Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Happy to have found all of you! (Read 1442 times)
musician56
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Happy to have found all of you!
Aug 2nd, 2010 at 4:08am

Spent the last two days learning about CH.  Been misdiagnosed as migraines.  Seeing my doctor in two weeks and will educate him and beg for O2.  Started CHs about five years ago...cycle lasts about five weeks, usually one headache a day, ended up in ER once.  Remission period usually 14-15 months.  Alcohol is a definite trigger.  Started pounding water (WWW) yesterday and hope to find relief.  Bought Red Bull for tonight...I'm already shadowing about 2 hours earlier than usual.  Also bought melatonin but will get doctor permission first since I'm on propanolol for high blood pressure.  Thanks so much for this website and reading the posts in this forum has brightened my disposition and given me hope. Smiley

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Re: Happy to have found all of you!
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 6:47am

You've read and picked up a few things already that may help span the two weeks until your doctor visit.  Let us know how it's going and I hope he's familiar with CH enough to prescribe you something like oxygen, referring you to a neuro is a longer wait. 

Even an air conditioner vent may help in the meantime, or an ice pack.

Welcome

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 7:11am

Welcome, and while it is way too bad you need to be here, it's good you have your way to us. When you're pushing for O2, make sure you push for a non-rebreather mask and for a high flow valve. Unless the doc is experienced in ch's, they usually go for a low flow chronic respiratory rate (3-6, or 8lpm) when we need upwards of 15-25lpm. You probably know this from your reading, but a few have come back with scrips that won't do the trick. Let us know how you fare. Blessings! lance

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 7:29am

Welcome!  Glad you found us, sorry you had to.  Looks like you've got a great attitude - the best way to deal with Ch is to learn all you can and educate your doctor if you need to.  Agree that 02 should definately be on your list of things to ask (DEMAND) from your doctor!

Good luck, let us know how you get on. 

Kate

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 9:47am

Knowledge is definitely your best ally. Read like a madman and make sure your doc understands you have a good grasp of your condition, and would like to help him help you. Good luck getting the 02!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

shaggyparasol
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Portland, OR
Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 12:13pm

Hi Musician, welcome to our club of nuts and crazy zoo animals! Cheesy

Anywho, call me a medical industry cynic but...... I would have a backup plan for oxygen if that is what you want to use.  If you are getting hammered right now, I would read up on the welders oxygen and  acquiring the mask and regulator online.  All sounds simpler than what many go through here with their doctors.

Bet you could have it up and running by the end of this week. Wink

The established medical world has its' usefulness, our condition isn't one of them. (oops, was that my outside voice?? where's my filter today?? Tongue)

--Shaggy

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 3:24pm

Has anyone mentioned O2 yet?  Cheesy

I heartily second Shaggy's rebel notions of going around the medical establishment and getting the relief you need ASAP instead of waiting and waiting around.

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 4:56pm

Welcome to CH.com. I'm a guitarist. You may want to print out the link below about O2, to help make your Doctor understand.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

musician56
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 5:40pm

Thank you to all of you who have responded and given so much support already.  Yeah, an hour after putting up my first post, the devil returned with a vengeance and I did the dance.  Took my imitrex, drank a Red Bull.  After 20 minutes of agony, decided to start physical activity which seems to bring the headache to an end after another 15 minutes or so.  It's the extra oxygen from the exercise that must be helping, but who the heck wants to exercise when it's sleep time?!  I've been drinking tons of water, but not seeing any relief from that.  Mahalo nui kakou (big thanks to all) from Hawai'i! Smiley

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 6:32pm

So you're taking imitrex pills?

Just asking because we se a LOT of Chers being prescribed pill form even though it is generally ineffcetive. The injectible form on the other hand kicks in strong and quick.

While you're waiting for the O2, you might also try putting your nose up to a blasting car or house air conditioning vent and breathing the very cold air deeply for 10 - 15 min. or so.

That'll abort hits for me during the first week or so of an episode, and I've seen others report some success with it. Do this along with a Red Bull right at the onset and my fingers are crossed it could help abort some of your Kilauea sized hits.

Count me in as another member of the (large?) CH/guitarist community.  Cool Dallas Deny too.  Smiley

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

musician56
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 12:18am

Thanks, Bejeeber!  I've been reading/learning more and more that the pills are indeed ineffective and I was thinking that too, since they are effective only part of the time.  I will definitely tell my doc that I want injectables.  Oh, BTW, I am not a guitarist...piano, conductor.  Thank God I have never had an attack while performing!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!