Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Warrior gone Guru (Read 7760 times)
Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Warrior gone Guru
Reply #25 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 5:41pm

I'd never had any energy type drink in my life until a couple of months ago when I read about the Red Bull "trick" here. I've found that it makes a huge difference when I do get a CH in that it drops the duration down from what was typically 45-70 minutes to 5 - 15 minutes. I've also noticed that the intensity has dropped too.

Whilst the exact mechanism is not known, it is suspected that the caffeine / taurine is acting as a vasoconstrictor.

As to all the kids using it, well they are just falling for all the marketing.

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #26 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 7:51pm

1Haunted1 you are fitting in here quite nicely and I am glad you have found some useful information here!  Cool

On another note;
Advice here is freely given, however; it is up to the receiver whether or not to use the advice or round file it.   Tongue

As to how certain advice is offered, when discussing certain options caution is a rule to follow and the PM's work great!   Wink

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #27 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 8:58pm

... well if I was stuck out in the forest with no meds etc and got hit, thanks to this place I'd know exactly what to do....  run on the spot!  Vigorous exercise works   Wink

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #28 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 9:33pm

Quote:
lets face it nothings been provin yet.

Surely you jest.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #29 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 8:08am

Quote:
desperate people take desperate measures. So brew please be careful how you extend your advice.

Exactly. And it was out of desperation after 22 years that I looked for, and found, this site. Here I found a fellowship of sufferers who had found a way to remain on this side of desperation. And a willingness to share what works for them. That is a key ingredient in any site such as this one: we share what works (lay stress upon the next phrase) for us. Another phrase you'll hear around here is "everyone is diferent." If Brew, and others, did not share with me I would still be in desperation. So...stick around, be humble in the face of the pain others feel, and contribute meaningfully to the hope we so "desperately" need. Blessings! lance

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #30 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 9:31am

Very eloquently put Lance! Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #31 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 4:50pm

I am a big mind over matter person myself.  I know that if I remain calm during a hit (it's really a lot harder than it sounds) the chances of it ramping up to suicidal type pain are lower than if I let my B.P. go through the roof.  It took YEARS for me to realize and try this.  But it does help.  I call it "embracing the pain" ( I stole that line from Robert Jordan).  It is a state of mind that I get into and just think "It's pain, that's all it is and it wont stop until it's done, so I might as well just wait for it to be done".  Do I still use abortives?  Yes I do, but not nearly as many as I did in my early years.  Does CH affect different people differently?  Most certainly.  But I understand where the original poster is coming from and agree with him on quite a bit.  I've been a pacer, crawler, head-banger, screamer, whiner, pounder, prayer, you name it.  But since I've learned to "calm down" and behave myself, the hits are more manageable and the cycles are shorter (I think the latter is due to using fewer triptans - just my opinion, I'm no doctor). 

So with all that stuff out of the way, welcome to the community and I hope you find relief where and when you can.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #32 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 7:15pm

Agostino Leyre wrote on Aug 5th, 2010 at 4:50pm:
I know that if I remain calm during a hit (it's really a lot harder than it sounds) the chances of it ramping up to suicidal type pain are lower than if I let my B.P. go through the roof.  It took YEARS for me to realize and try this.  But it does help.  I call it "embracing the pain" .... 

But since I've learned to "calm down" and behave myself, the hits are more manageable and the cycles are shorter.

100% same for me.  Keeping calm during a hit makes all the difference to my pain levels and ability to manage the cycle!!!

Kate

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #33 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 9:57pm

I am a big mind over matter person myself.  I know that if I remain calm during a hit (it's really a lot harder than it sounds) the chances of it ramping up to suicidal type pain are lower than if I let my B.P. go through the roof.  It took YEARS for me to realize and try this.  But it does help.  I call it "embracing the pain" ( I stole that line from Robert Jordan).  It is a state of mind that I get into and just think "It's pain, that's all it is and it wont stop until it's done, so I might as well just wait for it to be done".  Do I still use abortives?  Yes I do, but not nearly as many as I did in my early years.  Does CH affect different people differently?  Most certainly.  But I understand where the original poster is coming from and agree with him on quite a bit.  I've been a pacer, crawler, head-banger, screamer, whiner, pounder, prayer, you name it.  But since I've learned to "calm down" and behave myself, the hits are more manageable and the cycles are shorter (I think the latter is due to using fewer triptans - just my opinion, I'm no doctor). 

So with all that stuff out of the way, welcome to the community and I hope you find relief where and when you can.

Dang near word for word agreement here. It was a near epihany when I FINALLY figured out my own reaction was only making things worse....

Oh...that and verapamil, zomig ns, and oxygen (my buddy!)

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

1haunted1   ,-(
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Minnesota
Reply #34 - Aug 5th, 2010 at 10:54pm

I agree, I also get fewer headaches and shorter cycles, "embracing the pain"(as strange as it sounds). I believe also that its due to the triptans causing rebound headaches.

But for me I have to refer to it as state of mind, not mind over matter (personal head game) because I have tried forcing them away with absolutely no success.

Agostino have you tried oxygen, red bull,  and is it called maritol? If so how did they work for you?

IP Logged

1haunted1   ,-(
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Minnesota
Reply #35 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 1:43am

I tried Red bull for headaches recently without success. I only tried a few times. Is there anything else I should be doing with it to make it more successful?

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #36 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 2:55am

1haunted1   ,-( wrote on Aug 9th, 2010 at 1:43am:
I tried Red bull for headaches recently without success. I only tried a few times. Is there anything else I should be doing with it to make it more successful?

What works for me is that as soon as I feel a CH about to start I drink a can as quickly as I can. I've cans around the house, car, work, etc, so it's easy to grab one.

That's all I do and it seems to work for me.

IP Logged

jayhedges
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #37 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 9:07am

This is a great thread because it causes those of us who have been around for a while (many much longer than me) to reaffirm our personalized treatment plans and learn about more coping tools. My experience:
1. Red Bull helps with shadows and enhances my O2 when taken before O2 treatment. It has never aborted a real HA
2. High flow O2 is the only real abortive for an HA I have experienced. Don't leave home without it when in cycle.
3. Relaxation techniques, breathing, jaw, neck and head stress relieving exercises reduce my stress level.
4. Having a plan and confidence in it reduces my stress level.
5. Mind over matter (confidence/faith) is a real thing and reduces my stress, but has never been enough to abort an HA for me.
6. Reducing stress can only help and should be part of our arsenal.
7. I think most of us agree that there are very few drugs that we can count on and even fewer with no side affects.
7. Busting with your "tool" of choice is the real deal for many of us and no known side affects.
8. Red Bull has a massive market and there are not enough of us in the world to impact their sales.
9. The kids and celebs are getting screwed up on prescription meds in this country, and cocaine and additives. The busting tools reference here are not addictive and very natural.

Just my 2 cents and thanks for the great post

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #38 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 10:03am

And danged well put Jay...interesting how many of your "commandments" refer to your attitude towards CH. Smiley

Joe

IP Logged

bejeeber
CH.com Hall of Famer

Gnashville
Reply #39 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 12:00pm

Haunted1, count me in as another one who has aborted shadows with Red Bull, never a real CH hit.

In fact I had a strong shadow the other day (or was it a low level hit?) that had gone on for a good while before I chugged the Red Bull, and that's the first one I remember the Red Bull not working on. I ended up going to the car and doing the deep breathing thru the nose on the blasting/freezing air conditoner vent, and that killed it outright.

Jay, I'm in  agreement with much of your ten commandments, and I'm a vocal proponent of busting, but last time I checked, there can be side effects associated with busting during the relatively short time one is under the influence.  Wink

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2010 at 4:00pm by bejeeber »  

CH according to Bejeeber:

Strictly relying on doctors for CH treatment is often a prescription that will keep you in a whole lot of PAIN. Doctors are WAY behind in many respects, and they are usually completely unaware of the benefits of high flow 100% O2.

There are lots of effective treatments documented at this site. Take matters into your own hands, learn as much as you can here and at clusterbusters.com, put it into practice, then tell this CH beast Jeebs said hello right before you bash him so hard with a swift uppercut knockout punch that his stupid horns go flinging right off.
bejeeber bejeeber Enter your address line 1 here  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #40 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 12:17pm

bejeeber wrote on Aug 9th, 2010 at 12:00pm:
...but last time I checked, there can be side effects associated with busting during the relatively short time one is under the influence.  Wink

There can also be increased headache activity for a few days following a busting session.

Which is anti- Grin, or  Cry

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

bige7593
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Philadelphia Area
Reply #41 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 2:35pm

Hello All,

I am new here and was doing as the site asked and reading before posting. I was getting ready to post my own little personal tidbits and horror story, when I stumbled upon this post.

Just a little background I have been struggling with the Beast for 12 years now! I am just learning about a lot of this stuff now. As many of you I am sure, I went misdiagnosed for a long time. Well when I think back to those times before the verpamil, and triptans, Hoping the O2 soon (as insurance would not pay for from last visit) I am not sure what has REALLY worked? I remember the Beast coming knocking and taking Advil or Tylenol or whatever other HA medicine was lying around, sitting there with a cold rag and gently rubbing the area around my eye and to my nose (which I still do to this day)!!! Honestly I am not sure anything else has worked any better. Although I am eager to try (especially the O2)! Anyway, most of us have said the Beast is a strange animal and who really knows if the time you took a red bull if it did anything, or was it just a CH that was never gonna go above a 3 on the kip? I am in no way trying to be a naysayer (especially since I am new here) Whatever works - works, and if it be a red bull or just plain will power then nuthin for nuthin I am trying it!!!!

I have another MRI tonight (just to piss me off - lol) and a Neurology appt on friday.

Hopefully I will get my own little Bio up before the day is out - so keep an eye out.

Hope everyone can be Pain Free, and lets Kick this Beasts A$$!!!

Lets go Phillies,
E  - aka Erik

"It aint about how hard ya hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward! How much you can take and keep moving forward! THATS HOW WINNING IS DONE!!!" Rocky Balboa

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #42 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 3:46pm

Welocme to the board Erik, sorry you're a Phillies fan Wink but much sorrier you're friends with the beast! Yeah, oxygen really can be that good. 32 years and it's still my first line abortive. Pain free in 6-10 minutes, compared to 90-120 left untreated.

Joe   (go Padres!)

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #43 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 6:58pm

Welcome to the Board Erik !

I hope your MRI/Neuro visit goes well and you get the help you need.

Wink  As for my eye...well I already want to pull it out of my head on occasion so I'll keep it in for now, but I will watch for your bio/posting. 

PF Wishes to you!
Ging...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

Headache Boy uk
CH.com Old Timer

Matthew ch 11 v 28

Mersea Island nr Colchester
Reply #44 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 10:13pm

hello haunted

Energy Drinks have helped me with shadows I've been getting them several times a day every day since my last and first cycle ended back in December , when they get too annoying I drink a can and then wish I'd had it earlier cos usually within 5 minutes my head is clear and that feels grate.

That said I've not tried it on a full on attack as of yet .

as for meds I'll try just about anything if people here have had success with it although if it makes me feel crap it's off the list (verapamil) tried that one won't be going there again. next on my list is gabapentin .

I do believe that a positive mental attitude towards CH is essential but I don't think that I could gut it out when I have such a powerful abortive as imigran to hand , and I came here because I don't want to gut it out ever again if I don't have to ( I have enough other pain to deal with already ) .

Any way ch has brought me to this board where I have found all these people who want to help other people in dealing with every aspect of ch ,and I hope that a few years down the line when I have some experience with ch , I'll be able to return the favor .

I don't believe in coincidences , it wasn't by chance that I found this site , God puts people where they need to be  whether they know it or not , and I thank Him for that every day.

Hope you get your O2 soon , that's one I can't wait to try my self .

God bless

Nigel

You can't speak a kind word too soon, For you never know how soon it will be too late.

Some people cause happyness wherever they go, others whenever they go

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #45 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:16am

1haunted1   ,-( wrote on Aug 5th, 2010 at 10:54pm:
[quote author=2D3F2F39393E4A0 link=1280701821/31#31 date=1281041432]

Agostino have you tried oxygen, red bull,  and is it called maritol? If so how did they work for you?

Yes I have tried O2 and red bull along with many,many other things as I approach my 20th year aniversary with these things.....

O2 works great if you use it at a very high flow rate 25 lpm and up.  Red bull or other energy drinks help some times, a little, especially if you drink it early on.  Never tried maritol, sounds like a narcotic and I refuse to go down that road.  CH has not defeated me and nor will I allow it to.  So I am not going to risk my quality of life by using potentially addictive narcotics.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

bige7593
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Philadelphia Area
Reply #46 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:36pm

Guiseppi wrote on Aug 9th, 2010 at 3:46pm:
Welocme to the board Erik, sorry you're a Phillies fan Wink but much sorrier you're friends with the beast! Yeah, oxygen really can be that good. 32 years and it's still my first line abortive. Pain free in 6-10 minutes, compared to 90-120 left untreated.

Joe   (go Padres!)

That is ok, I will forgive you even though you are a Padres fan! lol  Thanks for the welcome! I have posted my own - Check it out if you get a chance.

E

"It aint about how hard ya hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward! How much you can take and keep moving forward! THATS HOW WINNING IS DONE!!!" Rocky Balboa

IP Logged

bige7593
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Philadelphia Area
Reply #47 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 4:38pm

JustNotRight wrote on Aug 9th, 2010 at 6:58pm:
Welcome to the Board Erik !

I hope your MRI/Neuro visit goes well and you get the help you need.

Wink  As for my eye...well I already want to pull it out of my head on occasion so I'll keep it in for now, but I will watch for your bio/posting. 

PF Wishes to you!
Ging...

Thanks so much for the reply! I love the eye line!!!

Same wishes to you,
E

IP Logged

joedell71
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #48 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 6:17pm

Hey man welcome. Sorry you had to find such a good group of people in such a crappy way. I long ago accepted the fact that I will probably suffer from CH for a good while longer if not the rest of my life. That realization still does not make it any easier when Tony Iommi and company crank up the amplifiers and start playing war pigs behind my right eyeball Smiley.Have you looked into getting oxygen prescribed by your doctor?? it is highly recommended by alot of senior posters here. Here's wishing you pain free days and nights. Smiley

Joe

IP Logged

Lettucehead
CH.com Old Timer

I am very blessed...

Iowa
Reply #49 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 8:14pm

Agostino Leyre wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 11:16am:
1haunted1   ,-( wrote on Aug 5th, 2010 at 10:54pm:
[quote author=2D3F2F39393E4A0 link=1280701821/31#31 date=1281041432]

Never tried maritol, sounds like a narcotic and I refuse to go down that road.  CH has not defeated me and nor will I allow it to.  So I am not going to risk my quality of life by using potentially addictive narcotics. 

Yes, Marinol (if that's the med you're referring to) can produce dependency - but it's not a narcotic.  It is a derivative of the active ingredient in marijuana and is considered a cannabinoid.  I don't know of any studies showing effectiveness for CH

Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear... 'The Terminator' AKA CH

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!