be used correctly, or it won't work. The key points are a Non Re Breather Mask, at a high flow of at LEAST 15 LPM, and get on it at the first sign of an attack.

If the neuro won't give you oxygen, he is uneducated and out of date with CH and you must either convince him to give it to you or dump him. If you stay with a neuro who won't give you oxygen you accept 90 minute hits. We call that insanity! Shocked

Imitrex injectables are pricey but just as effective as 02 for me, I use them when I get caught away from my oxygen. Imitrex nasal sprays work for many, the pills tend to take too long to get absorbed to be of much benefit to us.

Energy drinks, sounds hokey, but try chugging one at the onset of an attack. I prefer sugar free red bull for the taste, but any containing the combo of caffeine and taurine will do the trick. Many can abort or at least really reduce an attack with those.

You suffer from a rare malady...congratulations on your luck! Sad What this means is you MUST educate yourself and be your own best advocate. Sitting down in front of your doc and saying "fix me" is a recipe for years of severe pain.

There are "alternative" methods of dealing with CH you may want to investigate at     clusterbusters.com

Welcome to the board, we understand, and want to help you.

Joe

Thanks for the info.  I am not to keen on narcotic painkillers.  Aside from making me nauseated, I would like to be able to function in my daily life and they usually render me unable to.  Personally I don't see the value in solving a debilitating problem with a debilitating solution.  Nor am I a huge fan of relying on a short term solution for a long term problem. I'm looking over the oxygen info tab now...but I'm going to wait until my head doesn't hurt to do a thorough read.

I'll check out Clusterbusters when I get home, assuming that some of the 'alternative' things there are things I probably don't want to view at work.

I'm interested in oxygen primarily because people speak so highly of it, and I'm not putting anything into my body that isn't already there.  Is this something that has to be prescribed?  Is it expensive? Do you know if insurance companies cover this by chance?  Unfortunately my finances are tight.  I am fighting just to get my health insurance co to cover my inexpensive acid reflux medication.

I can't take Lithium, as I already take an anti-depressant and mood stabilizer that is successful and don't want to mess with it.  I'd really like to find treatment that wont cost me wellbeing in any other aspect of my life.  I really hope that is possible.  On the other hand, I'm willing to try anything at some points.  Also I read that SSRI's can help, but those make me very mentally unstable and make me feel suicidal so I can't just switch my anti-depressant to an SSRI and kill two birds with one stone.  I wish it were that easy.

I feel like if I come in armed with as much knowledge as I can, my neuro might take me a little more seriously.  The problem is, my head hurts too damn much most of the time to concentrate on a meager Google search.  So I apologize if I ask too many questions.  Also, I did this with my primary care doctor.  I came in with printed info, a headache diary, and told her right off what I thougth it was.  She just agreed and told me to take Tylenol, like previously stated.  I half think that she wouldn't have come to the conclusion herself since it's so rare if I hadn't handed it to her.  I'll happily hand a treatment plan over to my neuro if he'll sign off on it, I just don't know what it should be yet.  Being my own doctor makes me a tad nervous.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 3:22pm

Oxygen from medical sources requires a prescription. Welding 02 is the same stuff, there just aren't as stringent regulations on the the containers, many here use welding 02.

Both Kaiser, my previous insurance, and CIGNA, my current provider cover 02 100%. Although CIGNA did charge me $4 for the re breather mask they sent with the 02! If your insurance won't cover it, you'll find it's pretty cheap. Back before I convinced Kaiser to cover it, I was paying $4.25 a month per E-Tank I rented and $12 per refill. The regulators can be expensive although several have posted links to E-Bay sites for reg's as low as $20. PM me if you need help with a regulator.

The good news is you don't have to be your own doctor, just your own best advocate. We have the research here to back the claims that oxygen works. Sometimes it takes a bit of work to get the neuro's to read it! Here's hoping you get lucky and catch a neuro who is either on the ball, or open minded enough to read what you bring him/her.

Joe

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 6:33pm

Good thing you don't like narcotics, because for this condition, they don't do squat. 

There are a lot of sufferers here to give you good advice (I'm a supporter of my CH husband - he's had them [diagnosed] for 20 years).

O2 should be your first line of defense.  It's mostly side-effect free and reasonably priced.  I can't imagine any doctor NOT prescribing it.  It WORKS!  My husband can abort an attack in under 10 minutes.  Now that he has the really high flow regulator, he can abort it in about 3 minutes.  The RIGHT equipment and procedure is a must.  Non-rebreather mask, high flow regulator, and hit the O2 at the first sign of an attack. There's no glory in trying to wait it out or tough it out.  There's only pain.  Don't let them talk you into an O2 concentrator, or a nasal canula.  You need the right equipment to fight this beast.

If you have a companion or spouse or friend who has helped you through these attacks, please feel free to send them here.  We support supporters here, too.  I can't tell you how important it is to feel part of the family.  Knowing one is not alone in your fight or your support is almost as important as the correct treatment.

Welcome home.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 6:33pm

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 3:22pm:
The regulators can be expensive although several have posted links to E-Bay sites for reg's as low as $20. PM me if you need help with a regulator.

Indeed.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 7:01pm

Take the O2 info posted on this site (see the yellow button to the left) and also perhaps some of the PDF's that Bob Johnson posts on the treatment board. Those contain medical studies etc - just the kind of stuff your neuro will want to see if he/she is not familiar with treating CH's with O2.

You're so far ahead of the game in getting diagnosed with CH so soon after your first series. Best of luck with the neuro appt.

Christy

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 7:51pm

Hi Oracle - you've had a load of good advice above which will start to make a huge difference to how you handle your CHs, rather than them controlling you. Just start reading through this forum and the various links on the left side of the page. The more you learn, the more you'll be in control.

For the energy drinks, you need to make sure they contain both taurine and caffeine. Depending on where you are in the world, they'll be Red Bull plus a number of other similar drinks. Just drink one down just as you realise a CH is about to hit and you'll find it helps cut down the duration and intensity. I've got cans around the house, in the car, etc, so I know I've got one nearby.

And if you've questions, just ask.

IP Logged

Mosaicwench
CH.com Sponsor

www.mosaicwench.com

Near Milwaukee WI, USA
Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 9:41pm

I think some of the "odder" energy drinks might be regional (maybe not, but it's a guess).  We're near Milwaukee (so close to Chicago) and my husband likes Venom and NOS.

“Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.”
~Flaubert
WWW http://www.facebook.com/home.php?id=1240423960&ref Mosaicwench  
IP Logged

Oracle
CH.com Newbie

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 10:50am

Mosaicwench wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 9:41pm:
I think some of the "odder" energy drinks might be regional (maybe not, but it's a guess).  We're near Milwaukee (so close to Chicago) and my husband likes Venom and NOS.

Thanks, I'm in Chicago.  I just found out this morning that the sundries store in my office building sells a couple energy drinks.  I bought a couple to try them out to see which works better.

Question for everyone regarding the oxygen.  Is there a portable solution?  Is it possible to have it with me when I'm out and about, or at work?

IP Logged

Oracle
CH.com Newbie

Reply #12 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 10:59am

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 4th, 2010 at 3:22pm:
Oxygen from medical sources requires a prescription. Welding 02 is the same stuff, there just aren't as stringent regulations on the the containers, many here use welding 02.

Both Kaiser, my previous insurance, and CIGNA, my current provider cover 02 100%. Although CIGNA did charge me $4 for the re breather mask they sent with the 02! If your insurance won't cover it, you'll find it's pretty cheap. Back before I convinced Kaiser to cover it, I was paying $4.25 a month per E-Tank I rented and $12 per refill. The regulators can be expensive although several have posted links to E-Bay sites for reg's as low as $20. PM me if you need help with a regulator.

The good news is you don't have to be your own doctor, just your own best advocate. We have the research here to back the claims that oxygen works. Sometimes it takes a bit of work to get the neuro's to read it! Here's hoping you get lucky and catch a neuro who is either on the ball, or open minded enough to read what you bring him/her.

Joe

Thanks again for all of this info.  I did read clusterbusters...it was very fascinating but I didn't quite understand the theory of how that worked.  I don't believe it doesn't.  The evidence is compelling.  My head hurt too much to grasp the science at the time.  It's good to know there are options available to me in case I get caught up in failed treatments for an extended period of time.

IP Logged

Dallas Denny 62
CH.com Old Timer

Semper Fi !!!!

Island Bayou Mushroom Farm
Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 11:09am

Question for everyone regarding the oxygen.  Is there a portable solution?  Is it possible to have it with me when I'm out and about, or at work? [/quote]

Most definately oracle!!  I have an E sized tank (about 30" tall and 4" in diameter and a two wheeled cart.......it follows me like a lost puppy dog when I'm in cycle along with a full spare!!

Dallas Denny

I am lost and have gone to find myself....if you should see me before I get back....please ask me to wait until I return!!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 4:02pm

Like Denny, I cart around the E-Tank. Those soccer chairs the soccer moms carry to all the games? They are the perfect size to cart your E-Tank around with so no one is the wiser. When I was still working I kept an E-Tank in the trunk of my cruiser while on cycle. More then once I was driving to a call while huffing 02 to kill an attack! Cuts down on my sick leave useage.

Joe

IP Logged

1haunted1   ,-(
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Minnesota
Reply #15 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 11:50pm

hello oracle.
I've had headaches 22 yrs.

This is my routine:

1. Remain calm as possible.

2.Empty my bladder

3.Then I grab an ice pack and wrap it with a thin. clean(no strong scents) dish towel, wrap it once or twice(depends on preferrence that day)

4.Look for dark or dimmly lit room.(cool bathroom usually everywhere)

5.Get comfortable, gently apply ice pack to lips, nose, cheek bone, forehead, temple, top of head and back of neck alternating to areas that feel good at that moment.

6.Keep remaining calm. I try not to let what other people might be thinking bother me. I try not to let my thoughts bother me. I try not to think any thoughts at all. If I cant stop thinking, I start thinking about all the people here that suffer beside me.

I too avoid drugs. I use imitrex to stop my head aches, that works about 85% of the time for me. (at company parties,christmas,thanksgiving,driving emergencies, at the movies, etc.)

My wife sometimes "tickles" my back, strange but true.(works for me)

Explain to your boss or anyone else who may need to know, whats going on as soon as you can, they usually do understand, and may provide you some space to deal with these things.

When driving I pull over as soon as I can, big parking lots(believe it or not) provide privacy. Adjust my schedule. And deal with headache the best I can.
Im new to this site and to posting, so I hope this isnt to long. I also have not been able to try some things suggested here yet, but plan to soon.
Continue seeing your doctor. And I pray you find your routine and all goes well. good luck.
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2010 at 11:53pm by 1haunted1   ,-( »  

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #16 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 3:03am

Hi Oracle, nice picture.  Well you have gotten great advice and should be able to experiment and advocate just fine.  Now on to other important stuff.....

If it turns out you have our friend the clusterheadache then you will most likely have it for life at semi-regular intervals.  The sooner you educate yourself the less pain you will have.  I know you came to us in your cycle and the amount of time and energy you have for research will be limited until your cycle ends.  Use your pain free time wisely. 

You may get a good neuro and you may not.  If you aren't going the pharmaceutical drug route then you can fight effectively with caffeine, oxygen and the cluster busters.  Go check in over there if interested.  Since I checked in there over 2 years ago I have had only 2 attacks, not cycles, attacks.  That stuff is powerful and if you work the oxygen and caffeine in for shadows and stray hits then you will be doing pretty good.

Look at melatonin if you have nighttime attacks.

We can still lead mostly normal lives if we take control of our care.  Get your close family or caring friends on board if you can to help out.

Good luck! Smiley

--Shaggy

IP Logged

Oracle
CH.com Newbie

Reply #17 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 11:38am

shaggyparasol wrote on Aug 6th, 2010 at 3:03am:
Hi Oracle, nice picture.  Well you have gotten great advice and should be able to experiment and advocate just fine.  Now on to other important stuff.....

If it turns out you have our friend the clusterheadache then you will most likely have it for life at semi-regular intervals.  The sooner you educate yourself the less pain you will have.  I know you came to us in your cycle and the amount of time and energy you have for research will be limited until your cycle ends.  Use your pain free time wisely. 

You may get a good neuro and you may not.  If you aren't going the pharmaceutical drug route then you can fight effectively with caffeine, oxygen and the cluster busters.  Go check in over there if interested.  Since I checked in there over 2 years ago I have had only 2 attacks, not cycles, attacks.  That stuff is powerful and if you work the oxygen and caffeine in for shadows and stray hits then you will be doing pretty good.

Look at melatonin if you have nighttime attacks.

We can still lead mostly normal lives if we take control of our care.  Get your close family or caring friends on board if you can to help out.

Good luck! Smiley

--Shaggy

Thanks!  My neuro appointment isn't until next Wednesday so I've just been waiting it out with energy drinks on hand.  I got some things together for cluster busters thinking it wouldn't be a horrible idea to have something on hand in I have to go through multiple doctors, or treatment plans with the doctor I'm going to see end up with a lot of trying and erring.

My boyfriend has been incredibly helpful in supporting my decision to use cluster busters (though I half wonder how much of his support is due to curiosity), and also in finding my bag of "head peas" (a bag of frozen peas in my freezer that I haven't touched in god knows how long, but countours perfectly to my head when the headaches start) and an energy drink if it gets so bad all I can do is hold my head and say a lot of bad words.

IP Logged

Oracle
CH.com Newbie

Reply #18 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 10:57am

Just an update:

I saw my neurologist this morning, he was pretty quick in agreeing that it's cluster headaches.  He sent me home with samples of Zomig (nosespray) and Frova (pill) and a prescription for 12 days of prednisone and Topamax.  I'm to try the nose spray when the headache comes on, but no more than twice a day.  He suggested taking a Frova first thing in the AM to see if that wards off any morning headaches.  I'm to take Topamax every night as a preventative.

We're trying and erring with abortives, if the nose spray doesn't work we will talk about some injections and oxygen.  He said oxygen is great and can help, but he said he's had experiences where health insurance wont cover it unless we try other things first.

Looking forward to something working!  I had a not so severe headache on the way back from the office and tried one of the nose spray samples and it worked.  I don't know how well it will handle a severe attack though.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #19 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 1:47pm

Sounds like you got lucky and have a doc who knows someabout CH! Hoping the nose spray slams the big hits for you too.

Topomax has a loyal following here although some still refer to it as "dopemax" due to side effects they got from it, can make some people a little loopy!

If you're anything like me, the pred will stop your attacks completely, but when you come off the pred, keep the abortives ready. For me the pred doesn't make the headaches go away, just hides them behind a big concrete dam...when I go off the pred, the dam breaks and I get creamed.

By starting you on the topomax, using the pred as a transition med, the hope is the topomax will have built up enough to take over for the pred. That's how I use it with my lithium.

Wishing you some serious pain free time. Wink

Joe

IP Logged

Oracle
CH.com Newbie

Reply #20 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 5:12pm

I don't understand what happened.

I left the doctor Wednesday morning, on the train home I got a headache.  Used one Zomig nasal spray sample. Success.  Went to work, didn’t have a headache again the rest of the day.  I took my first Topomax before bed.  I was to start them just in the evening at first in case they made me dopey but if I was fine on them, I could take one in the AM and one in the PM as well.

Thursday I started the Prednisone.  Six the first day.  I took them, I had some reactions to them (hot flushes mostly) but nothing serious and my head didn’t hurt all day until around 8pm.  By 8pm I’d have AT LEAST 5 headaches on a typical day.  This wasn’t a major headache but I used my other nasal spray sample.  Success. Took a Topomax before bed.

Friday I decided I would try a Topomax in the morning, I did.  Started to taper down to five Prednisone.  No headaches at all on Friday.  Took a Topomax before bed.

Saturday I slept all day.  I don’t know why.  I woke up in the evening – 7ish.  I didn’t take an AM Topomax because I’d slept through the morning, and I didn’t take any Prednisone because I was supposed to take 5 and I didn’t think I should take 5 all at once.  I did take a Topomax later in the evening (10-ish) because I was going to go back to bed.

By 11 pm I had the worst headache I’ve had since this whole thing started.  I was crawling the floors, climbing the furniture, pulling at my hair, sobbing, pushing at things, I didn’t have any nasal spray left.  I took a Frova but it did nothing.  It lasted about 45 minutes.  It was agony.  I wanted to go to the ER but I knew nothing could be done.  I waited it out, and since then I’ve been spent.  I was finally able to get to sleep but all day yesterday and today I’ve felt very disconnected and I’ve had constant pain.  Not agonizing like it was, but constant.  Excruciating comes and goes in seconds.  It gets worse when I bend over.  On Sunday I took a Topomax in the morning and picked up where I left off on the Prednisone (tapered down to 5) and took a Topomax before bed.  Today is Monday, I took a Topomax this morning and have tapered the Prednisone down to 4.  I called the neurologist and they said they would call in some of the nasal spray for me, but they haven’t yet.

Did I do something wrong?  Did the medicine do something wrong?  I don’t understand what happened.  I don’t feel dopey otherwise or weird otherwise.  Just pain.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #21 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 5:43pm

Just guessing but I think jumping off the pred might have bitten you. The first few times I tried Prednisone, I took nothing else with it. The idea was to abort the cycle with a quick pred burst. When I'd come off the prednisone I'd get hits that absolutely creamed me. K-10's that really slammed the noggin.

Having said that it's such a damned crap shooting figuring cause and effect with CH. May have been you'd have gotten slammed even with the prednisone on board. Not lecturing at all here, but please be careful with the pred dosing. It's a high horsepower med, they tend to be pretty careful with how you ramp down on it to minimize the negative side effects. Coming off cold turkey can bugger up the body a bit!

I don't recall, have you had any luck getting the 02 prescribed??? That'll really help with the slammers when you come off the pred too,

Joe

IP Logged

Art S
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB! But these
Headaches S*ck

Frankfort, KY
Reply #22 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 9:58pm

As Joe said, I suspect it have something to do with the prednisone.  You probably would have been better off slowly taking those 5 during your waking hours.  Not a good idea to skip a day on a high dosage like that.  I sometimes wonder why I agree to the prednisone taper when i start my cycles.  I guess it's just nice to have a few PF days.  If the taper doesn't abort the cycle for me, more often than not the damn things come back with a vengance for a bit.  I've had it rough the last couple of days, but for the most part, O2 and imitrex injections are keeping these things from slamming me too hard.  Sunday was bad, I ran out of imitrex and forgot to go to the pharmacy.  My taper ended.  O2 didn't catch that one.  It came back and was PISSED!

Having said all that, I think you should take this into your own hands and find out from your insurance company what their policy is on O2.  A lot of good info on how to get the prescription here Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; Most of them will pay with the proper diagnosis.  Next, print out some of that info and bring it too him/her.  If he's still hesitant, find a new doc.  Helped me with my doc, now I'm hooked on O2  Grin

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #23 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 8:25am

I agree with what has been said above. Don't screw around with the meds...neither the taper nor the build of topomax. Take them as prescribed. AND...build up your defenses with effective abortives as quickly as possible. Since Zomig worked, get a Rx. Get O2 and read up on how to use it. Get some kind of energy drink (with caffeine and taurine) and slam it at the first hint of a hit. Try adding Melatonin at night (9-18mgs) but if the Pred is making you sleepy, you might be even sleepier after taking the Melatonin. Build up your arsenal, OK? Blessings. lance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!